PDA

View Full Version : coastrunner 440 top speed

dspt69
20-02-2010, 07:43 AM
hi

just wondering if anybody owns a coastrunner 440 with a 40 horsepower four stroke and tell me what top speed they get say with 200kg of people and gear on board.

MickInTheMud
20-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Used to have a 435 Coast Runner with 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha.

With the clears removed and the wind up your bum she did about 24 knots.(44 km/h)

Cheers Mick.

dspt69
20-02-2010, 06:53 PM
cheers i get about the same thought i would get more

Corsie
20-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi dspt69,
I’ve seen a few of your threads, and it seems as if you are going through with your boat what I was going through last year.
I have a 450 Brooker Safari with a 40hp 4 stroke motor. I was a little disappointed with its initial performance, and wanted to get more out of it. After trying many fixes, not necessarily in the right order, I can suggest with a fair degree of confidence that you try these things in this order:
1) As basic as this sounds, learn to trim your boat correctly. Look at this link for some good information:
http://www.clubmarine.com.au/internet/clubmarine.nsf/docs/MG19-2+Technical
2) Get your engine height right. This article has been referred to in many Ausfish threads, and is very useful:

http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

For me, this alone added almost 10% to my top speed.
3) If you are still not satisfied with the performance after getting these things right, consider a foil. I attached a Permatrim, but the SE 200 or maybe 300 sound OK too. For me, the big advantages were getting up on the plane faster, and staying on the plane at lower speeds. Top speed may decrease slightly, but if the engine height is right anyhow, it should be negligible. I have had the odd issue with a bit of broaching in a following sea, and I’m not entirely sure if the foil is a contributing factor. However, for me and my purposes, the first two advantages outweigh the disadvantage.

dspt69
20-02-2010, 11:10 PM
hi corsie

cheers for that. i have already learned to trim my engine but it still has no effect on speed. i think my issue might be the engine height. i would like o think this s correct as the boat is only 6 months old but i might take it to get checked out. a hydrofoil would possibly help me aswell.

geoffmck
21-02-2010, 05:39 AM
hi corsie

cheers for that. i have already learned to trim my engine but it still has no effect on speed. i think my issue might be the engine height. i would like to think this s correct as the boat is only 6 months old but i might take it to get checked out. a hydrofoil would possibly help me aswell.

Mate my brand new motor was fitted by professionals but in my experience was (maybe still is) too low. I have a 40hp Yamaha on a 4.1 Brooker Safari and get 55kmh at the moment (standard prop), but still have some porpoising issues at mid range speed.

I have lifted it one hole (about 20-25mm) and the cav plate is just level with the bottom of the hull at the moment. It seems dealers fit lower rather than higher to ensure good propellor grip. The setting of 1 inch below the hull is within specs but being a tiller steer motor on a small hull the drag of the motor was very noiticeable. If you do a search on this site you will find plenty of discussion on motor height to help you out. Despite popular belief, most advice says have the cav plate level with the hull bottom or slightly above, not below as many believe.

All the advice says every hull/motor combination is different and you really need to play around with yours to find the best height. I am trying engine height first before trying a foil if necessary.

As you will be aware, different props also make a huge/massive diffence!
Hope this helps.

geoffmck
21-02-2010, 05:46 AM
Mate, I also meant to add I adjusted the height of my motor by:

supporting the skeg on a block of wood
loosening off the lower mounting bolts in the slotted part just enough to allow the motor to move (leaving them bolted through
removing the bolts through the holes
getting my son to raise the front of the boat/trailer with the jockey wheel.I got the idea from someone on this site (Thanks!) and it was really quite simple.

Cheers

Corsie
21-02-2010, 07:21 AM
My set-up was brand new too, but the engine was set too low. As geoffmck said, dealers tend to do this. Apparently this is so dealers don't get complaints about prop ventilation in turns and the motor sounding like it is over revving. These are more obvious than the problems you are experiencing. I took mine up 2 holes, and unless I trim the motor in before sharp turns, I do get prop slip. I'm still deciding whether to come back down a hole. Generally, however, for general cruising and fishing, the minimal amount of prop slip isn't really a hassle.

dspt69
21-02-2010, 07:12 PM
took her out today and with some constant playing with the trip down wind and balancing got bout 31 or 32 mph