PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Jackets

the gecko
20-02-2010, 06:05 AM
What does everybody recommend for wearing while fishing? I need a new summer wieght jacket, and a winter jacket as well.

For summer, I wear a Team jacket, but it doesnt breathe very well cos its heavy pvc.

In winter, I wear a dryzabone, but it does let water in, even tho I oil it up.

Im thinking of going to a ski jacket for winter, like a Columbia Titanium or North Face goretex. Its probably the only thing thats waterproof.

Dunno what to do about a summer weight jacket. So many of them are not truly waterproof.

Im interested to hear any recommendations.

cheers
Andrew

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Andrew i have been looking for a similar thing and have come down to a ski type jacket also . Daiwa do a waterproof columbia made jacket called thunderstorm made from some sort of breathable material called omnitech or something similar they look the goods but they are $169 and i have had a look at the columbia store in the valley ,they are a very thin thing i dont know if they would be prone to tear or not but maybe someone here who has one might be able to post some practical use info...mat:-/ :-/

Tackle wharehouse have them for $149 ..matt

frankgrimes
20-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Hey Andrew - I've got a "team" jacket, waterproof, and breathable...picked it up from bcf....no complaints so far.

pdf of their range http://teamaustralia.com.au/pdf/Team_Active2010.pdf

Mick

GPB
20-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm with Mick, the Team 'Stolite' are top value, waterproof-lite-good air circulation-soft, great in a boat for rain or spray.

GPB
20-02-2010, 10:59 AM
The Team Daiwa-Columbia ones seem to work as well ;D

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 11:39 AM
The Team Daiwa-Columbia ones seem to work as well ;D

Being that wet outside but where you dry under the jacket??? matt:o :o

GPB
20-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Wasn't me in the second pic Bro, but most of the modern day lite jackets are amazing

the gecko
20-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Ive just bought the Team Stolite Explorer this morning at BCF (thx mick) and it looks good for a liteweight jacket. At least its guaranteed waterproof. It has vents at the back, and the Explorer version is a cut above the basic Stolite with waterproof zips. Im not sure how hook resistant these litewieghts are tho, looks like they could tear easily.

The old Team pvc was much heavier, and wont see much use now. I'll keep it for guests.

Im still heading towards a North Face Goretex for winter. I can get one new with inner fleece for $100 on ebay, so thats sounds like a deal.

GPB, double hookup? now thats just bragging, lol. nice pic.

cheers
Andrew

cormorant
20-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Buy a secondhand offshore sailing jacket , fully breathable . Layer underneath it for winter

The pretty boy weekend sailers upgrade to the latest colours every couple of years or when the grubby marks get too much to wear it at the bar

Real step up in quality and affordable second hand.

Look at the gill website if you want to learn about both summer and winter layering as there is a lot of myths and the mountaineering and serious offshore sailing guys have a handle on it.

In summer we sometime just wear the wicking layer as it gives total sun protection and still ventilates, windproof but drys 10 minutes after you have stopped. You forget you are wearing it.

Hate sweating in old pvc stuff and will never go back to it.

GPB
20-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Andrew, it was a fun double in rough conditions ;D

I've had my Jacket for a couple of years now and its fished the coral sea a couple of times and two jig trips around NZ, as well as the usual off Mooloolaba, no holes-rips or loose seams anywhere, the only down side is the 'Parra' colours ;)

sleepygreg
20-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I you want some serious gear checkout the Musto range....very exxy though...outta my price bracket....but the bloody ex used to manage to buy the stuff....used to use it for trail riding (equestrian) trips, and it sure took some serious treatment and was light and breathed well.

Greg

cormorant
20-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Forgot to mention. The ones that aren't designed for salt water like for trecking don't work as well as ones designed for salt water. Must be a different material.

Toddy_again
20-02-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a Columbia PFG spray jacket.It cost me an arm and a leg but it is by far the best jacket of that kind I have had.Comfortable,dry and above all breathable.I hate sweating inside those plastic rain coats.

Toddy

childers
21-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Ive just bought the Team Stolite Explorer this morning at BCF (thx mick) and it looks good for a liteweight jacket. At least its guaranteed waterproof. It has vents at the back, and the Explorer version is a cut above the basic Stolite with waterproof zips. Im not sure how hook resistant these litewieghts are tho, looks like they could tear easily.

The old Team pvc was much heavier, and wont see much use now. I'll keep it for guests.

Im still heading towards a North Face Goretex for winter. I can get one new with inner fleece for $100 on ebay, so thats sounds like a deal.

GPB, double hookup? now thats just bragging, lol. nice pic.

cheers
Andrew

Gecko , i have a couple of goretex jackets , i think your better off with a shell than lined

if its cold can you can put another layer under neath , its a pain when you heat up too much , but want to stay dry ,

cormorant
21-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Gecko , i have a couple of goretex jackets , i think your better off with a shell than lined

if its cold can you can put another layer under neath , its a pain when you heat up too much , but want to stay dry ,

Yeah - easier to wash and keep clean as well. Layers are much cheaper to replace when they get worn or tatty as well. It will last longer as you don't have all the stuff on at once and you will be surprised at how often you get away with the wicking layers or light rain ones.

the gecko
22-02-2010, 10:08 AM
thanks guys, Im heading towards all of that. Im thinking of a Helly HAnsen second hand offshore jacket, and using layers. The Columbias and Nth Face ones on ebay are all fakes. Lucky Id did a bit of research on google before I bought.

The Stolite jacket did NOT perform well last night, grrrr. 30 mins of castinetting and Im soaked thru to the skin. I will give it another try, but it doesnt seem waterproof at all???

ANdrew

frankgrimes
22-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Hey Andrew - Been rained on and copped heaps of spray with mine and it kept me dry as?

megalongzilli
22-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Mate,

You should also have a look at the Burke range of sailing gear. They are an australian company and make some pretty good gear...i have the following jacket and have found it to be very capable.

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=172&item=27334&intAbsolutePage=1

I got mine on sale for $160.

Dan.

Crunchy
22-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Ditto than Dan, the Burke 3/4 works well for me and a good price, good ventilation and dry, no warmth though for the southerners but up this way that's a bonus.

spelchek
23-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I've just purchased the TrueBlue 'Storm Jacket' from True Blue Apparel (http://trueblueapparel.com.au/index.htm).
http://trueblueapparel.com.au/images/pr%20images/Storm-Jacket_01.jpg
I did a fair amounbt of research on the www for a new jacket and settled on this aussie brand. These guys make wet gear for the police, customs etc and have a great range of styles and weights of jacket. I ended up giving them a ring and they were most helpful and happy to chat about my needs. The service was very good - they took my order ~2pm thursday arvo and the jacket was delivered ~9am the next day. And I'm in bundy!! AND they shipped it for free.

Predictably, once the jacket arrived it saw the week long rain spell we were experiencing disappear like magic so I haven't been able to road test it. The jacket itself is very well made and comfy. I'm almost looking forward to a nice rainy dayon the river to see how it performs - but until then, I'll have to put up with the perfect weather it looks like being today as i look out the window.

If for no other reason than TrueBlue being an aussie company with a good range, I'd suggest giving them a look at the very least.

GBC
25-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Burke gets another vote.

Mine's an offshore racing made from R-tec 5 (goretex).

Very comfy, very dry.

About $300 from Manly marine.

P.S. Also has retro reflective pin striping through it so some built in safety too.

cormorant
25-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Bourke have a seconds store for samples etc. Call em or they might also do stuff direct on the net.

LOUIE
27-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Mate

Check out the Husky Explorer range, reasonable price, used by many people employed by fisheries and water resources organisations. Come with a liner that is removable in the summer months.

Ive been issued with Gortex and other brands over the years, this is my best performer to date.

Louie

bluefin59
27-02-2010, 10:25 AM
My wife ended up buying me the columbia thunderstorm jacket and i am heading down the coast tomorrow and there is a little rain expected so i will test it out and report back ..matt

cormorant
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
The other thing to watch with some of the jackets is what you need to do to maintain them. Some are just a hos eoff and others are more complicated. Have seen quite a few jackes stuffed by teh new "active " enzime detergents. Simple is best with no complicated instructions or expensive detergents or recoats later in their life.

the gecko
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I took cormarants advice and went for a sailing jacket after reading up on the layer effect.

I got a Musto from crimebay, as musto are less likely to be faked by a chinese sweatshop. there was a new musto that was an unwanted present to an ex sailor. ANybody selling multiple jackets like Columbia available in all sizes is likely to be fake gear that is not very waterproof.

I also see the advice on base layer is that polyester has the best wicking effect to draw sweat away from the body. Id been using 100% cotton which they say is the worst thing, as it holds 3 times its own weight in water.

cheers
Andrew

Razgo-
01-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I've just purchased the TrueBlue 'Storm Jacket' from True Blue Apparel (http://trueblueapparel.com.au/index.htm).
http://trueblueapparel.com.au/images/pr%20images/Storm-Jacket_01.jpg
I did a fair amounbt of research on the www for a new jacket and settled on this aussie brand. These guys make wet gear for the police, customs etc and have a great range of styles and weights of jacket. I ended up giving them a ring and they were most helpful and happy to chat about my needs. The service was very good - they took my order ~2pm thursday arvo and the jacket was delivered ~9am the next day. And I'm in bundy!! AND they shipped it for free.

Predictably, once the jacket arrived it saw the week long rain spell we were experiencing disappear like magic so I haven't been able to road test it. The jacket itself is very well made and comfy. I'm almost looking forward to a nice rainy dayon the river to see how it performs - but until then, I'll have to put up with the perfect weather it looks like being today as i look out the window.

If for no other reason than TrueBlue being an aussie company with a good range, I'd suggest giving them a look at the very least.

i purchased a storm rider PDF1 jacket from bias http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-2205-pfd-storm-rider-lite-inflatable-pfd-type-1.aspx

on special for $160.00 this morning. are they the same?

I tried it on and was extremely comfortable. the sleeved pull off for summer. its a manual inflatable.

Steve B
01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
been following this thread with interest as I am nearing time to get a new jacket!!

has anyone seen these...are they fakies!!!..price would suggest so, but they still look OK.

Cheers Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GoreTex-Man-Titanium-Hiking-Ski-Jacket-Double-Linings_W0QQitemZ150418642487QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Skiing_Snowboarding?hash=item2305a65637

BR65
01-03-2010, 09:14 PM
been following this thread with interest as I am nearing time to get a new jacket!!

has anyone seen these...are they fakies!!!..price would suggest so, but they still look OK.

Cheers Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GoreTex-Man-Titanium-Hiking-Ski-Jacket-Double-Linings_W0QQitemZ150418642487QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Skiing_Snowboarding?hash=item2305a65637

Thats a lot of zippers, could get confusing!

Ive got a heavy duty 3/4 length Burkes, and dont rate it, still get wet thru the front, even with the velcro flap over the zipper.
The best thing I own is the bib and brace rain paints, they are the ducks nuts.

Steve B
01-03-2010, 09:27 PM
yeah Brian, sorta looks more like a ski (thick) jacket rather than a rain/wind jacket.

I currently have a rainbird jacket which I bought about 7 years ago. Its still going strong, but I want to get something a bit lighter, but still have the wind and rain proofing.

cheers Steve

BR65
02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Let me know how you go mate, those Mondy Specials test out any rain gear, especially in summer when its both stinking hot and stinking wet.

Good thread this one, interesting to see what others are useing.

bluefin59
02-03-2010, 10:20 PM
The verdict is in on my columbia thunderstorm jacket ,its dry as i went out in the full on rain for a couple of hours and it was dry as . The only thing i could find wrong is mine is the daiwa one that has team daiwa embroided on it and that actually leaks where the columbia embroidery doesnt . I have sent of an email to daiwa to complain and will phone them tomorrow for an answer to my problem ,if they dont have an answer i will be taking it back for a refund and going down the valley and getting the standard columbia from the columbia store surly a refund is in order as it doesnt do what it is suppose to properly . Other than the leak in the daiwa embroidery the jacket would be A1 ,i will get back when i have spoken to daiwa australia in the morning ...matt

the gecko
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Cheers Steve

Goretex man was my second choice. They could be fake goretex, but they seem more like someone has sourced his own material and made his own brand in a sweatshop. At least he has 2000 sales and 99.4% feedback. Id guess that there would be more complaints if they were fake, but then again most ebayers put up positive feedback as soon as they receive the goods.
You pays your money, you takes your chances.......it worth a punt for the price.
Snowbirdinternational were another seller that seemed to have good feedback.

the fakes are mostly columbia and north face brands with 40 transactions, then they change their name when they get caught.

*****You really need to look for a brand that has a waterproof rating of 10,000mm and a breathability rating of 5,000mm.*****

cheers
Andrew

bluefin59
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Columbia gave me a new thunderstorm jacket and said once they have embroided them here they dont warranty them ,they gave me a new one without a problem and went straight out working in the yard in the rain . It works a treat ,the only moisture inside was me sweating while doing some fence work ..matt

Peter4
03-03-2010, 01:34 PM
This a great thread....I need a new rain jacket as well. Looking for lightweight and comfortable for the summer rainy periods.

Very interested in the responses so far...

What's the bet as soon as I get one the 'dry' will return!

Pete

the gecko
04-03-2010, 05:05 PM
What's the bet as soon as I get one the 'dry' will return!

Pete

We will all be happy to donate to your new jacket if you can arrange the dry to return............:-[:-[:-[

spelchek
31-03-2010, 01:39 AM
Finally gave the 'Storm Jacket' a good testing on the weekend during my trip to tin can/sandy straits. Intermittent (and heavy) showers, plus a bit of wind/chop gave me good conditions to test it.

What I can say is that the jacket IS comfortable, IS cool to wear (I wore it for a few hours on sunday) and definitely IS waterproof. Make sure the velcro is secured over the zip tho - I didn't at first and got some seepage through the zipper onto my shirt. Once that was discovered it was all good. The high neck works well - and with a 'Frillneck' hat on with the back/sides fastened outside the jacket neck I got no water down that way.

In short - it IS a very good jacket - and very light to wear. I did not sweat at all like i used to in my old Horne jacket.

I can thoroughly recommend this jacket. If you are in the market - check the Aussie product out and you will not be disappointed.

blackjew
28-06-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.villagesport.com.au/products/Team-Stolite-Waterproof-Jacket.html this mob have them for $ 46 cheap freight .

spelchek
28-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Seeing this thread has been resurrected - I bought myself a set of Ronstan bib-and-brace pants a couple of months ago and all I can say is WOW!! If you think you're dry with just a good jacket - you have NO IDEA how much comfier it is with dry legs, bum and crotch as well. I have no idea why it took me so long to go down this path - relying instead on my pig-headed stubbornness to never admit I was cold. The ronstans were on sale when I got them so only set me back $150. They have made winter overnighter out to the 12mile reefs an order of magnitude more comfy. Copped a bit of grief from my mate on the first trip out in them (wind/sweel at our back) but comming back in the morning bashing into a sea off our forward quarter (predictably putting spray all over us at every wave) he was pretty quiet - cause his teeth were chattering. "Hows the new dacks mate?" he said 1/2 way home. "Dry and warm mate - toasty warm actually - how are you doing?" All I got was a drowned rat look of death and surprisingly, I haven't copped any shit from him about them since :)

blackjew
29-06-2011, 03:15 PM
LOL,ROFL,
good one spell check,nothing worse than a wet crutch from copping a bit over the side ,after a while all your bits down there start to feel like they have sand on them .Sounds like a dam good investment to me .

Cheers Rob