PDA

View Full Version : Rod locker info

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 05:39 AM
Hi ,i am getting a rod locker built for my fin in the next couple of weeks and i know how i want it outside but i am a little confused as to how to have it inside the locker . If any of you guys with them could post some pics so i can get some ideas as to how to mount the rods and any other ideas for inside would be great,thanks in advance ...matt8-)

Scott Mitchell
20-02-2010, 05:59 AM
matt - I used Berkeley Vertical rod racks in my old Hornet locker - 4 on each side ;)

Regards Scotto

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks scott ,i was thinking along those lines but how do you fix them to the inside sheet of the rod locker ,i guess some stainless bolts from the outside is that right scott .... Thanks Matt

marty+jojo
20-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey Matt, have a look at the plate boats at Cunninghams marine, they have a very nice rod locker set up.
Marty.

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks for that marty ,i am on my way down to see col at origin this morning so i will call into cunninghams on the way thanks for the help ...matt

Mike Delisser
20-02-2010, 02:12 PM
How many rigged rods are you hoping to hold in it Matt? I seen some smick racks with the rod tip sliding up a padded pvc tube and the buts sitting in a wooded or plastic cradle with a shock cord to hold them down, they hold about 10 or 12 rods.
Been thinking of reto fitting a rod locker in my Blue Fin Wild Cat, could you let me know who's doing yours, size, cost, are you moving the seat base & the fuel tank hose over to the starboard side? ect, ect. PM if you prefer.
Cheers
Mike

bluefin59
20-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I only want to carry 4 rigged at a time with the ability to hold another couple of bare rods so 6 all up ,the locker is going to be 300x300 approx and about 2150mm .From the back hatch to the front hatch so it is all the same level and there is going to be a compartment under the front deck that will give me 10ft poking the rod tips forward. I am going to put the berkley rod holders on the inside and mount some rubber ones to hold bare rods on the supports on the fuel line side and that will stand them of enough so as not to touch the filler and breather. I dont think i will have to move the seat bases as my seats are adjustable up a notch so the lid will clear the seat . Col from ORIGIN BOATS is going to do the work for me along with a couple of other small jobs i want done his price is only a quote at this stage till he sees the boat but from what we talked about this morning his price is right ,i will post pictures and more info as it all comes together ,i am taking the boat down some time after next week end and will more than likely back in a week . I am also restickering my boat , i am in the middle of stripping of the old ones now and am ordering new ones from chris at boat names australia where you can do it online or he will come out and do it at extra cost ...matt

Mike Delisser
20-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Looking forward to the pics Matt, if the work & price are ok Col will be seeing my boat soon. One prob I have though not a biggy is the front & rear casting decks aren't the same height.
My port seat base is only 200mm from the edge so the seat will have the move accross a little, I had a look last time I had that side of the floor up and I can move it 60mm without a prob. I can also cut about 5omm off the edge of the seat base to get a little more room. The seat will still need to be lifted out to open the rod locker but I'm fine with that as I realy only want it to safely store my rigged rods while travelling on the road & at the camping grounds at night.
I assume Col is welding your locker in, does that mean you're taking the fuel tank out before you drop it down to him? And who is going to paint it if that's required?
Cheers
Mike

bluefin59
21-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Mike yes he is welding the locker in and he is taking the tank out ,i also am getting him to change the filler ,breather and fuel feed lines as well as they are 6 years old and yep the locker will be painted carpeted all to lock up . I spent yesterday afternoon peeling of all the old stickers on one side i have left the rego no for now until i get the new ones ..matt

marty+jojo
21-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Hey Matt, i am looking forward to seeing the before, during and after pics.
Marty.

bluefin59
21-02-2010, 03:39 PM
No problems marty i will post some pics when i get the job done ,boy the boat looks bare with everything of but the rego numbers ..matt

BrettoM
21-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks Matt, I am thinking about having a rod locker fitted myself. Have a new 440 Hornet Trophy on order and elected not to go as a factory option but to have done myself when fitting out. Will be keen to see the pics and your thoughts on outcome. Cheers Brett.

Mike Delisser
21-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon peeling of all the old stickers on one side i have left the rego no for now until i get the new ones ..matt

I didn't like the big "WILDCAT" down the side of mine so I peeled it off ages ago.
Thumbs are still getting over it, spraying some Oomph stain remover on it help a little bit. It woiked better than eucaliptus, tea tree, metho or acetone.
Cheers

bluefin59
21-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Mike most of my stickers peeled of fairly easily and the ones that didnt i used the hair dryer and plastic scraper then to get the last of the glue of i used DE-SLOV-IT its a natural product with some amount of orange in it ,i usually use eucaliptus oil myself but this stuff was way better....matt

Mike Delisser
21-02-2010, 05:47 PM
i used DE-SLOV-IT its a natural product with some amount of orange in it ,...matt

And it will remove those ugly wrinkles from your hands while leaving them silky smooooth and smelling sweet!!! LOL
;D ;D ;D

bluefin59
21-02-2010, 07:11 PM
These 51yr old construction workers hands can do with all the help they can get mike haha ..matt;D ;D ;D