PDA

View Full Version : hydrofoils how do they work?

dspt69
19-02-2010, 06:29 PM
just wondering what effect hydrofoils have on an outboard. also what are the best brands getting about?

wiz
19-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Do a search on this topic it has been done heaps

Have a look here should answer some of you Questions

http://www.sesport.com/5_32.asp

dspt69
19-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Do a search on this topic it has been done heaps

Have a look here should answer some of you Questions

http://www.sesport.com/5_32.asp

cheers mate thats exactly what i needed

trueblue
20-02-2010, 09:27 AM
the same foil, on an identical motor, will behave totally different on a different boat / different set up

lots of pros, lots of cons - and has to be tested to really know if it is right or wrong for your boat / setup

Cheers

Mick

dspt69
20-02-2010, 06:44 PM
the same foil, on an identical motor, will behave totally different on a different boat / different set up

lots of pros, lots of cons - and has to be tested to really know if it is right or wrong for your boat / setup

Cheers

Mick

thats the problem gotta find someone with the same set up to test it otherwise i'll be drilling holes in the cavitation plate for nothing

Jarrah Jack
21-02-2010, 08:50 AM
If you read those old threads there are two things that stuck in my mind. One ...you can get some sort of a clamp on arrangement so you don't have to drill holes......... Two... that a few people said that they can be very very dangerous in the wrong sea conditions.

darrend65
21-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Also in the old threads, they say that a few holes in the caviation plate isn't going to make a difference to the boat even if you remove the hydrofoil.

I fitted a hydrofoil to 90 Merc at Christmas. The main reason being the boat wanted to go to hang to the left with the motor trimmed down, and if I trimmed it up so it wasn't hanging it would start cavitating, especially if it was a bit rough. I asked the local boat dealer who suggested I fit hydraulic steering, and as an after thought mentioned to try a hydrofoil. So for $120 I gave it a go and couldn't be happier, no more pulling to the left and it planes at a lower speeds. It beat paying a $1,000 for hydraulic steering.

dspt69
21-02-2010, 07:38 PM
was just about to install one today and i found that i would have to drill through an adjustment trim tab to install is so i will wait a d take it to a mechanic to see what my options are

stevej
21-02-2010, 08:23 PM
when buying a second hand motor id be buying one without holes over one that has had its paint coating broken

you fit a foil to fix a perceived problem with the boat

put up to the forum what the issue is and you will prob get a response that is cheaper or easier then just bolting on another problem

STUIE63
21-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Also in the old threads, they say that a few holes in the caviation plate isn't going to make a difference to the boat even if you remove the hydrofoil.

I fitted a hydrofoil to 90 Merc at Christmas. The main reason being the boat wanted to go to hang to the left with the motor trimmed down, and if I trimmed it up so it wasn't hanging it would start cavitating, especially if it was a bit rough. I asked the local boat dealer who suggested I fit hydraulic steering, and as an after thought mentioned to try a hydrofoil. So for $120 I gave it a go and couldn't be happier, no more pulling to the left and it planes at a lower speeds. It beat paying a $1,000 for hydraulic steering.

was the trim tab properly adjusted on the motor
Stuie

Noelm
22-02-2010, 06:53 AM
a foil SHOULD have no influence on the motor pulling one way or the other, something else is/was wrong and you have just put a bandaid on it.