PDA

View Full Version : Navman VHF Question

sporty1
19-02-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a navman vhf radio and I have no problem logging on with VMR and did a radio test with them and it was fine. However out on the water I neve hear any airway traffic or sounds of any sort on any channel. Any suggestions as to why this is happeneing when others are complaining about the incessant chatter on the airways?

Marlin_Mike
19-02-2010, 06:16 PM
is your squelch too high?

Mike

BaitThrower
19-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Maybe they are on 27Mhz which seems a lot more crowded?
Perhaps hop onto some of the non-safety channels and let it sit there for a while?

indy
19-02-2010, 08:17 PM
It could be the exact problem i had with my icom it might be set to the wrong mode eg. mine had canadian united states and international, have a read of your instruction manual and see how to change it. All i had to do was push the up and down arrows (the ones that change the channel your on) together at the same time and look at your screen until the I comes up for international. Wish the guy at the shop told me this as i went through alot of trouble finding this out. Once you have done this you will have lots of annoying chatter lol.

Hope this works for you, the guy at the shop after i told him what it was he said there was also another unit that also did what mine did so it might be your brand.

cheers pete...

indy
19-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I am 99% sure that is your problem

bigjimg
20-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Sporty check your display and if local is on set to distance.Go into the menu and select Local/Dist and use the arrow keys to select Distance then press enter;) .Should see you right.Jim

QF3 MROCP
20-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Just check your power setting is on high. You may be transmitting on low.

Sporty- where are you departing from to log on with which VMR? It may be worth get a mobile phone call to the VMR when you are further out and let them you want to do another test on the radio. Keep the phone on and do the call. That way both of you can keep an ear open.

QF3

indy
22-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Did you get it sorted mate

sporty1
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Indy

Looks like I am still having problems. Went through the seaway yesterday, bobbed around in front of the seaway tower for about 30 minutes trying to log on. I couldn't get a response on either my installed VHF or the hand held. I tried throughout the day but no luck and I was only on the 18-24 fathom area. However the hand held will send to the installed radio. I am wondering if I have an antenna problem? Because at any distance it seems I cannot send or receive.
The radio is under warranty as the boat is only 6 months old, when I mentioned it at the first outboard service, the radio would send and receive to other boats in the sales yard, but I have never been able to send or recieve over distance ever since new.

When I turn the squelch up the "busy" sign appears at the top of the screen. Are there any other "tests" I can run to check the radio. If I go down the road and try the hand held VFF?

I run the same antenna with a splitter for the radio and stereo would this cause a problem?

I am starting to get frustrated and as a saftey device I need to rely on my radio as I am sure we all do.

Paul007
17-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Are you sure you are using the correct splitter? There is one for VHF and one for 27mhz.
I would take the splitter out of the circuit until you have it working.
I have 27 mhz and a VHF set in my big boat. It was supplied with the 27 mhz but that was useless in Mackay.
The nearest major island was just in 27mhz range.
I put the splitter for the music radio on the 27 mhz because I see it as the least important of the two.
The 27 mhz radio still works fine for communicating as a boat to boat radio with out clogging up VHF airwaves.