PDA

View Full Version : marine radio's

wayno60
18-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Guys,
Been fishing and boating for close on 40 years but never had a reason(boat big enought to go outside) for any sort of two way communication.
So for the SE Qld area what is the best way to go? uhf, vhf, 27mhz?!?!?!?!

blacksunday
19-02-2010, 10:00 AM
mate dont quote me on this but i do think arround that area its still mainly all 27mhz

peterbo3
19-02-2010, 10:13 AM
VHF. There are numerous repeater stations in the area which should ensure full coverage at all times. But if you fish with other boats & they use 27 Meg then you will need that. VMR monitor VHF & 27 Meg.

BaitThrower
19-02-2010, 06:31 PM
VHF is preferable of course for range, but I constantly get strong transmissions coming from the sunshine coast and point danger VMR all the time in the middle of moreton bay on my 27Mhz unit. It doesn't seem to have much problem with range.

QF3 MROCP
20-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Go and make contact with the Southport VMR or Coast Guard and have a talk to them. They'll tell you which way to go. As previous threads, there are more people, including the commercial vessels, listening and using VHF. The distress channel (MAYDAY) 16 is well monitored by all skippers and the repeater network is expanding.

While you're at it, check out if any of the local VMR's or Coast Guard are doing a radio course. You WILL learn a lot regardless of 40 years on the water! I've had 30 year commercial skippers attend courses.

Peter

www.vhfradiocourse.com (http://www.vhfradiocourse.com)