PDA

View Full Version : Consignment Selling

pog mo hoin
18-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Hey all,

A mate of mine just sold a boat through one of Brisbanes better known consignment yards, and all went well considering, he seemed a little concerned that the salesman was more interested in the requirements of the guy buying the boat than the guy selling the boat. I was just wondering if there was much of an opinion of this sort of thing, have guys sold this way before and then next time just went it alone,

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

tigermullet
18-02-2010, 06:51 PM
You friend was lucky in having such a salesman. Focusing on the requirements of the buyer is what a good salesman is all about. If they cannot listen to the buyer, stress the benefits of a particular product, be sincere and close the sale then they should not be in the game.

I take it, by your report that all went well, that the seller was satisfied too? Is that so? Did he get his price or close to it?

I think your mate you got a good one and he (the salesman) should be given a pat on the back.

Steeler
18-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Pog

No good the sales person " belly rubbing " the owner its already his.Now " belly rubbing " a prospect is what you would want from someone engaged to sell a boat on your behalf.

If he got the sort of dosh he was hoping to get i would say that's a good result.

I have been in sales at a wholesale level ever since i left school and have always sold my own boats,my personal opinion is nobody know ya rig like yourself so why not sell it yourself.

I do concede however some people would consign purely because of other commitments and just don't simply have the time.

Steve

Marlin_Mike
18-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Selling on consigment isnt my cup of tea.

Brother in law has his in a yard at the moment on consigment. As soon as he signed up...."that'll be $250.00 for a safety/condition inspection, and $350.00 for us to fully detail the boat before its for sale. Plus he has to pay for any repairs they deemed needed after their inspection. So thats a minimum $600.00 hes forked out before he even thinks about the price he wants.

I went to the yard they told me this price was on it. few days later its on their web site for $1495.00 higher than i was told. Not questioning anyones integrity, just think why give money away for inspections and checks when you can do it yourself and list it and sell it yourself.
Moneys hard enough to earn without throwing it away.

Sorry I think its money wasted selling on consignment.

Mike

boatboy50
18-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Mike,

That's just rediculous. If this is true tell us who is doing this?

Why would your friend pay these costs unless he was told about them prior.

Consignment works for many people, if you use the right yard.

Darren

Marlin_Mike
18-02-2010, 08:49 PM
He was told about them up front, thats why i said i wasnt questioning their integrity. But $350 to detail a boat? $250 to do an inspection of the boat and motor then possible repairs at more cost? Bit pricey IMHO

Too rich for me mate, i'd rather keep that in my sky rocket and do it myself.

Mike

Scaredy Cat
18-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey all,

A mate of mine just sold a boat through one of Brisbanes better known consignment yards, and all went well considering, he seemed a little concerned that the salesman was more interested in the requirements of the guy buying the boat than the guy selling the boat. I was just wondering if there was much of an opinion of this sort of thing, have guys sold this way before and then next time just went it alone,

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

As previously stated by others, and I think I know the yard in question, We as the vendors are more likely to get a better price for our boats from a yard that has a reputation of looking after the purchaser than from a yard that just wants to sell boats. If your friend did not like the service or costs associated I am sure he could have arranged his own repairs and detail or removed his boat from the yard. I believe the reasons for him choosing this particular yard are 1st the price they said he would get, 2nd their reputation 3rd the amount of boats they turn over,
I am sure you as a purchaser would not like to have outlaid all your savings to find items needing repairs and I am sure as hell I am not going to go and pay top dollar at other yard if they don’t care about me or making the boats the best they can be.

I suppose the real question is- would he have sold it at another yard and if so how much would he have gained or lost:-/

I am not in the boating industry and I do not have any interests in any yards

wrxhoon
18-02-2010, 09:43 PM
It is all well and good when it all turns out OK .
If you read the fine print in the contract you will find you are an unsecured creditor to the boat business . Say they sold the boat , they got the money and they don't pay you and in the meantime they go broke , you get nothing , no boat and no money .
I know in most cases this will not happen but what if is does ....

The above scenario is much worse than someone steling or vandalizing it because your insurance company will pay you as long as you told them the boat is going to be on consignment and they agree.

I prefer to sell my own boat but I would consider trading if the $$$ are right, same with cars .

Jarrah Jack
19-02-2010, 08:59 AM
It is all well and good when it all turns out OK .
If you read the fine print in the contract you will find you are an unsecured creditor to the boat business . Say they sold the boat , they got the money and they don't pay you and in the meantime they go broke , you get nothing , no boat and no money .
I know in most cases this will not happen but what if is does ....

The above scenario is much worse than someone steling or vandalizing it because your insurance company will pay you as long as you told them the boat is going to be on consignment and they agree.

I prefer to sell my own boat but I would consider trading if the $$$ are right, same with cars .

There is a thread here somewhere where an expensive boat was sold on consignment and the money was a long time coming and it looked at one stage that he wasn't gunna get it at all. These things can start nasty processes between the buyer, seller, insurance companies, solicitors and the yard and their trust account. So its as with all things be wary.