PDA

View Full Version : A ordinary weekend off 1770

marto78
17-02-2010, 07:05 PM
After waiting for 3-4months without a fish (because of the new addition to the family) and finally getting a leave pass for the weekend we decided to head nth for a couple of days fishing. But with the wind blowing a good 15-25Kts all Friday night we were a little bit apprehensive about putting the 5.1m cc in the next morning and heading out to Fitzroy lagoon for the weekend. But as luck would have it the weather prediction was pretty close to spot on when we put the boat in the water at 5.30am and with a 10 Knt ESE and a bit of chop we headed out to the bait grounds where we managed to sound up a big fat zilch on all the usual marks.

We decided to try another mark that vertico had given us out a bit wider and found a few small schools but getting them to the boat was a real challenge with the schools of mackeral that were feeding on them. After an hr of jigging for 5 yakkas, a doggy and 4 busted and one completely lost bait jigs (chomped at the swivel) we decided to head out wide to some better grounds.

We arrived at one of our red marks a bit later in the afternoon after some uneventful drops at a few marks on the way out with the wind blowing a solid 10-15Kts. We had a quick sound around and found some half descent shows so decided to have a drop and managed to hook up to a few good fish only to pull the hooks after a quick fight. We did manage a couple of spanglies and a cod before heading back into the lagoon for the night.

Sunday morning saw us heading nth to some trout marks that produced good fish on a previous trip but were unproductive for us this time. The rest of the day was saw us pulling in hussar and tuskies slowly topping up the pitiful looking esky. The wind had dropped off in the afternoon and we managed one descent trout and found a new mark that I pulled the red and red throat off. We were running low on fuel so decided to call it a day and headed back into the lagoon.

In the mornig on Monday we pretty much had breakfast, emptied the last of the jerry cans into the boat and headed back to the ramp to start the 6hr drive back to Brisbane.

All up it has to be one of the worst trips I've had up there fish wise but it felt great to be back out in the boat after such a long break, even if the weather was a bit ordinary. Am already thinkng about the next trip.

Cheers Marto

vertico
17-02-2010, 07:38 PM
nice fish mate and good to see those PEtackle flys working on the reds for yah!

Donny Boy
17-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Geez, still not that bad............

My last 2 trips have got me a combined total of 25 fish less than you got. :'(

hookinin
17-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Have to agree sometime its just good to be out in your boat and the fish are a bonus. Nice mixed bag.
Cheers Gaven.

Mattg68
17-02-2010, 08:35 PM
now, now, don't be greedy. i know it may seem pitiful after your sabbatical but hey.....it's natures way of keeping you in check.

Good mix of keepers though Marto. effort.

matt

marto78
18-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Hey guys it wasnt just the fishing that was ordinary (we did over 300km) the weather was very ordinary giving us and the boat a pounding, the T-Top ended up cracking on one of the welds from the weight of the rods so its off to get welded back up next week
marto

treno82
18-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Still top fishing mate well done

poolman
18-02-2010, 05:25 PM
could of been worse,it is a long haul from brissy when the catch is not what you expected though

Fishbait
19-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I reckon that's an awesome session - some nice big fish there. Sounds like a great weekend to me. Cheers, Darren

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I hear ya about the ' bashing " and cracking alloy.

The link here is the damage from last years effort.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=155226&page=3

All good now. Removed rocket launchers from targa to lighten it up.

Cheers Phill

marto78
20-02-2010, 08:10 AM
could of been worse,it is a long haul from brissy when the catch is not what you expected though

Especially when you take 350l worth of eskies with you and only manage to fill about 100l :brood:
Heres a photo of what we brought home on the last trip with two blokes. So as you can expect I was a little bit disappointed. :P

marto78
20-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I hear ya about the ' bashing " and cracking alloy.

The link here is the damage from last years effort.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=155226&page=3

All good now. Removed rocket launchers from targa to lighten it up.

Cheers Phill

Geez Phill thats some pretty serious damage there its good to here its all sorted now.

GPB
20-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Especially when you take 350l worth of eskies with you and only manage to fill about 100l :brood:
Heres a photo of what we brought home on the last trip with two blokes. So as you can expect I was a little bit disappointed. :P

That's like expecting your footy team to win everytime, enjoy what you've got, don't f--k it.
I'm sorry to say that pics like these and saying "it wasn't enough" are loading the greenies guns.

Mad Fish
20-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Marto,
We spent 4 days on the water around Fitzroy from the 4th and you did better than us we did 350k on the water Fished Fitzroy, Lamont, Boult for the first time and around Musgrave on the last day. The sharks were worse than i have ever seen them. I'm going back in June for a repeat performance hopefully with more fish.
Cheers
JH

seawind8
21-02-2010, 10:24 AM
HI Marto, I have a 5.1 Ally Craft with a 90 on the back, just wondering what size motor you have and how much fuel you carry to do a trip like that. Still you got a feed and at least 1 red
Cheers

marto78
21-02-2010, 10:32 AM
That's like expecting your footy team to win everytime, enjoy what you've got, don't f--k it.
I'm sorry to say that pics like these and saying "it wasn't enough" are loading the greenies guns.

GPB what is your problem mate!? Dont you eat fish or something?
Mate if you take out all the hussar (which is only used for bait most trips and only brought home this trip to fill up the esky and make it seem a bit more worth while) and factor in the amount of money spent on fuel, bait, ice and all the money spent on tackle and preparing the boat for the trip then include the the bruises and lack of sleep from two and a half days of driving around in messy seas, not to mention the cost of the welding and other repairs I have to get done now because of this. I would say no (so would my missus) it wasn't really enough fish to justify the 6hr drive to 1770 and my brothers 6hr drive down from Mackay. But thats fishing mate and yes I was disappointed but saying I am loading the greenies guns with ammo because I wish I had caught more fish is a little bit over the top! So pull your head in mate you dont know what your talking about!
Marto >:(

i

GPB
21-02-2010, 12:15 PM
If you are trying to justify the money spent on fishing/boating to results of fish caught, and the pain of actually fishing, then you are in the wrong 'recreational' sport, take up Tiddly Winks, very cheap and no pain.
Most fisho's would be more than happy having a trip like yours, and would be content with the result.

PS: Nothing wrong with fresh Hussar ;)

Dean1
21-02-2010, 02:51 PM
We ALL have bad trips. My last one up there in november was a worse outcome than yours.

Fishing is fishing sometimes I call it Rodding!!

Luck of the draw, they can be on the chew or off the chew.

If that is a bad trip you havent had a bad trip yet!! ;D

Its the good trips that make you keen and the bad ones that keep you wondering :-/

Its a great sport isnt it ::)

And yes Hussar are a very good all round fish they do everything just fine!!

marto78
21-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Mate you have to be able to try and justify the money you spend, well I do anyway and the costs of owning a boat are hard enough to justify as it is so if I can go on a trip and catch my bag limit of red emperor or trout or whatever I will. I assure you none of that fish will go to waste with at least 3 or 4 families eating it and then I wont go fishing again until the freezer is empty again in 3 or 4 months time and to me that justifies the cost of the trip. Yeah fresh hussar is ok, so is a fresh morwong but it is not my preferred fish to eat I would rather have trout or reds anyday. Mate you can go spend 1000's of dollars chasing fish and let everyone go for all I care but if I want to catch enough fish to equal at least the costs of the trip I will and I shouldnt be bagged out for it.
Marto
PS. what the fcuk are Tiddly Winks anyway can you eat them and do they taste like fish? If not I think I will stick with my fishing...

marto78
21-02-2010, 03:28 PM
We ALL have bad trips. My last one up there in november was a worse outcome than yours.

Fishing is fishing sometimes I call it Rodding!!

Luck of the draw, they can be on the chew or off the chew.

If that is a bad trip you havent had a bad trip yet!! ;D

Its the good trips that make you keen and the bad ones that keep you wondering :-/

Its a great sport isnt it ::)

And yes Hussar are a very good all round fish they do everything just fine!!

I suppose I have been pretty lucky up there considering what everyone else catches, but the quality and quantity of fish up there is a lot better then around brissie thats why I've stopped fishing down here. It costs to much for to little results IMO:D

Dean1
21-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Cant say I feel the same about Morwong :-/ They taste like rubber thongs ;D

Mate I know it is disheartening when your catch is not up to scratch but if we all bagged out on Reddies and the likes every time they would become scarce. A few nice reds in the esky and a good mix is good enough for me. I personally think tuskies and lippers ( not spanglies) etc taste better than reds, trout. ( Big reds , trout)

Reefies around the 2-4kg mark are the tastiest I reckon.

Yeah ive often thought for the amount of $$$ it costs and the result sometimes doesnt pay off but at the end of the day its about getting a 'fix' offshore and a good feed is a bonus. It beats the hell outa work. When conditions are sweet and theres a beer in the esky I dont even care if im catching a fish sometimes ;D

This reminds me how badly I need to just 'get out'

:-[

GPB
21-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah ive often thought for the amount of $$$ it costs and the result sometimes doesnt pay off but at the end of the day its about getting a 'fix' offshore and a good feed is a bonus. It beats the hell outa work. When conditions are sweet and theres a beer in the esky I dont even care if im catching a fish sometimes ;D

This reminds me how badly I need to just 'get out'

:-[

Bad 'Cabin Fever' there Dean;D

Marto, if you have a top trip and bag out, I am really pleased for you, my point is to enjoy just getting there without such high expectations.

PS: Don't worry about the Tiddly Winks, it's an age thing.
PPS: Morwong always go back

marto78
21-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I always enjoy being out in the boat guys but the weather last weekend pushed the fishing a little closer to hard work then enjoyment.
Marto

perko
22-02-2010, 06:55 AM
Marto, we have been doing trips out of Turkey for a few years now and have to drive 800klm round trip and I can see where you are coming from. Some of the trips we have done have been just plain hard work. We have stopped going on anything less than a perfect forecast with 10/15 se to ne about the worst we go on. Only problem is we have gone from doing 12+ trips a year to about 6. But we always get a better catch we the conditions are good. It is so much easier to search around for new spots, get your drift/anchor right, less seasick crew etc. Good luck on your next trip.

outwide1
22-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Do we go to dream world and measure the amount fun or laughs had for the money spent for the day?I can understand being dissapointed about having a bad day when exspectations are high,but it goes to show that even in a fish fertile area if there not biting there not biting.(Its fishing)It amazes me the amount of people who travel so far thinking they are in an area that will perform due to its lack of preasure but spit the dummy when they get nothing.Anyone can go to these areas and catch fish but a switched on fisherman still pulls dam good fish in an area they say is over fished and has no fish.I agree,if your going out there to justify the money spent,were doing it for the wrong reasons.
mick.

vertico
26-02-2010, 01:20 PM
marto i just think you need some new spots :P

marto78
27-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Yeah sean I think someone hit the other ones a bit too hard :P

Spot82
27-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Funny that all the fish pulled in the last two trips have basically been on new spots we have found or spots not fished before.... Reds just move around heaps and you have to search the area and find where they are on that day ;)

From what Sean has said, Marto you need to play with your transducer location/position to get it to read while travelling. There is more ground than you can poke a stick at up there.

Anthony

marto78
27-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey Anthony,
Top trip m8 you surely got the pick of the weather. I've been playing around with that tranducer for over a year now and can get it to read well at slow speeds but loose clarity at speed, I think the next step is to try a plate around it and drop it way down say maybe 20cm to get clean water. I am even thinking of hooking up the transducer on the garmin as well before the next trip to see how that goes.
Marto
Ps your not wrong about the ground up theres still plenty to be fished

vertico
27-02-2010, 08:46 PM
yerh marto only fished that rock of mine once since with you that time and we only got 5 or 6 reds there that trip. Hasnt really fished well since, but always good shows on it.

marto78
28-02-2010, 07:10 AM
Yeah Sean I think that rock has turned into a spanglie hide out, still worth a look tho in case there are a few reds lurking around. Deffinetly need to find some fresh marks, further nth is the go I reckon just need the weather to coincide with my months notice to have a day off :P
Its funny that we found good shows on that mark I gave you and there was nothing 2 weeks later when you got there, but thats fish for you, unpredictable little buggers ;D

vertico
28-02-2010, 08:45 AM
MArto,
we pulled 3 or 4 spangles there the 2nd time i ever hit that rock. Its an awesome spot and still has a really good show on top. Try a few different drift angles and see if there is any reds on the gravel / weed around the bommie.