PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island - Western Beach (by bicycle)

jollyman
16-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi all,

A mate and I have hatched a plan so crazy that it might just work. We plan to cycle (bicycle that is) from Hook Point (where the barge lands) up the eastern beach and around the top of Fraser back down to Hook Point.

Now I know of some guys who have cycled to Sandy Cape and back, so that's no dramas. However, from Sandy Cape around to the western side is a bit of an unknown. I've only ever been as far as the lighthouse (back in 1993), and haven't been north of Ngkala Rocks since then either.

The main questions that we have, and we're hoping that someone on here can help with, are:

What's the water situation north of Ngkala Rocks and on the western beach? Is there water at the Sandy Cape lighthouse?
Would there be fresh water at the base of any of the dunes if we were to dig?
On the map it looks as though there might be a few freshwater creeks on the western beach?
Has anyone been to Wathumba Creek lately? Would this be walkable at low tide?
How soft is the western beach? We plan to ride around the low tides, but it's obviously not going to be as hard packed as the surf side. How many hours either side of low would be easy 4wding?
Is there Telstra/nextg phone coverage on the western beach, or at Sandy Cape?

Any help would be appreciated. And of course, I'm looking for a way to strap a rod to the bike ;)

Joel

Burko75
17-02-2010, 09:22 PM
sound awesome but i think you might find it impossible. No fresh water north of ngkala. I don't even think there is a tap at the lighthouse you can use. would be very hard going (soft ) on western side depending on winds, weed, rain and other factors. and from moon point down is impassable. you could go inland there but you are talking an epic treck, probably harder than doing cape york.

jollyman
18-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I actually meant from Hook Point to Moon Point. So we don't have to worry about going inland.

From the photos I've seen of the western beach, it looks like it can be reasonably hard packed at low tide. This might not always be the case, of course. So we're still not too sure how many hours each side of low tide might be rideable.

I'm not convinced it's impossible yet! And who said Cape York would be that hard ;)

hakuna
18-02-2010, 11:59 AM
up to the lighthouse will be fine, lighthouse to watumba you will get a big fine for your trouble as it has no access for vehicles/ camping, across watumba low tide no problem about 400mm deep, had to push the boat across it 3 weeks ago, rest to moony point wouldn't be a problem

on a bike but? get mag tyres on it, about 12 inches wide

Cheech
18-02-2010, 12:05 PM
I wondered about the no vehicle section as well. Would need to find out what their definition of a vehicle is. I have pulled up to be beach at Rooneys a few times and by memory it was pretty firm at low tide.

hakuna
18-02-2010, 02:21 PM
station hill to watumba 3 weeks ago

Slider
19-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Fresh water at Bool Ck, which is prob 5 - 8kms west of the lighthouse from memory - towards Rooneys - Google Earth shows it clearly. Is fresh in lagoons inland from Sandy Spit also - walk inland (S/SW) along the eastern base of the first big sand blow from the first line of casuarinas on turning westward at Sandy Cape.

Don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do the ride quite comfortably.

jollyman
19-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info Slider. I did see that creek on the map but can never be too sure from a satellite photo.

Apparently Bool Ck is where Flinders disembarked in 1802.

sailfisher580
19-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Jollyman,

I'd make some inquiries with "Parks" before you get too involved in planning your big trip... I'd check on the Vehicle / Bike thing. Turtle season is finishing up and the rangers are everywhere, at all hours. They don't take kindly to people ignoring the rules when the turtles are running...

Sailfisher

treno82
20-02-2010, 01:21 PM
awsome plane guys "crazy" but awsome, hope it all works out for you's