PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Haines V183

Skiman
16-02-2010, 09:49 AM
This is my first time I have been on this site, so go easy if I stuff up.

I am looking at a 18ft Haines Hunter V183, the only "Clinker" style Haines ever made, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, as far as handling, ride and capabilities are concerned. Areas of weakness I should look for, etc, etc.
The one I'm looking at does need the floor and transom done apparently.

I have done very little ocean boating, but am keen to learn, and I have a few mates with boats that are happy for me to tag along.

Anyway, any info would be much appreciated thanks,

Mick.

BGG
16-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Skiman, some pics would be handy. I've never heard of a clinker Haines or a V183.

Skiman
16-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I am going to look at it today, so I will take some piccys. I hadn't seen or heard of one either, but I got hold of Garry Haines and he told me they only made them for 12 to 18 months. He also told me they gave a soft ride but were a bit wet, more so in a following sea.

Noelm
16-02-2010, 10:08 AM
plenty of ways to keep dry if the boat is a good one, dont let that deter you.

Jarrah Jack
16-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I am going to look at it today, so I will take some piccys. I hadn't seen or heard of one either, but I got hold of Garry Haines and he told me they only made them for 12 to 18 months. He also told me they gave a soft ride but were a bit wet, more so in a following sea.

Did Garry say why they discontinued them?

Skiman
16-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Here is a quote from the email Garry sent me today. Unfortunately when I went and had a look at the boat, I was too late and it was sold, anyway, thanks for the replies I will just keep on looking, no hurry right now anyway, it was just veeerrryyyy cheap, thats why I was interested.

Hi Mick,
There were 2 reasons that it was dropped from the range.
The first is that it was wet. The second reason was that public perception was that the clinker sides while very strong and rigid, they did not look like the rest of our model range.

Michael Sharp
17-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Mick I have a Haines v19c for sale with all the extras. Give me a call if you like.
Michael ph no. 0429810078