PDA

View Full Version : fuel flow meter

trueblue
15-02-2010, 08:49 PM
what is the cheapest way to put a fuel flow meter onto a Yammy 130 2 stroke?

are there any generic fuel flow meters that can just be connected into the main fuel line somewhere?

cheers

Mick

Alchemy
15-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Mick,

Something like this is the easiest and cheapest way to go. I have had one for about 7 years, but did need to replace the transducer once. The transducer is installed in the main fuel line and has a paddle wheel which measures your consumption.

Regards,
Dave.

PS, originally I had it fitted to a 130hp yamaha.

PPS, this site won't allow the link I wanted to use, but it was a Northstar fuel flow meter (model F 210). Available all around the place, including J. &H Products.

tenzing
15-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi there Mick
I also have the navman? northstar f210 and it has been going fine for years. I think there are some of them that are duds but mine is fine.
PS Dave Green is taking a look at the vic next week . Thanks.
Brendan

FNQCairns
15-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah simply place it in line, another one is the Lowrance model, it has the ability to also display Km per L if you have a GPS with the correct NMEA output.

cheers fnq

joeT
15-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I've got a navman one (as part of the GPS), it works ok but use it only as a guide as its not always accurate. For some odd reason, the more I calibrated mine the more out it was, and when i reset it then it was spot on.

krazyfisher
16-02-2010, 06:20 AM
have used both the navman and the lowrance. the navman is cheapest and easiest with the gauge. both worked well

jeffrey_h
16-02-2010, 10:03 AM
I just installed the Lowrance LMF 400. I have a 200hp Merc EFI, it said that I was using 8 lt/hr on idle! Then a few trips later it was 2 lt/hr at speed.

The sender MUST be vertical, I'm sure it was at first but did pull around near flat over that short time, it is now clamped to a board so it can not move. Just got to get out to try it.

The LMF 200 just does basic fuel flow where the 400 does a lot more, if you need it. But if fuel flow is all you need you do NOT need the expansion kit.
I paid $500.00 for it and got the expansion kit so that I can hook it up to the GPS, but knowing lt/hr should be all you need.

Jeffrey

timddo
16-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I paid $150 i think for my Navman from the states. I have mine horizontally mounted at the back following the fuel line.

It is accurate to 99% as i would always check the fuel pumped into the tank and fuel flow reading. Usually it's out by 1/2 a litre to 1 litre in a 150 litre tank.

trueblue
16-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I paid $150 i think for my Navman from the states. I have mine horizontally mounted at the back following the fuel line.

It is accurate to 99% as i would always check the fuel pumped into the tank and fuel flow reading. Usually it's out by 1/2 a litre to 1 litre in a 150 litre tank.

where abouts in the US did you get yours? I just got a quote out of New York for AU$ 240 delivered to brisbane.......

I also saw one advertised on Ebay for $175, but i don't really like Ebay, just a general distrust

cheers

Mick

f.t.r.
17-02-2010, 05:21 PM
trueblue,

i just replaced my navman fuel flow transducer last week, under $200 from leisure marine at capalaba, brisbane.

it was installed when i bought the boat in 2005 and has worked great up until a few weeks ago when readings went all over the place. it had been accurate to usually half a litre over a 140l tank.

worth every cent.

matty

tim barra master
18-02-2010, 08:45 PM
i have the yammy setup helps me get the most from my tank its amazing how a few knots faster or slower has such a dramatic effect on consumption which changes heaps in different conditions and or load and placement of the load also has a big variation to economy at diferent speeds
I will not have a boat without one again

trueblue
14-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Is the Lowrance LMF 200, with the EP60R fuel flow sensor a good unit?

will this unit talk to Raymarine electronics that have NMEA connections

cheers

Mick

trueblue
14-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Lowrance - or Northstar - which unit is better?