PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha and HDS - fuel consumption measuring

spelchek
15-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to use the fuel consumtion stuff that's available oon my HDS 5 unit. I have a Yammi 40 4stroke. As I understand it, I have 2 choices: 1) the yamaha part that plugs into the motor ECU then into the HDS - sending fuel usage figures to the HDS strait from the engines ECU, and 2) a Lowrance in-line fule meter sitting in the fuel line then plugging into the unit.

Has anyone here got any experience in such things and willing to offer advice etc etc on doing this?

Cheers!

krazyfisher
16-02-2010, 06:18 AM
i Have only used the fuel flow meters and have found them very easy to use and hook up.
I have had 2 of the navman northstart fuel flow set ups and work really well.
1 lowrance on a gps last model and was heaps of problems.
but currently I have the fuel flow on a hds and it works great after the update. I would recommend it. simple easy and it works.

honda900
16-02-2010, 01:27 PM
spelchek,

I have both the lowrance options;

EP10 fuel flow meter connectect via the nmea 2000 network.

A suzuki ep20 engine interface connected to the engine.

Both very accurate. I have had no issues with either although the ep10 is currently disabled.

The key requirement for both is the nmea network, that will provide both devices with the ability to display the fuel usage on your HDS. if its a GPS unit then you also get economy, fuel used, fuel remaining etc.

Given the option between the two, I would have the engine interface, it provides you with other options such as rpm, hours, etc. More importantly it also displays warnings and alerts on your unit.

Give me a yell if you want more info.

Regards
HOnda.

ozbee
16-02-2010, 05:15 PM
you actually got it to talk without gobble gob from the motor .Suzuki there's two boats up here to do a 200 and a300 Suzuki i would gladly pay you a airfare and a few reds to go home with.

Dean1
16-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Do your sums and weigh it up.

Im not sure if your aware but Yamaha sell LAN gauges to suit if its a fuel injected motor you have.

They tell you Litres/ hour been used , how many klms/litre your getting, how many litres used etc. I have 2 of them as I have twin motors and they are extremly accurate. The gauges sell for around $750 each.

Cheers, Deano.

spelchek
16-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the responses, fellas. I've decided to go with the yammie connector onto the HDS. Saves me the cost (and space) of putting any extra gauges on the console. The HDS will also display all the vitals from the motor such as temp as well as the fuel usage. This for around the same cost of using the Lowrance fuel flow sensor alone (well, plugged into the hds - of course). Seems like a better choice as I have the fuel injected model - I may as well use its capabilities. Looking forward to getting some fuel usage figures as well as playing around with trim settings etc to find most economical cruise.

Ahh fishing PLUS computer geekery - I'm in heaven!!!