PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Boat Wrap?

scottishguy
14-02-2010, 06:46 PM
I was thinking of getting some vinyl wraps done on the boat. Has anyone done this? How does it stand up to the salt water conditions? What sort of coin are we talking?

PinHead
14-02-2010, 06:58 PM
never heard of them. what are they ??

scottishguy
14-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Same as the vinyl wraps for signwriting cars...

Like this sort of thing but more subtle!
http://www.imagewerx.com.au/images/stories/car__boats/p1020049.jpg

sleddog
14-02-2010, 07:35 PM
try wrap my ride, they will be able to assist with a price

http://www.wrapmyride.net.au/ (http://www.wrapmyride.net.au/)

Steeler
14-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Loud enough to scare the fish away,DOOF DOOF DOOF.

seastorm
14-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Here is a link to a fellow Ausfish member thread, he had his boat stolen and it has full on graphics on it, he should be able to tell you all about it
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=153573

hakuna
14-02-2010, 08:07 PM
try impact signs on the Gold Coast, they did mine.

cheers

Mad-One
15-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Ask Nugget he just had his boat done

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/images/boat/newboat2.jpg (http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/images/boat/newboat.jpg)

Mrs Ronnie H
15-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Ask Nugget he just had his boat done

http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/images/boat/newboat2.jpg (http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au/images/boat/newboat.jpg)

Thats Scary!!!!!!!!

Ronnie

Salad Fingers
18-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Hey just bringing this one up - what are the approximate costs of a full wrap such as that one nugget had done? Obviously it will vary depending on the artwork but just a ballpark figure would be handy.

Trend Signs
05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109786&stc=1

This 460 Renegade - Kingfish Wrap coat around the $1300 + gst from memory..... Fitted ready for the water.

gunna
05-07-2015, 03:47 PM
Not bad dragging out a 2010 post lol. Looking for business ??

Trend Signs
05-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Not bad dragging out a 2010 post lol. Looking for business ??

I notice a lot of wrong information about vinyl wraps, especially on forums..... Now you guys have someone you can ask.
Better than the wrong info being spread around by lack of information.

If I can help provide information about my industry for all to benefit then I see that all are better off....

bazza65
05-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Too much money. What next irrodesent painted trailers.

SWANY22
05-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Mates got one on his boat. Looks awsome and held up perfectly. He won it in a raffle but think he said would of cost around $1500. It's a 5.8 riptide.

Trend Signs
05-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Too much money. What next irrodesent painted trailers.

Actually its way cheaper than painting... and much more versatile.
You can have just plain colours.... Black or white and other bland colours colours for the less adventurous.
It even looks like paint when its done. You would not be able to pick it without serious investingation.

Wraps protect your hull for years and are completely removable leaving the surface in the same condition it was when the wrap was installed.

Imagine your a boat Dealer (or any other business) that wants great marketing campain to turn heads with a radical wrap on a Demo model boat worth $30,000 +.
Then after 3 months the dealer needs to sell the Demo boat for a later model etc....
Remove the wrap to show the boats perfect brand new finish. No bumps or marks from being a used Demo boat. The boat retains more value for sale.

What about competitive tournament boats?
Style, design, expression, stand out branding for sponsors that may or may not change from season to season?
Need to change the graphics often or years later?

Then there is the private passionate boating fans and fisherman etc.... Possibilities with these products are endless.

Wraps are awesome!!;D Graphics are awesome... Installing boat wraps is awesome.... and most of all love how stoked and happy people are when they see their newly wrapped boat...

Its very, very rewarding and satisfying product.
There are businesses all around Australia that are wrapping boats every day as it is becoming very, very popular.

it's ok, New products and ways to do things is not for everyone, but each to their own...

chocolatemoose
05-07-2015, 10:45 PM
we wrapped a boat recently for the tv show decked out. it just totally transformed the boat and looks totally balls now :D love it!

philliplucky
07-07-2015, 11:51 PM
What's the expected life span of a wrap say on a charter boat operater which gets used every day in the sun

Trend Signs
08-07-2015, 07:16 AM
What's the expected life span of a wrap say on a charter boat operater which gets used every day in the sun

If its in full sun all day long you would expect a life of about 3 - 5 years before it starts looking a bit tired.

It will last well beyond the life expectancy its just likely not to look as fresh and vibrant anymore...... Same as any finished surface after years of exposure to the elements.

ShaneC
08-07-2015, 09:01 AM
Hey mate. Just an odd one for you. What sort of protection do they provide against heavy sinkers and spanner trays etc hitting the side of the boat on a pretty regular basis? I realise they are just a wrap but would they protect against chips and scratches in gel coat or are they more of a thing for plateys? Thinking of something purely as a protection thing in clear or white for one side of my boat that I can take off and replace once it starts to get shabby....

Seahorse
08-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Thats a good question Shane.
If a crab pot hits the side of boat as u are pulling it up, will it tear the vinyl.
If you do happen to get a small tear, will it start peeling off?

I was going to get my boat painted. Maybe this is a better option.

What warranty is given on boats?
Does the wrap only go down to chine line?
what about the Gunnels?

just a few questions i think blokes would like to know, well at least me.

Do u have prices for different length boats?

Cheers
greg

Secret Spot
08-07-2015, 02:18 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109838&stc=1 Planet Wrap done mine great guys to deal with.

Coontakinta
08-07-2015, 04:33 PM
My boat is arapped. Not because i wanted one but because i bought it off the floor as is at a price to good to refuse. If i had had it built as was the plan it would have been finished raw. After approx 8 months of constant use the wrap is marked in many places. These marks are from brushes with structure, rubbing against pontoons, despite the use of fenders, and in one case rubbing against my trailer retreiving solo in less than favourable and difficult conditions.
From a distance it still looks great and we receive many favourable comments on it look. Whilst it may be cheaper than painting, it cant be polished like paint can. I recently gave my previous boat a cut n polish before sale. It had spent most of its 10yrs out in the elements. The buyer couldnt believe the finish and thought i had dodgied up the pics or resprayed it. So yes maybe a little more expensive initially perhaps more economical in the long run, especially considering you can touch up blemishes in paint.
Would i have another? Probably not. Its just not practical for the boats use. I love its uniqueness but its inpracticality suggests the 2k could be spent more wisely

sharkymark2
08-07-2015, 04:35 PM
:oiridescent trailer..... now there 's a thought.

Trend Signs
08-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Hi Shane,

There a different reasons someone would go for a wrap, or for paint....
Sure it would certainly add protection to your hull over its existing finish... but of course they will be marked by abrasions and impacts as all finishes do.
As a sacrificial surface they curtain protect against the suns UV, light abrasions and they don't stone chip like paint does as wraps are flexible and not brittle like paint.
There are many different reasons to go for paint or for a wrap. It all depends what you want to do, and or achieve.

Also plain and metallic film colours and cheaper than printed wraps.
Wraps are cheaper than paint and are easily replaceable..... Need to weight the pros and cons of both products in the situation you use it.

Trend Signs
08-07-2015, 09:54 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109838&stc=1 Planet Wrap done mine great guys to deal with.

The great thing with a design like yours is that if your hull is already painted with a colour, and you just want to break it up... Computer cut vector graphics can easily be applied to the hull using the paint colours as a background.

Nice and cheap way to have a cool design on your boat... It can also be achieved with a a full wrap to completely change the boats colour.

Looks good mate!

Trend Signs
08-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Thats a good question Shane.
If a crab pot hits the side of boat as u are pulling it up, will it tear the vinyl.
If you do happen to get a small tear, will it start peeling off?

I was going to get my boat painted. Maybe this is a better option.

What warranty is given on boats?
Does the wrap only go down to chine line?
what about the Gunnels?

just a few questions i think blokes would like to know, well at least me.

Do u have prices for different length boats?

Cheers
greg

Generally impacts and abrasions will not tear the film. Wraps are a lot more resilient than people think.....
Even if your were to damage the graphic wrap with a sharp object or gauge it all the way through its layers, it would not start peeling off.
These films are the same film used to wrap planes.... 350klms an hour in -30 deg doesn't take them off, so a boat bobbing around getting splashed is certainly not going to cause peeling either.

Warranty is 12 months on a boat with a nice undamaged surface.
The wrap will generally start under the Gunnel and stop a few mm above the chine.

Pricing will depend upon the side height of the hull and of course length. The style and make of the boat is also a factor.
Example:
1.Boats with sides lower than 600mm generally can have both sides of the hull printed next to each other on the film standard width.
So a 4 metre boat will only use 4 meters of film as both sides are made from the one peace of film.
2.Boats with high sides of 700mm and higher can't be printed next to each other.
So for example a 6 metre boat will need 12 metres of film.

Hope that this makes sense.

darylive
21-07-2015, 06:10 PM
Eye Candy Signs Caloundra Wraps boats if you want a price.

spelchek
22-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Trend Signs - glad you've spoken up and resurrected this thread as I've been wanting to bend the ear of a 'wrapper' for awhile now. Is the lifespan of the wrap colour dependent? And is the lifespan you refer too the lifespan of the design on the wrap (ie colour fades) or does the wrap material itself degrade?

I'm interested in wrapping the bib under the flybridge on my boat. It's ~30yo gelcoat that needs refinishing - either paint/new gelcoat or a wrap are all under consideration at present. The wrap/paint/gelcoat is white - with a black with gold outline decal stripe. How good must the surface be for the wrap to hold? The gelcoat is pretty shot on the boat I'm looking to wrap.
Cheers!