PDA

View Full Version : King Salmon, Halibut...all in a days work!

longone
14-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Spent two months cruising Canada and Alaska June/July last year. We did the inside passage from Seattle right through to BC and as far North as Glacier Bay. Had the opportunity to wet a line a couple of times which is always a bonus to the work day. I snuck off one day on my break and climbed up a waterfall to find a big open lake and hooked into a few Dolly Varden (type of trout) using a tiny silver spinner bait. Unbelievable scenery and not a trace of anybody else around.

Also went out with a local guide chasing King Slamon another day and managed some really nice fish. All caught on downriggers using a technique they call cut-plugging. (Trolling herring with the heads cut off, a small triangle cut out of the backside and with the guts removed to allow the water to flow through the bait without tearing it apart.) The biggest fished went just over 30lbs.

We got a few Halibut from the big boat through out the trip as well. Anywhere the current is running over a bit of a rise they will sit on the back of and where you find one, you will find lots.

Its all amazing country up there and I definately am lucky to have experienced it. We even had a sea plane for most of the time which we used as a tender to bring in fresh supplies and take the boss bear spotting or whatever which the crew also got a chance to run around in. Ive attached a few photos of the fish but also just a couple of general ones to show some of the scenery. Hope you like them!

onerabbit
14-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Awsome.....from what I can see the scenery is beautiful......and the fish

having trouble looking at your pics.

Muzz

longone
14-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah it was the trip of a lifetime mate. Not sure whats up with the pics?? I think they are too small?

onerabbit
14-02-2010, 04:04 PM

honda900
22-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Tidy little tinny the boss owns..

Looks like a nice place, tad on the cold side though.

Regards
HOnda.

Si
22-02-2010, 04:26 PM
those halibut grow to massive proportions, kind of like a flathead on roids!!! looks like a great trip.

longone
24-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Definately a nice little tinnie (220') we take care of for the boss! The halibut do get HUGE! They call the big ones Barn doors and the best I saw whilst up there went 420 pounds!

bugman
11-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Awsome place I hope to visit one day.

Just out of interest ... what does the boss do?

Brett