PDA

View Full Version : Best HD video camera/camcorder for around $1k

WestOzDesertFisher
13-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm absolutely useless when it comes to electronics so thought I'd ask here. I've so far narrowed it down to 3 leading brands - Panasonic, Canon and Sony as the others, I've heard bad reports about. Here's a few models I've been looking at and like:

Sony HDRXR150 RRP $999

Panasonic HDC-HS60-K RRP $1199

Panasonic SDR-H280 RRP $1209

Canon HF21 RRP $1399

Anyone have one of these? Any feedback would be great. Any other info or recommendations would also be great.

Cheers,
Damo

WestOzDesertFisher
13-02-2010, 05:59 PM
More specifically I'm after something with built-in (32GB+) or flash memory or both, min. 10x optical zoom, easy-to-use and good video quality. It will be used for inshore, offshore and land-based fishing missions, surfing and other outdoor sports.

mull dog
13-02-2010, 08:27 PM
mate check out the sanyo xacti. not too sure if it is in your price range but it is definitely on my wish list. it is a dual camcorder and still camera waterproof to 3m in high def. i am technologically challenged myself but does sounds to be the goods

FNQCairns
13-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Just wondering why HD? It's great if the recording is to permanently kept on media other than DVD etc but without HD burning equipment the quality will be lost.

You may already have all that gear i dunno. I have been thinking of upgrading my video camera also but as yet i have not looking into them specificity. I have a large screen plasma full HD and a PVR that I can transfer full HD onto for viewing anytime in full HD but it will be stored on a hard disk drive which is no substitute for DVD type storage.

Quality SD (576i from a known quality camera....be sure on that) is quite acceptable to view on even a 50 inch TV, in fact full HD 1080i is almost impossible to discern a difference from good SD at about 2.5m from a full HD 50 inch TV of the up scaling variety of which most are i think.

Until full HD recording equipment and the permanent recording media becomes more mainstream...as well in price i suspect when I do start looking properly into it i will probably end up disappointed.

I guess my point is if i where to buy a HD Video camera today I will also need to purchase a Blu-ray DVD recorder (because that media won the full HD war) for around the same money to make it all work properly. All this I will do in time but not yet.

cheers fnq

Razgo-
14-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I like the sony range. the last one i had for about 5 years a sony201e DVD cam.

My recent one (11 months ago) is the sony XR520ve which i think you can buy for about $2300-2500. has a whopping 240GB hard drive plus SD card drive as well.

sony link http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-xr520ve

or go the slightly cheaper xr500 120GB.

I have lots of good reports on canon as well. If your a shoot from the hip type of person then sony is defiantly the way to go.

Heath
14-02-2010, 09:01 PM
no need to convert to blue ray to watch your movies at 1080P. Most media boxes play the HD footage in their native format or even play the native DVD files as well. So you could save it as a blue ray dvd with the DVD file structure Eg VOB files etc & it will play.

Have a look at the Sony HDRX200V
I have one & couldn't be happier with it.

Razgo-
15-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know if this link will work but its a comparison http://www.sony.com.au/product/CompareProducts.action?site=hp_en_AU_i&models=HDR-XR100E&models=HDR-XR200VE&models=HDR-XR500VE&models=HDR-XR520VE

there are only small differences like 4mega pixels compared to 12 etc etc... but potentially saving hundreds of dollar but still getting a quality cam.