PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable PFDs

White Pointer
13-02-2010, 03:22 PM
G'day,

The life vests on my boat have reached their expiry date.

The are BLA branded, made in China and have disposable of rechargeable inflation canisters.

What to do?

They are buggers to put on right and each person who comes on board has to be shown and fitted - because they would never manage in an emergency. They stow compactly and easily but that's less important to me if things turn to shit.

Any advice on keeping them or ditching them?

If ditching, any advice on the best to buy? If you have survived in the water in brand you recommend, I would like to know.

If I decide to keep them, what is the cost of inspection and recharging and does anyone know where is can be done around Redcliffe?

Regards,

White Pointer

Mrs Ronnie H
13-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Hi
We have Marlin brand bought from BCF. They are easy to fit and were pretty cheap.
Don't know where to have them serviced--- That is a good question. perhaps phone one of the marine places in Clontarf etc and they may point you in the right direction.
Ronnie

Fishbait
13-02-2010, 07:26 PM
I was under the impression that you could change the cylinder yourself (around $20) and keep the receipt as evidence to show they are current. Happy to be corrected. Maybe phone MSQ for advice? All the best,. Darren

Kondo 1
13-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey mate - I have the RFD manual ones, good price of around $90 from Bias and I have had mine serviced at Marinesafe down at Springwood. About $30 each i think - fair drive though - Im at Kedron but they come with a a certificate and a heat sealed tag.

I have found the RFD ones pretty easy to get on and off and seemingly pretty good quality...

Kleyny
13-02-2010, 08:38 PM
How often do you need to get them serviced?

neil

Kondo 1
13-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey Mate,

When I bought mine they were a fresh batch - had a good 18 months before servicing but they are at a 12 month interval from then on.

Cheers.

cormorant
13-02-2010, 09:09 PM
email teh manufacturer and ask for teh self service instructions

The cyl doesn't need to be replaces just weighed and checked

sheridan
13-02-2010, 10:30 PM
HI All

I was going to put a thread up myself i sent an inflatiable PFD down to my sister in Brissy minus the canister the jacket was due for service as it was 12 months old sat in the cupboard and still brand new, the date on the canister is 07 03 10 my sister went to BCF to get it serviced or a new canister their canister date was 2006 so why replace a good 2010 canister with an old 2006 one dosn't make sence to me how do they check the date by canister or a piece of paper my canister is still in date and still like new what a wrought im not going to risk my wifes life or mine with falty jackets we carry standard PFD1's as well but an inflatiable is much more comefortable to wear all the time if it' just a matter of weighing the canister how can that cost $30 or $ 40 isn't this a safety issue $10 would be acceptiable .

Geoff

harry_h01
13-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I got pulled over by the water police last year. I do my own servicing of my manual PDF. Not good enough.

Water police showed me where it had to be marked, tagged by the service company. Servicing it yourself and showing the receipt will not cover you.

I checked with several agencies and they confirmed it is only an authorised service if completed by them, not by yourself.

So don't believe that if you have inflating PDFs on board serviced by yourself that they will pass inspection.

I was lucky I had enough standard PDFs on board to cover use that night.

Harry

the gecko
14-02-2010, 05:58 AM
I got pulled over by the water police last year. I do my own servicing of my manual PDF. Not good enough.

Water police showed me where it had to be marked, tagged by the service company. Servicing it yourself and showing the receipt will not cover you.

Harry

1-Not correct Officer Plod, you CAN self service. Dont you wish authorities would all sing the same song harry? I got pulled over by hervey bay water ploice, and told that I could self service it myself. They showed me where I could write the service date on the tag inside the jacket. They told me I could keep the reciept for proof of date, but that wasnt manditory. I still beeive this is correct - you CAN self service. All the service companies that I rang were in brisbane, and wanted about $50 service fee, plus 2x $35 courier fee, so I opted for self service. All the companies told me that it wasnt legal for WARRANTY only. When pushed, they admitted it might be legal for water police, but not passable as manufacturers standards - - -yeah right.

2- they dont just weigh the bottle, A good service will include setting off the canister to inflate the pfd, and leaving it for 24 hrs to check for leaks in the pfd. You dont know if you nicked your pfd with a hook, so test it out. Then you MUST replace the canister cos youve set it off - so they dont just weigh it.

3- there is no LAW covering inflatable pfds. There is no legislation, chapter or verse about servicing them. That is why nobody has ever been fined for an out of date vest. the 12 mths rule is a guideline only.:-/:-/ Thats why cops ADVISE you of what to do.

4- you can use a canister that is several years old. Its not about the canister date, its about the date that the vest was serviced, so your 12 mths goes from the date on your tag inside your pfd. Many stores only carry canisters that are a few years old, so sometimes thats all you can buy. They last for 10-15 yrs in aircraft pfds.

Theres been heaps on this subject before, just use the search feature guys.

cheers
Andrew

WalrusLike
14-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I was wondering about lifeJacket (LJ) storage... mostly they are in the worst places if they are ever needed in a hurry. I know that anything can happen at any time, but in the real world adults generally dont have them on while underway if conditions are reasonable.

This is going to sound daft...

but I have been wondering if they could be hung along the inside of the gunnels using Velcro while underway. Otherwise stored away when not travelling.

The idea would be that if the boat went under the jackets would float free. If the strips along the inside tops of the gunnels were the soft velcro it wouldnt be a prob when they are not hung. When they were hung then the jackets would be a bit in the way but not terribly so.

I can imagine problems getting them to stick in a fast pounding... but maybe do-able... dunno.

Daftest idea you ever heard??

White Pointer
14-02-2010, 12:07 PM
How often do you need to get them serviced?

neil

G'day,

Good for 2 years from new. Not sure about subsequent service interval.

Regards,

White Pointer

Moonlighter
14-02-2010, 03:07 PM
[quote=the gecko;1130631]
2- they dont just weigh the bottle, A good service will include setting off the canister to inflate the pfd, and leaving it for 24 hrs to check for leaks in the pfd. You dont know if you nicked your pfd with a hook, so test it out. Then you MUST replace the canister cos youve set it off - so they dont just weigh it.

Close but not quite correct ... you don't have to discharge the cylinder to inflate the jacket and test for airtight, you can simply use the mouthpeice to inflate them manually. thereby saving you from having to replace the cylinder.

In the instructions provided with each jacket, it will say how long the servicing interval is - mine are actually 2 years. others are one year, some are 3 years. The regulations require that they have to be serviced as recommended by the manufacturer. So anyone that tells you they all have to be done every year is incorrect.

There are a few steps to do the service, which, as has been pointed out and as is stated on the Maritime Safety Qld website last time I looked, you can do yourself. But you do need to keep a record of the service and this includes the steps you took. This usually takes the format of a log. I do this and keep my log in a plastic sleeve in my safety gear bag.

I prepared a log form based on one that I saw a while ago at a dealer. File attached as a word document for anyone who wants to use it - but no responsibility taken!!!!

Cheers

ML

cormorant
14-02-2010, 11:14 PM
To inflate them to test for leaks you use the manual mouth inflation and check they are holding pressure overnight. You do not have to inflate "in anger"with the canister - why waste it.

Some manufacturers do have self service guidelines.

Cal the manufacturer and get their test procedure.

Anyone want to own up to the course they attended on "how to service every brand of Inflatable life jacket "on the market???? Who ran it and who certifies the training?

There is a list of probebly 20 basic things to check and inspect or condition.

Did I mention talk to the manufacturer

Lastly have a look at the stormy seas ones and check they are still self serviceable as it may save money longer term than buying cheaper ones.

peterbo3
15-02-2010, 07:07 AM
I have Hutchwilco PFDs from NZ. The little manual that comes with them gives the service requirements.
They need to be checked by the owner each year for leaks (manual inflation), the CO2 cartridge inspected, weighed & tightened. That's it.
In the absence of any legislation relating to service intervals, I will run with the makers instructions.

cormorant
15-02-2010, 02:10 PM
In reality the person you need to convince you are cabable and qualified to "service "the jacket is the person who drowns insurance company and your own.

When thigs get rough and you really need people on a boat to have a jacket on I always choose to put quality zip up foam ones on - they need no user input once on and won't puncture.

Giving people a inflatable on board without explaining it - you may as well hand them a brick unless they already know and a lot of drownings haped as people hit their head on the way out. Unless you have water activated ( and it works) you are stuffed

We have tested ours and leave a couple of breaths in them so you will at least float if unconcious - not 100% face up though. You can't do this with most as they don't have pressure release valves and will pop if you pull the cord.

If you own a inflatable or any life jacket and don't test it in the water you may be surprised at just how uncomfortable some are and when you think of the seas you could be caught in just how long you could cope. One jacket we tested channelled water straight up to your mouth in anything other than dead calm and we were in a pool.

White Pointer
15-02-2010, 09:47 PM
In reality the person you need to convince you are cabable and qualified to "service "the jacket is the person who drowns insurance company and your own.

When thigs get rough and you really need people on a boat to have a jacket on I always choose to put quality zip up foam ones on - they need no user input once on and won't puncture.

Giving people a inflatable on board without explaining it - you may as well hand them a brick unless they already know and a lot of drownings haped as people hit their head on the way out. Unless you have water activated ( and it works) you are stuffed

We have tested ours and leave a couple of breaths in them so you will at least float if unconcious - not 100% face up though. You can't do this with most as they don't have pressure release valves and will pop if you pull the cord.

If you own a inflatable or any life jacket and don't test it in the water you may be surprised at just how uncomfortable some are and when you think of the seas you could be caught in just how long you could cope. One jacket we tested channelled water straight up to your mouth in anything other than dead calm and we were in a pool.

G'day,

I agree with you 100%.

I read the first series of posts yesterday and decided I could do the maintenance but would still be stuck with teaching everyone who comes on board how to put it on and use it. I discussed it with the boss who agreed they are a pain - the last thing you need in an emergency.

Mine will be be replaced with foam filled easy zip up jobs.

Thanks to all for the help.

Regards,

White Pointer