PDA

View Full Version : painting a glass boat

surveyor
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Hi Guys
My boat needs a lot of tlc and a few dings repaired .it had anti foul removed and is faded compared to waht was under it .the glass guy wants to paint it and it would certainly be easier .the question is what are the dissadvantages of this ie keel wear etc and can it be touched up when it scratches.what are your thoughts /experiences::)

dreemon
12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Are you going with 2 pac ? the overall boat will look great but as long as you run up sand banks and beaches it will get scratched on the bottom, not really a big deal, you can get brushable thinners for touching up and will help in going on thicker but it'll always get wear from even the trailer, I just give mine a hit when I feel it needs it, Cheers

WalrusLike
13-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I have been wondering about using some sort of paint (if I buy an older boat) for the rough interior glassed areas. You know the sort of itchy, powdery, feel that old un-gel-coated glass has.

I was thinking of painting with a plastic exterior paint ... that should take the itchy feel out of it. May be difficult to prepare and getting the paint to bind though...

Any experience or thoughts?

Chimo
13-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Theres a series in the last few F & B mags about doing a boat up inc painting, Very interesting and well worth reading.

Cheers
Chimo

sooty_mad
15-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Use the best 2 pac paint you can get hold of with all the correct preparation. Do not cut corners.

If you wish to roll it on I would strongly recommend International.

Kind regards... David

sooty_mad
16-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Another thing I would recommend. Paint the sides whatever color you like but make sure you paint the bottom of the boat white. It will always get scratched etc from sandbanks and it is so much easier to make small repaits etc when it is white.
Kind regards... David