PDA

View Full Version : HELP Is my sounder dead?

aussiefool
12-02-2010, 08:59 AM
G'day all,
I have an old sounder an Eagle Fish ID 128, that the last few times that I have gone out will not show any depth readings at all. It only shows 0.5 Ft. or 0.5Mt. and flashes this the whole time that I have it turned on. I have tried to change the settings as one time it corrected the problem but now no matter what I do it will not come good. I did leave the unit turned on from Currumbin to Chinderah on time but I did about 3 more trips without any trouble.

ANY IDEAS?
Aussiefool
Andrew

Dan5
12-02-2010, 10:19 AM
It sounds like your transducer has died......pretty common with the older lowrance/eagle stuff.....One of the little cuda 128's would do the same job as your older fish ID.......should be able to get a brand new unit and tranny for around $150 ish in AUS....the replacment tranny for your older unit if you can still get one would be about $100 from memory......but i havn't had to buy one for over 10 years now so they may be more

Dan

aussiefool
12-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks mate, not the news I wanted but an excuse to look at a replacement.

dreemon
12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
I had a very similer prob with my new garmin 451s, not reading the bottom and the wrong depth numbers flashing, garmin were very good and said send both the head unit and transducer and they will replace both, when I manualy set the gain it was able to read the bottom but was a pain.

he said because of the symtoms seems it could be more of a tranny prob.

so guess that goes to show that you really shouldn't run the sounder out of water? ? ? appart from just seeing how to work the functions on it, mine was on for awhile to punch in my gps marks, from now on I'll unplug the ducer when I turn the sounder on out of water, I have forgoten to turn my old sounder off before while trailering it home too , but it still worked well,

you might get lucky and find a ducer from a wreckers, if not, what sounder are you thinking on getting? at bcf they have the garmin 300 c for $ 350, but the screen size is only 3.5 in I think, my 451 is only 4 in but only 1 foot fr my face so not to bad, good luck