PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Comp

TCSunCoast
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Better late than never, just worked out how to resize photo's

Weather was perfect especially in the 20ft Mustang - Out Quoting. I had Todd and Bruce on board who had never caught a marlin before.
We ended up runner up in the under 6.5m category, it was fantastic to see the amount of trailer boats and fellow Ausfishers there.

Congrats to BJ (Sailfisher 580 on here) for champion boat under 6.5m with an outstanding heavy tackle striped marlin and a few more blacks.

We went 8-5-3 for the weekend and I also got a Mahi Mahi that will go in the QLD record books as a tie with Nathan Douglas' same size fish of 19kg on 8kg line.

Our heaviest black went 100kg (measured) on 8kg and took Todd 50mins to get boatside for a tag.

All in all a great weekend and please visit www.scgfc.com.au (http://www.scgfc.com.au) for more pics and info as well as Smithy's detailed report.

Tony
Out Quoting

Benno1
12-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Great pics TC...thanks for the report...love the marlin pic...what a beast!!!

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Getout
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Tony, how did you measure the Black?

sailfisher580
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Hi GETOUT,
You measure whats called the "Short Length" - from the tip of the bottom jaw to the inside edge of the tail (fork), then you can put that length on a graph and get a very accurate est. weight.

We had a great weekend, the weather gods shined for the tournament and the fish definitely turned up.

I fished Heavy tackle on the Friday and late in the day we managed a Striped Marlin that tried to eat a bait first then dropped back to eat a lure on the rigger.

Then on the Saturday we fished Light tackle and scored 3 Black Marlin. We only had 1 bite that was not a billfish and that was the classic wahoo bite on a live bait.

It goes something like this - reel in free spool, zzzzzz real fast, then nothing, then zzzzzzzzzzzzz real fast, then line flapping in the breeze.

The tournament was well run, with great support from plenty of local sponsors.

Check out the http://www.scgfc.com.au/ for the full wrap up.
Thanks
SAILFISHER

lido76
13-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice going Tony that Dollie is a stonker congrats on the record (tied) good to see there is still some billies around atm. I will have to go and have a serious crack at them before they dissapear for another year..
Cheers Mate Brendan.............

TCSunCoast
13-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Get Out,

Sailfisher is on the money for the measure to weight idea.

Thanks Brendan, I beleive they are still out there now.

Sailfisher, congrats again. Heavy tackle efforts always need rewarding.

Tony

Getout
15-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks. Where can I get hold of one of those graphs?

TCSunCoast
17-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Getout,

When you join a game fishing club you get a QGFA yearbook that has records, rules and those graphs etc etc in them.

I know at our last SCGFC meeting we had the graphs printed out to hand to people.

Our meetings are the first Tuesday of each month at the Kawana Water Hotel and we get plenty of guys drive up from Brisbane for them, now is the time to join as it is $40 for the half year.