PDA

View Full Version : Telstra T90 rugedised mobile phone.

oldboot
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm up for a new phone and I had a look at the T90......it certainly looks better than the previous rugedised phone.

IP54 rated so not rated for immersion but Ok to get wet.

It is suposed to have a GPS reciever inbuilt but no GPS application.....anybody got an application running?

Has any body got first hand information of these phones.

cheers

Blackened
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
G'day

Maybe not what you want to hear, but....

Being a tradie I was after the best rugged phone I could find.... they're all crap. Nothing compared to the old ericcson R310.

However I settled for an iphone, and have it encased in an "otter box defender case"

Have a look for these as they're awesome. Not waterproof but definatly splash and drop proof.

Dave

SatNav
13-02-2010, 09:38 AM
"Being a tradie I was after the best rugged phone I could find.... they're all crap."

1. As the query is specifically about the T90, do you have the recently released T90 to make that judgement?

scottishguy
13-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Mate, take a look at the i-Mate 810-F. It's a Windows Mobile smart phone, waterproof, shock proof etc. It's built to US military spec.

I-mate have just gone out of business though so you would not have any warranty but you could pick up the phone for peanuts on Grays or similar.

oldboot
13-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd have to agree, that anything I have seen since to old Ericsons...thai I have seen untill now has looke realy ordinary.

a mate of mine, a builder had an old ericson till analogue disappeared not a problem.
My brother was given a well used one and it worked well till its trip out the window of the patrol at 100KMH....it probably would have been fine till it was run over by the "B" double comming the other way.

I'm realy not interested in anything whizz bang...I just want a phone that works and gets decent range on next G...if I want a computer....I'll carry one of those with a full sized keyboard.

In my opinion, just about every phone I have seen since my old GSM nokia is a piece of pretencious carp

just give me a good solid phone that works and has range....ARRGH

cheers.

iqarus
13-02-2010, 11:21 AM
mate if you're after a tough phone you cant go past sonim's.

http://www.sonimtech.com/

my best mate had one when he was working at a coal power station, it took one hell of a beating and never broke. he had the XP1 and after 12 months they gave him the XP3.

so he decided to "test" how tough the XP1 was, few belts with a hammer, a dunk in a bucket of water over night and a drop from the 80 foot conveyor tower onto concrete. and it still worked. they also have a lifetime warranty.

not sure about nextG though.

oldboot
13-02-2010, 02:17 PM
the new T90 looks very similar to the sonim handsets......hmm

cheers

Scott nthQld
13-02-2010, 09:40 PM
My old man has the T90, I don't know what its capable of when it comes to the software etc, and I don't think the old boy is either, he just uses it to make phone calls.

Anyway, it's tough as nails, it fell outof his pocket the other week while he was mowing, a sure death sentence for any other phone, but even after being smacked by the blades and being shot across the lawn it still works faultlessly, only damage was a bit of a nic on the casing