PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Tinny info wanted

Tim Robinson
11-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a bit of a strange request. A few weeks ago in Sydney I saw a restored old Tinny. White , blue stripe, butter coloured inside and a very round transom. Very retro looking thing but way better looking than newer boats. Anyway I mentioned it in a meeting about a film shoot and now i'm expected to find a classic looking 1960's ish tinny:-/ So I have been googling like crazy to see if I can find a pic of a similar looking hull but I'm finding it hard. At first I thought maybe a Savage but then the colour of the interior said Quintrex to me but that could have been added. So does anyone have a picture of this sort of boat or have an idea as to what the classic tinny was back then.
Many thanks in advance.
Tim:-*

sleepygreg
11-02-2010, 08:24 PM
de havilland had a blue stripe back then, and plenty of rivets. early quinnies werent that rounded and usually had a red stripe, and an orange/yellow interior ( I had a 12' special circa 1968). Come to think of it Clarke had a blue stripe as well.

Greg

geoffmck
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
From your description, I would say definitely a De Haviland brand tinny. A popular and common model was the 16' Offshore. I has a 13' Norseman and it was a great little boat. Do some Googling for De Haviland and Topper Craft.

finga
12-02-2010, 08:27 AM
De-Havilland.
There's one around Woodburn.
A couple of blokes fish the river in it.
Their's does not show much colour due to bumping into things but the description fits.
The boats look like a few blokes from the airplane factory decided to go fishing and built the boat during smoko and lunch.

What precise era are you looking for as a lot of blokes have early boats.
My dad has a 1970 13' Quintrex with the original Evenruder (get the joke there??) and I have a 13' Stebercraft Beaver all original down the the trailer from the same era. I have not got a motor though. But I have a 1961 Royal Scott outboard...but no boat to bung it on :P

Has Sydney got a vintage boat club??
Brisbane has not got one :-/

Crocodile
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Hello Tim Robinson,

What do you plan to do with the boat?
I do hope that it is not to blow it up in a movie.
These old tinnies should be treated gently and enjoyed.
I used to have a De Haviland Topper, what a lovely little boat.
It shows how little we have progressed in the last 35 years.

If you make an old fashioned plywood boat from some old Glen L plans and paint it up you will get the same visual effect.
The rounded transom is called tumblehome.

sooty_mad
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a mate who has an old De Haviland punt. From years of use, the aluminium is worn that thin you can see the light through it, hundreds of pinholes and it leaks like a sieve. We still use it on Hinze dam occasionally although we always keep a good bailer handy.
Kind regards... David

FNQCairns
12-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello Tim Robinson,

What do you plan to do with the boat?
I do hope that it is not to blow it up in a movie.
These old tinnies should be treated gently and enjoyed.
I used to have a De Haviland Topper, what a lovely little boat.
It shows how little we have progressed in the last 35 years.

If you make an old fashioned plywood boat from some old Glen L plans and paint it up you will get the same visual effect.
The rounded transom is called tumblehome.

Very true if the toppercraft my father had is anything to go by 45 years ago, there was nothing that could be done in today's craft that it couldn't do then.

That also goes for the 115hp Caribbean 16 footer.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
here is a savage snipe, not exactly what you are looking possibly for but most wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SAVAGE-SNIPE-ALUMINIUM-BOAT-TINNY_W0QQitemZ220554369605QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_B oats?hash=item335a109a45

cheers fnq

tigermullet
12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
That Ebay bloke is lucky. $700 is the current bid for the Savage Snipe and makes me feel rich.;D

My little Snipe has now hit its 44th birthday and it's definitely not worth $700 even though it sits on a great trailer. Anyway, it won't be on the market because I am interested to see how long it will last before all the rivets fired through pin holes fall out and the damned thing sinks.

Everyone who gets on board worries about the amount of water it takes but I have great faith in the bilge pump.:P

tigermullet
12-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Sorry, Tim - I forgot to add that the boat you were looking at sounds very much like an old De Havilland. The dead giveaway, if fitted, was the steering wheel - they really were an early aircraft steering wheel - as per Finga's post.

finga
13-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Who made the little tinny known as a Dolphin??
I just remembered dad got one of those from the next door neighbour.
The neighbour used it for an open tank to collect rainwater.
We know it's a Dophin because it's pressed into the transom.
The builder might be there too but I cannot remember.....:P

It's another great little boat. Not as much 'style' as the De havilland but still a well built tinny when you compare to a new one.

Spin
13-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I have a tinny in the back yard here
Its more than 40 years old. its all rivets .

The old fella i got it off lives next door.
He owned it since new.
The top rails and front all rivets .