PDA

View Full Version : barra on curl tails

denuchi
11-02-2010, 03:55 PM
hey guys, just wondering if anyone has put time into fishing curltail grubs in 5" plus sizes for barra. I know all the rage is hollow's and slicks but just wondering if something different might make the difference on some of the tougher bites. these can be rolled slowly or fished eratic as you like. Keen to hear your thoughts....

NAGG
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Quite a few of us have tried various curl tails (grubs & swimbaits) ..... personally I've had little success on curl tail swimbaits - but that's not to say that the rippling tail could be successful under certain circumstances.

Chris

denuchi
11-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Chris, I was up there on the weekend with you guys, don't barra fish much that was my second time. Normally do my homework so didn't have any hollows and slicks weren't boiled so couldn't go as slow as i would have liked. that is were this thought come from, now naggs i know you love your barra what about lizard baits. swithched to this once before in tidal and got a fish in the first 10 mins. what's your thoughts on lizards.

dom

NAGG
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Chris, I was up there on the weekend with you guys, don't barra fish much that was my second time. Normally do my homework so didn't have any hollows and slicks weren't boiled so couldn't go as slow as i would have liked. that is were this thought come from, now naggs i know you love your barra what about lizard baits. swithched to this once before in tidal and got a fish in the first 10 mins. what's your thoughts on lizards.

dom

Who knows how a lizard would go ....... there are plenty of creature baits available out of the US - just havn't given them a go

Big_Ren
11-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Who knows how a lizard would go ....... there are plenty of creature baits available out of the US - just havn't given them a go

Lizards, punch baits, craws....I reckon they will all work under the right conditions...have packets of them myself, just a confidence thing I imagine, and more time on the water to put 'em to a reasonable test.

Curly tails.....well I know Lyndon (Seeking Barradise) has caught one or two.

Cheers
Paul

anthony72
12-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Dom,
After watching Jm's Monduran dvd I saw Lyndon was using 5 or 6"grubb. I have used since 5" grubbs and Tiki Anaconda 7" at Awoonga and Faust. Have had success when fishing these very slow amongst weed they definitely have their day, i use them weedless or unweighted and normally fish a drop off and drift them down. But have success using 7inch gulps same way. Currently using the anaconda on a chatterbait and getting a strong reaction bite in the new water in Awoonga.
As Paul said its definitely a confidence thing.

Bad_Bazza
12-02-2010, 10:03 AM
There was a guy, Les who was a regular contributor to this site on barra who fished the Berkley curly tails with success at Monduran.
He told me he used them when the barra were very slow.
He would throw them unweighted and rigged weedless into the timber and let them sink down into the branches then slow roll them out bumping over the timber.
He said that he lost a lot of fish but he also managed a few when things were slow.
You could probably extend that further and use bullet weights (as the yanks do) if you wanted to get them down faster.

Bad_Bazza

Dan5
12-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Mate i have caught plenty of wild barra on wiggle tail grub's.......Years ago Mister twister 4'' and scrounger's were really popular...even up to 7'' wiggle tails were commonly used effectivly on barra....But now with the huge choice in Sp's they have sort of been almost forgotten about.

On a side note years ago i got whacked in the head by a wayward cast by someone using a wiggle tail 7'' grub.......it hit me that bloody hard i lost my vision for about 1 minute and nearly fell out of the boat!....

Dan