PDA

View Full Version : Channel Markers

mustang5
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I dont know how you guys go, but of a night time I am just petrified with regards to channel markers that are out!

In the last two months I have seen quite a few in the pine river, 2 in fact which have been subsequently hit!!! 1 bent over, and 1 with a missing fin!

So, who is the best contact in notifying these people?? Would love to help out and just prevent something bad from happening!!! Especially when to the left of these markers is a sand bar and rocks.

Jeremy
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Me too. I reckon unlit channel markers are nothing less than a navigational hazard and whoever puts these hazards next to channels should be held accountable for any damage they cause.

My solution is to reduce speed at night annd use a bloody big spotty to pick out any obstacles in my path and burn the retinas out for any unlit boats too!

Goldfinch
11-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I totally agree. I have plotted all my courses in the day time so now when it's dark I can just focus on other boats and obstacles and not worry too much about the channel markers. I just follow my X's and thus far, no probs.

fsh00
11-02-2010, 10:57 PM
You should report them to Maritime safety Queensland so they can be included in the NOTICE TO MARINERS untill fixed, you can allso subscribe to the same on there web site so as to recieve emails about these things within the area of your boating activities.

Mr__Bean
12-02-2010, 04:58 AM
And whilst on the topic of the Pine River, what's with that old cruiser that someone has decided they should leave anchored in the river.

As far as I am aware there are no moorings in the Pine.

That old thing has been there for quite a while now.

- Darren

mustang5
12-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I know the exact one you are talking about as I have thought the same thing.. Its just on the corner about 50m from the red beacon right in where the shallow shoals are. Was thinking it is an odd place to moore.

Do you launch in the pine and head out through bramble do you Mr Bean??? Certainly have to be on your toes in the channel outside the bridge there. Especially when its blowing a bit.. A northerly wind has pushed me into the southern shallows quite a few times. Had to wait it out.

Mr__Bean
18-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry mustang i missed your post.

I rarely put into the Pine, I mainly head out of Scarborough or Mooloolaba.

I used to put my tinnie in there but lack of success soon put me off that and I sold it just recently.

- Darren