PDA

View Full Version : MSQ charts lacking Green Zones?

Damned67
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Hi All,
I grabbed a couple of the MSQ charts today, in hope of using it to try an find some fishing ground as I'm damn sick of the knob ends out at Harry's!!
This weekend past we had 2 boats pull up, about 30m away, DIRECTLY in our drift... And that's not counting all the others that anchored up damn close to our drift forcing us to find another drift. Even more annoying is that most of our marks are deliberately 'off' the reef so that we avoid all the boats...still, didn't stop them last weekend... And I'm not even going to comment on the fact that I very rarely see any of these boats sound around for a spot, just fly in and anchor up where everyone else is!
Oh, and then there was the guy that ran WOT through all the boats on his way out to somewhere else! Like it would have been SO hard to alter his course by 100m or so and bypass all these boats trying to fish.... but enough of my bitching...

Anyway, I've found some areas worth a general look-see on the chart, but I was curious to note that the Green Zones aren't marked on there.
Anyone have any idea WHY the Green Zones aren't on the MSQ Charts? Other than the obvious fact that they're two different government departments and MSQ probably hasn't received 'official' word for the EPA (or whoever) yet, being Government and all???

Cheers!

Scott nthQld
11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
the MSQ charts are supposed to be for navigation, marking obstacles etc, and since the "fisho hater" zoning does not present any significant obstacle they are not included. GBR zoning has been in effect for how many years now?? And there are still no official navigation charts available with the zoning, the only "chart" we get are the ones from GBRMPA, which explicitly state that "these maps are not to be used for navigation".......nice way to tell us where the zones are hey? You can't use you GPS for navigation, you can't use the pitifully detailed green zone maps, and there aren't official charts available with the zoning, no wonder so many people have been and still do get caught, you just can't win.

Fishbait
12-02-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree - I think these zones should be displayed on navigation charts in the future for sure. I've even marked all the GPS Marks for the different zones onto my chart so I can see exactly for myself. Just something I've done anyway. Maybe a question to the Minister will get us a definate answer for sure on what's going on with this? Cheers, Darren

Damned67
12-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Looking closer at these charts that I bought, the back side of the charts show some insets and SOME of the insets show SOME of the green zones.
I understand that these are 'navigational', but surely they could find some way to mark the Green Zones without hindering the navigation?

And surely the Green Zones/Go slow zones could be considered of navigational importance?