PDA

View Full Version : Transient thoughts

MitchCalcutt
10-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Turning 46 was just another day but being 46 made me go back over my life and a chance to reflect over a fairly mixed up time. Being my biggest critic in life reflection wasn’t a good thing.

In the early days keeping everything you catch was normal, not a lot of thought went into it. How was I to know the ten yellow finn I kept and couldn’t eat in the 70’s may have been the ten that parented 10 thousand that are not around today. And if 100 other anglers kept ten finn they didn’t need could that have been 100.000.000 around today?

I get particularly peeved these days when I see a boat full of people using bait jigs catching bucket loads of baby fish then twisting the heads off. I have tried to educate these anglers with no great success. I kept undersized fish back in the 70’s, so who am I to criticize others.

I love seeing young anglers catching fish, the looks on their faces are memories to keep. Will my 2.5 year old get a chance to catch a marlin or even a bream before fishing is banned due to lack of stocks? Will my boy and I get a chance to walk a paddock with a 22 before guns are totally banned?

Our fish stocks are highly dependant on a huge money spinner for some overseas company that doesn’t give a s--- about the end result. Bait fish such as slimies, pilchards, striped tuna and whatever can be netted by the ton. I don’t understand why we need to selfishly take the most important link out of the marine food chain for fertilizer. This isn’t just happening in Australia but world wide. I watched a doko early this year that showed long liners somewhere in the worlds deep oceans with 90km of line out, with some ridicules amount of hooks, each hook with a slimy. Each time the lines went out an entire bait school went out.

I make lures but I will use any conventional method to catch fish, including live baiting. If I catch something edible I will keep enough to eat for one meal, or if it happens to be big then two meals. So is this wrong? am I a hypocrite?

I have put a huge amount of thought into this over the past few years and don’t have an answer. I would like everything to be the same in ten years as they are now. The chances of that happening are none and F------l

Most of the people who use Ausfish fish with conservation in mind. The others are mad keen fishos, just like me.

I do like the saying (limit your catch, don’t keep your limit) or catch em all day but only keep your limit.

No need to reply I’m just venting.

Mitch

NEWBY
11-02-2010, 06:47 AM
Turning 46 was just another day but being 46 made me go back over my life and a chance to reflect over a fairly mixed up time. Being my biggest critic in life reflection wasn’t a good thing.

In the early days keeping everything you catch was normal, not a lot of thought went into it. How was I to know the ten yellow finn I kept and couldn’t eat in the 70’s may have been the ten that parented 10 thousand that are not around today. And if 100 other anglers kept ten finn they didn’t need could that have been 100.000.000 around today?

I get particularly peeved these days when I see a boat full of people using bait jigs catching bucket loads of baby fish then twisting the heads off. I have tried to educate these anglers with no great success. I kept undersized fish back in the 70’s, so who am I to criticize others.

I love seeing young anglers catching fish, the looks on their faces are memories to keep. Will my 2.5 year old get a chance to catch a marlin or even a bream before fishing is banned due to lack of stocks? Will my boy and I get a chance to walk a paddock with a 22 before guns are totally banned?

Our fish stocks are highly dependant on a huge money spinner for some overseas company that doesn’t give a s--- about the end result. Bait fish such as slimies, pilchards, striped tuna and whatever can be netted by the ton. I don’t understand why we need to selfishly take the most important link out of the marine food chain for fertilizer. This isn’t just happening in Australia but world wide. I watched a doko early this year that showed long liners somewhere in the worlds deep oceans with 90km of line out, with some ridicules amount of hooks, each hook with a slimy. Each time the lines went out an entire bait school went out.

I make lures but I will use any conventional method to catch fish, including live baiting. If I catch something edible I will keep enough to eat for one meal, or if it happens to be big then two meals. So is this wrong? am I a hypocrite?

I have put a huge amount of thought into this over the past few years and don’t have an answer. I would like everything to be the same in ten years as they are now. The chances of that happening are none and F------l

Most of the people who use Ausfish fish with conservation in mind. The others are mad keen fishos, just like me.

I do like the saying (limit your catch, don’t keep your limit) or catch em all day but only keep your limit.

No need to reply I’m just venting.

Mitch
Mitch, as this is my first post back after a 10 day errrrr Holiday, and even though you say no need to reply I think this one is worth the reply.
Your words are words of many. You dont have to look too hard to find em either (Unless they have been deleted for an unknown reason) there are thousands of posts reflecting the same words...
You are going to do your head in mate. See NEWS section and you will see what I mean when your read the thread from "The Real Andy"
Dont sit and contemplate what might NOT be for your kids, get off your ar$e and do something about it. I am 46 in July too so know what your thinking... It s a sad outlook. But 1we can, AND WILL, change...
Get the gun and join the battle mate. And if you DO want to stay sitting on yer ar$e, writeemails to your pollies re your concerns. Get your friends to add to your email, your neighbors etc...."Smash em"
and if you DO all that, welcome aboard and if ya dont, well its not worth the stress of contemplation with regards to the outcome. It will be inevitable.
Oh, Happy Birthday:D

Willdoe
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Being one of the older generation who only gets out a couple of times a year I like to keep my megre catch. I am always impressed when I read threads from some of the young guys on this site who catch, photograph and release fish Id love to catch.
Willdoe

Aunty Jack
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Thats Deep