PDA

View Full Version : lowrance problem ??????

1lastcast
10-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi all i have a lowrance lcx112c sounder plotter combo its 3 years old and never given an ounce of trouble until a few weeks ago when i ventured out wide after i reached 150m deep all that displayed on the sounder screen was red and green lines and the depth was reading 5m
I fished out in 350m ish depth all day and as soon as i reached 150m deep on the way back in it came good and worked fine again .
Just wondering has anybody else had this or a similar problem before i send it away ????
Any tips or advice welcome thanks MONOSTRETCHO

honda900
10-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Mono,

what transducer are you using? have you been beyond 150 mtrs before and was it working ok?

Regards
Honda

1lastcast
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda its a standard 50/200df transducer it is set up on auto depth range when i was out there i tried swithing between 50 and 200 manually and it stayed the same , i have never ventured out past 150m before any thoughts ?
Regards MONOSTRETCHO

honda900
15-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Mono,

Definately 50hz for deep water, I notice that my LMS unit takes a really long time to change frequencies, to go from 200 to 50 might take upwards of 2 minutes or so, seems to be normal for the unit.

Does sound like it went out of its working range though.

Regards
Honda.

1lastcast
02-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow i have learnt a lot about sounders in the last few weeks .
It seems that the transducer supplied with the unit is only capable of reading up to 300 ft ( even though on the box it says it reads up to 900ft ) a little strange i thought ::) anyway i have since made twenty odd phone calls to ` lowrance ` dealers only to be told several different stories until i got onto someone who at least sounded like he new what he was on about where i was told that i needed to upgrade the sounder with the latest download from the website and upgrade the transducer .
Sooooo i have now ordered a new broadband setup for it and a 1kw transducer for it hopefully all my dramas are over as soon as its all fitted up ill try it out and post up the results its a lot of cash but its cheaper than buying a new unit in another brand and like i said its never given me any trouble appart from that !

Regards MONOSTRETCHO

honda900
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Mono,

At least you have an answer.

Regards
HOnda.

1lastcast
30-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Just a quick update on the lowrance hopefully i can help someone else out if they ever have a similar problem .

tested the lowrance lcx112c out finaly after fitting the 1kw trancducer and the broadband and after all the bad weather lately finaly got on the water and i am very pleased with the results not only did the sounder read more clearly it also read the bottom at an incredible 900 meters out at the shelf travelling at 17.5knts when i slowed down to 6 knts it was very clear with very good detail.

so if anyone has the same unit and wants to improve it the details of what i used are
lowrance broadband sounder lbs-1 $800
airmartm260 1kw transducer $1250

the only thing is the transducer is quite large 260mm long/ 108mm wide /127mm thick so it looks like an afl ball on the back of the boat my boat is 6.1m i would think it would be too big for anything under 6m
cheers MONOSTRETCHO

siegfried
30-03-2010, 01:17 PM
That transducer will pick up way past 150m on 200 khz if it is working properly , you could get the head unit tested but I would try to get another transducer and test it, no need to mount it just poke it down on a stick. The 500w df lowrwance ducers are cheap if you get it from the US