PDA

View Full Version : How much would you pay for a 18" Sharkcat -hull only

Vromme
09-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi all, I would be interested to see what sort of $ you would expect to pay for a 1980's 18" Sharkcat hull? In ordinary to rough condition, no apparent structural faults.

Obviously a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" type question, rough guide only. Feel free to set any parameters/variables and cost differences you think appropriate.

Essentially looking into a project boat.

Cheers

Roger

Ratman
09-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Got any pics there Roger.

Does the floor have to come out. Bulkheads/transom rotten. Fuel tanks stuffed?

Mick

Vromme
09-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Mick,

No pics at this stage. Transom/floor/bulkhead seem firm. Would have to test fuel tanks but would assume replacing.

Has been antifouled and gelcoat knocked around, would need to strip back and redo. Everything else to be redone. Lots of work to be done just seeing if its worthwhile.

Cheers

Aunty Jack
09-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Id be pricing/quotes every thing that has to be redone,add 20 % for extras.
Note labour is not included its now a love job.
Then what would it be worth as resale or replacement.
Some were it there is your buy now price.
Thats my thought on it.
Good luck and take plenty of photo's.

Noelm
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
just a couple of things to remember when dealing with old Sharkcats (well any cat really) power is expensive, as in two of everything, trailers are a special item (although very easy to build) and as such, are not cheap, and very rare second hand, the early ones are not the best handling, when compared to the last of them, fuel tanlks will almost certainly need to be replaced, transom will be rare to be stuffed, but the floors are a bit suspect, just keep all that in mind when weighing up whether it is all worth it, I was sort of toying with the idea of buying an old one and cutting it to bits to make a centre console, you see lots of cheap ones around in pretty sad condition.

Noelm
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
OH, forgot to answer question on price, I have seen them from about 5 grand for a pretty tatty one, to 10 for a quite good one, with either no motors, or buggered motors, sometimes trailer, sometimes not.

Vromme
09-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys for the input so far.

Hi Rob, I was more looking at the value/cost of the hull, can workout the rest and the incidentals -maybe I’ll allow 50% for those- so easy to spend money!

I am glad to hear from you Noel as I have read tonnes of your previous posts and value your contribution. I remember reading somewhere about your centre console plans. Would love to know if you end up doing it.

Early days yet - if I do or not. Have done to a previous boat years ago (little 16’ Yalta). I am reasonably aware what I’m up against.

People are asking around $20k for average ones with oldish motors/trailers.

Just curious to see what people think the bare hulls are worth?

Noelm
09-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Never got the courage to do the centre console thing yet, but when I sell my current one and I have the room, if I cant find one I will give it a try, investigated what happend to the old centre console deck molds, but never made any headway on that point, old Sharkcats are very strongly built, and quite easy to fool around with, but as with all these sorts of things, results vary according to your skill level and your wallet, fibreglass is quite a tricky thing to work with, professionals make it look a breeze, and indeed a home handyman can do a reasonable job, but a first class finish needs experience and practice. Anyone can (say) fix a hole in a surboard, but cut the floor out of a boat and it all turns very itchy and into a big job very quickly.

gavsgonefishing
10-02-2010, 05:20 PM
A vfew years ago I put in a offer for a 18 ft sharky, trailer stuffed, no fuel tanks, no motors and a very average centre console, it was knocked back at 5k, its still sitting there.......It was the one with 6 planks on the side

I am actually in the early stages of designing a centre console, 2 seats fully protected cat, between 6 and 6.5 metres. At this stage going to build the mould myself etc etc, very early, but it will happen

Noelm
11-02-2010, 07:58 AM
hey Gav, can you let me know where it is? I might beintersted in zipping up there and making an offer.