PDA

View Full Version : Pending QLD Record - Barracuda on 8kg during SCGFC Classic

mirage
08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
The Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club Classic was held last Fri and Sat. It was an absolute cracker with perfect weather and plenty of fish. I thought I'd give a quick account of our weekend, with the highlight for us a pending QLD Record.

Four of us were out in "Double Trouble", a 6.5m KC. Friday was a very frustrating day for us. We had plenty of livies and gear taken by the wahoo gang and finally latched onto what we thought was a marlin, one splash on the water but fish not seen, but then he went deep and stayed there for 1.5 hours just slowly cruising SW. We eventually called it for a shark and busted it off but we're still not sure.

Saturday started better for us when 3 or 4 minutes after start of fishing we hooked onto a horse of a barracuda. Daryl Burnett got the fish to the boat in about 13 minutes and we were all surprised when he turned out to be a barracuda and not a whahoo. We knew he was huge but never thought we had a QLD record on 8kg line. He was 26.75kg and 1.71m long, missing the Australian 8kg record by 350gms!

About 5 minutes after getting the cuda on board we hooked up the largest black marlin the four of us had ever seen. After a sterling effort by Dave Williams, fighting this thing for 5 hours and 4 minutes, the stren 8kg line couldn't handle it anymore and snapped like a rifle crack about 5m above the double. That same section of line must have gone through the rod guides 100's of times with Dave pumping and winding trying to get him up, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. We had him to the boat at least 5 times but he stayed deep enough that he was just out of tagging reach. We even had Luke leaning over the bow of the boat trying to pin him and at one stage he nearly launched himself through the helm side window. All I saw was a big bill and a big eye as he flashed past.

We raced back to the bait and 5 minutes before cease fishing Luke Carter hooked up to another decent black. We tagged him 2 and a half hours later at 18:27. We estimated him at approx 75kg. The worn out 100lb leader snapped when Daryl grabbed it so we never got a photo of him.

For the comp results http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=160516&page=2

Thanks to Luke, Daryl and Dave for a great weekend.
Cheers, Scotty.

fishfreak01
08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
well done boys, it really sucks when you fight a big fish on spider web gear and loose it after all that time.

fishfreak

setthehook
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
wow that thing is a monster!! nice work!

Jeremy
08-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Well done on the record. Nice bonus for Daryl and the crew.

Sounds like an action packed weekend.

Jeremy

brisbane_boy
08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Dare you to eat it, nice catch.

TCSunCoast
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Great catch guys, after getting my dollie I was certain we would have pulled of heaviest other species until the great barracuda came to port.

Excellent work, see you next comp.

Tony
'Out Quoting'

mirage
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Fellas.

Tony,
Yeah that was a horse of a dollie too. Well done for matching the QLD record on him. You guys did very well up at the hards I gather. Can you post a piccy of the dollie?

Brissy boy,
No way we were going to eat that stinky cuda, couldn't give it away. 10kg of it was probably mercury!!
Scotty.

rogerb
09-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Well done on the new record, it some reward after spending 5 hours on a fish, I bet Dave knows all about that still. My longest fight at the weekend only lasted an hour and I can feel it now, must be getting old and soft.

Cheers, Rog (Blu Reela)

mirage
09-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks Rog, Yeah I remember thinking at the 3 hour point, "thank god I wasn't holding that rod at hookup!"
See you next time, Scotty.

fly_1
09-02-2010, 06:11 PM
well done scotty, have heard it was a good weekend. Next year we will get back for it. Until then, its back to the powder here in japan, its unreal at the moment...
Well done again boys....

mirage
09-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks Trent,
Yeah we had a great time. All went well and we learned heaps.
See you in Narita on the 14th unless something changes. Enjoy the powder, it's hot and wet here. Pi$$ed down for 2 days as soon as the comp ended!
Cheers, Scotty.

abbot_86
09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
wow what a cracker. nice job