PDA

View Full Version : Biofuels & Boats

Fishing_Freddy
07-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I received some interesting reading about biofuels in boats. I have attached a copy if it works.
Ken:beer:

Luc
07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Great for caltex & government, have to buy the dearer fuel!!

Luc

aussiefool
08-02-2010, 02:35 AM
No real news there. B.P. have been saying the same thing for the last 2 years.This is something that is being forced apon then by the Goverments.

BaitThrower
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM
But mysteriously, they have you think all this bad stuff listed ONLY happens to boat engines that use E10... Your car is totally immune to those E10 issues.... NOT!

PADDLES
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
yeah, sort of true baitthrower. the good thing about cars is that we use them nearly every day and the fuel never gets the chance to sit around for long periods of time. most engines built for the american market (ie. nearly everthing for a good number of years) is going to run just fine on e10 because the americans have legislated that it has to.

now i don't use e10 in my boat but have been told that if the fuel does seperate then the motor will still run to get you home but won't idle properly or maybe not at all, i've got a MPI mercruiser so i don't know the effects on 4s outboards or di 2s or worst case i suspect would be conventional 2s outboards ( i don't think they know how well the ethanol will mix with oil). i spoke to our mercruiser tech about this and he reckons that i shouldn't use it, even though mercruiser say it's ok and the design has to be suitable for ethanol use by US law.

i've used it (E10) but try not to, and if i do use it i try to make sure i use it as quickly as possible so it doesn't sit around.

i actually thought caltex use ethanol in their premium fuels, but obviously not. we actually use caltex standard unleaded in our mercruiser.