PDA

View Full Version : whats the chance two flat batteries

krazyfisher
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I have dual batteries in the boat and I have noticed over the last two trips that one battery does not hold charge well. While out today started on No 1 changed to No 2 could not send on the vhf or start flat so changed back to No 1 and all good till I get home to flush the motor nothing on 1 nothing on 2 nothing on both???.

now the batteries are calium marine sealed 2005 models.
1 shows 12.2v on the meter
2 shows 11.8v on the meter

I run 1 1/2hours each way and run out on one and back on the over would that be enough to charge?

could I just be unlucky to have both go??

thoughs

Steeler
06-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Hi Krazyfisher

I take it you have done all the usual checks,tight clean connections etc ?.No intermittent readings on your tacho ?.

Steve

krazyfisher
06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
cleaned tighten etc. no intermittent tacho but what does that mean what it the cause of that?

all the sounders and gps cd player all working.

maybe there is a fuse somewhere...... I will look in the morning

Steeler
06-02-2010, 07:41 PM
An intermittent reading tacho would have probably suggested a dodgy Regulator/Rectifier.

Steve

krazyfisher
06-02-2010, 09:04 PM
no thinking about it tacho was all good

BM
06-02-2010, 09:10 PM
Answer your phone dude!!

Greg P
06-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Check your dual battery selector internals if it is one of the large round perko type models. Could be the contacts inside coming loose. Happened to me 24nm offshore - the riveted selector contact fell apart. I thought my batteries may have been low but it ended up being caused by the contact not engaging fully.

BM
06-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Hiding behind anonymity is the soft option;)

So Steve you are who?

Steeler
06-02-2010, 11:33 PM

So Steve you are who?

Whats ya point,its just a signature.

Does it offend you ?.

Steve

Angla
07-02-2010, 12:35 AM
I would take the batteries to a battery place for testing, only after a good long individual charge from a charger and then another voltage test.

I have had seven years out of mine so far but can read the signs that they are not as good as there were new. I will bite the bullet shortly for two new ones. They are the life of the boat when out 50 or 60 kms. I also take along a jump starter as a backup for a possibility of starting when the main 2 just can't quite do it.

Cheers
Chris

krazyfisher
07-02-2010, 06:18 AM
I will check these things today

lee8sec
07-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Have you checked the charge rate? Does your sounder display volts?
Unlikely,but posable, to have 2 batterys die at the same time. Leigh

finga
07-02-2010, 06:43 AM

So Steve you are who?
;D;D;D Kinda answered your own question there I reckon ;D;D;D

I'm not having a go. I just had a good night sleep for a change and full of mischievous crap.
Na...correct that. I was having a go ;)

Anyway...back to the question.
Check the lot out today......and as Greg P has said sometimes the dual battery switch plays up especially if they get salt spray on them and it's a few years old.

krazyfisher
07-02-2010, 06:52 AM
I have just put the battery back in it is fully charged 12.8v switch the dual battery switch to No1 all accessories work with the key in the off position, on position everything still working and gauges all do what they should, turn the key to start and accessories keep working but no nosies no click no nothing from the back mmmmmm. seems to rule out the battery??? maybe I do know one is bad but the other seem good, seem to rule out the charging system??? as i would not think it would stop it from starting.....

more thinking to be done..

thanks all any ideas are welcomed

Fishbait
07-02-2010, 06:54 AM
Then again, if you've had one bad battery (or a bad cell), the other battery might get dragged down quickly from the old one. Do you ever put them on a charger at home or just rely on the big trip back into the ramp to charge? Might be worth the investment in a trickle charger, and maybe start again with another 2 new batteries, after all, they are nearly 5 years old. Have a good weekend.

finga
07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I have just put the battery back in it is fully charged 12.8v switch the dual battery switch to No1 all accessories work with the key in the off position, on position everything still working and gauges all do what they should, turn the key to start and accessories keep working but no nosies no click no nothing from the back mmmmmm. seems to rule out the battery??? maybe I do know one is bad but the other seem good, seem to rule out the charging system??? as i would not think it would stop it from starting.....

more thinking to be done..

thanks all any ideas are welcomed
More checking to be done.
Have you got a multi-meter or test lamp??
If so put one wire on the negative battery post that is clean and place the other wire (or pointer as in teat lamp) on each of the joins in the cable from the battery post to the the starter motor whilst someone trying to start the motor.
Start at the other clean battery post to get reference.
If the voltage drops down significantly (you'll see the difference) you've found the problem.
If not then swap the wire to the +ve battery post and do the same again for the negative side of things from the battery post to the side of the starter motor.
I say start from the battery post because that's the first port of call with a battery and a lot of problems are in the battery terminals which will be bypassed if you start the checks, or get the reference point, on the battery terminal thinga-me-jig.

Spaniard_King
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Is the boat wired correctly!!

I.e do you have complete Isolation when the battery switch is off or do you have some things wired direct to one or both of the batteries?

Its amazing how we think were all good with a dual battery system.

krazyfisher
07-02-2010, 09:01 AM
yes i believe that the boat is wired correctly... everything isolated.

Battery no 1 is all good.

I will be looking for a fuse or relay..

Dean1
07-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Take them down to battery world or the likes. They test them to see if they are holding charge or not. Takes a minute or so.

They are 5 yrs old a normal battery life is about 4 yrs. I would shout yourself some new batterys, I replaced mine recently as they were 4 yrs old. If your'e heading wide offshore its a good thing. I belive that if you get 4 yrs out of a battery its done its job!!

Deano.

Angla
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Question. What motor are you starting and how old is it? Have you looked at the starter motor and the solenoids or starter relay. check (by physically pulling and visually) all the terminals and lugs. Any affected cable joints should be repaired with new lugs and any deteriorated cables should be completely replaced. The batteries may still be fine.

Cheers
Chris

krazyfisher
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
angla

470 mercrusier.
been busy but next step is to
1. check neutral saftey switch
2. check the solenoid.

I will also check with a multi meter where the power gets to.

at this point I have found battery 1 good battery 2 dead
no clicking of the soleniod. contections all good

so at a guess charging still good. 1 battery still good , leads still good.....

oldboot
07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
If it is an inboard , I gather it has a more or less, car/truck style engine..and should have a bore or less car or truck style alternator........you you know the capacity of that alternator.

How big are the batteries?

If the boat was an outboard.......the expectations of the charging system would be considerbly lower.... some of the charging systems on outboards (even the large ones) are very pissy

If the boat sits idle of any length of time you would be wise to use some sort of "quality charger" at home.

cheers

gavsgonefishing
07-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Its quite simple the batteries are stuffed. Mate you have had a good life out of them by the sound of it.

T

finga
07-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Doh........the old stuffed neutral switch trick :D
Sometimes the really obvious are left last.
Electronics working OK and no starter click....starter solenoid or neutral safety.... Doh.....http://www.smileyhut.com/angry/wallbash.gif

krazyfisher
08-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Looks like the starter solenoid.... I have to go away with work for a couple of days but will have it sorted by the end of the week.
if it is anything else I will update...

thanks all for the help