PDA

View Full Version : Newest member of the Yak brigade

Cheech
06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I needed to do some repairs to my boat (21ft Swiftcraft), so headed off to B C F for a 10 dollar part. Walked out with a Kayak!

Have been thinking about getting one for about a year, because I find it a bit harder to get organised with the big boat so it spends most of it's life in the shed. And miss going up the creeks, which I use to do when I had a tinnie. But never really happened due to a bit of a problem with cashflow. Anyway, the local b c f had an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT on sale for half price. Came home first and googled forums and it seems that apart from a wet bum, all the feedback was really good. So back I went and maxed out the visa.

I figure it is probably a good size for me being 3.6m as I am only 5'6'' and 66kg. I can handle the weight and can get it on and off the 4by.

Now to source a cheap sounder and start tricking it up. Actually, probably the first thing I purchase will be a seat.

So there you go. Hopefully I will be able to start adding posts of my hugely successful yak fishing trips. :)

Cheech

stonecold
07-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Mate, yak fishings addictive. It can be so easy. My yak virtually lives on the roof of the ute....which i cop plenty of flack over but if im lucky enuf to knock off work early, or do a property inspection where there's some bassy looking water it takes me all of 2 minutes to get it off the roof load my gear and im fishing.;D

Just_chips
07-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Get yourself a decent seat too, it will make any session that you have just that little bit more enjoyable when your arse isn't numb and your back aching from sitting down on a hard surface with no back support.

These guys do some great kayak accessories - http://www.lscanvas.com.au/

Kev

murf
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
top stuff mate

I think we should get Chong to video your first paddle ;D

take it to Agnes this year and trol up a spanish or marlin out the front ;)

cheers Murf

wags on the water
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Did the yak fix the boat problem??? If not, then you need to return it and buy the right part.......

jtpython
07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
This is where you need to start a discussion on Pimping My Yak
Firstly do away with the paddle and throw a 4 horse pw motor on the back
:P
JT

Cheech
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Get yourself a decent seat too, it will make any session that you have just that little bit more enjoyable when your arse isn't numb and your back aching from sitting down on a hard surface with no back support.

These guys do some great kayak accessories - http://www.lscanvas.com.au/

Kev

Thanks for the link. that Couch looks to be the goods, and at $80 plus postage looks to be a reasonable price.

Did the yak fix the boat problem??? If not, then you need to return it and buy the right part.......

Actually no. They didn't have the part, so the big boat is still broken and continuing to gather dust.

Actually, I will create a new thread for tricking up the Kayak. I went back through 4 or 5 pages of threads trying to find something similar with no luck. May be a good sticky for people to post suggestions.

LostNearBribie
08-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the wet bum brigade mate, it is great fun.
There are plenty of options to add to your yak, rod holders are the first thing.
Use extensions to keep your reels up out of the water, very important!
There are a few really good yak dedicated sites out there if you have a look.
They are full of valuable info.

Have fun.

Cheech
09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Got your PM. Thanks for the link.

Cheech
09-02-2010, 08:12 AM
By the way, I have a question on transportation. The roof racks on my 4by are fairly low, and with the curve of the yak, it sits on the roof, clearing the front rack by about 100mm if I have it upside down. Can I travel with it right side up? Or will it take off at high speed?

They say to tie the front of it to the front of the car, but the only attachment point on the yak at the front is the carry handle, which is pretty flimsy 3mm cord. What is the story with that? You would think that if you are recommended to lash the front, they would have a tether point fitted. Do you just use the carry handle, or do h\you have other ways to secure the nose to the front of the car?

Just_chips
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I keep my yak up te right way and I only have 2 straps over the yak and no tie downs at the front or rear and have never had a problem with it on the roof this way, I pull them down pretty tight and the yak compresses a bit which keeps it nice and firm on the racks. But I also have three racks on the roof rather than just two. I did have a set of the rhino kayak cradles but I rarely use them now and just throw it straight on the racks strap it on and go, takes all of about 2 minutes. I have however spent a great deal of time loading utes for work etc over the years and as such I am fairly confident of what will and will not move on my car. The best thing to do is try the different methods on short drives at varying speeds taking care on corners and breaking etc. to see which is going to be the easiest and work for you and your yak/vehicle.

Kev

LostNearBribie
11-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I have the Rhino Heavy Duty racks and the cradles.
Mine sits nicely right way up and always travels that way.
As with Kev I have two rachet straps and that is all.