PDA

View Full Version : Sounder Wont Read

Seahorse
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Iam Having Trouble With Sounder Not Reading At Speed.
Depth And Images.
I Have Attached Few Pics Of Tranducer.
Do I Have It In Right Spot.
When Anchored Its Ok

Cheers
Greg

krazyfisher
06-02-2010, 05:02 PM
looks too high try to lower it by maybe 20mm

BlackArrow
06-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Just looking at you pics it looks to be a bit high and could be actrually out of the water at speed.
I don't know what make it is but with Lowrance ducers are set by putting a straight edge along the bottom of the hull and set the ducer so that half the pod is below the top of the straight edge.
Your ducer doesnt look like it kicks up so if something hits it, you might consider that before lowering it

dreemon
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Go lower, but the angle looks right

Spaniard_King
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Lowe the whole trany untill the bottom face is completely in the water.

Seahorse
06-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Do U Think The Transducer Is In The Correct Position From Left To Right.
Shold I Move It Left Or Right From Its Present Position.
I Will Drop It.
The Bottom Of Transducer Does Sit Level With Flat Part.
Should I Put One Of Those Covers Over It, That I Have Seen On Here.

Cheers
Greg

indy
06-02-2010, 08:19 PM
I have to agree with the other guy's way to high and also in the wrong spot they welded that plate in the wrong spot being behind the planing strake is no good either should be in between the two so you get no air bubble's coming from the strakes.

Seahorse
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
i guess i could screw another flat plate over the existing plate just wide enough that the trans can be screwed to new plate and sit the trans in the middle of the flat part in between the ridges.
does that make sense?

cheers
greg

indy
07-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Yeah i understand what your saying either that or pay someone to weld another plate beside it might look a bit better and be stronger. Probably pay you to go to bias and get a sliding bracket so you dont have to redrill holes all the time when adjusting the height. With mine i had to go fairly deep to get a good reading and inturn had to also get a spray shield from northside marine to stop the salt water going over the outboard. They where only cheap but made all the difference.

Bowser
07-02-2010, 11:12 AM
You might get away with the location but it certainly needs to be lowered. It becomes areal juggling act with the strakes on your boat. You need it deep enough to get clear water over the face without any bubbles coming of the strake or any other bump in the hull but not so deep as to cause a massive rooster tail and going further towards the centre of the boat is probably going to place it to close to any disturbed water created by the propellor and leg. If you move out it will need to be more then the bracket allows so thaht you can get between the next 2 strakes. I'd just try to lower it first and suck and see. If it isn't any better then look at moving it further outboard, where you will also have to bear in mind the location of your trailer support. The extra holes that may be requiered in the tab aren't going to cause any problems later.

Seahorse
07-02-2010, 08:17 PM
i was thinking of getting a hard cutting board, cut size of plate but just a few inches wider so i can screw trans to.
i can screw the cutt board inside bracket. i only need to move over inch or two to get to middle of the strakes.
i will get a trans brak as well, to adjust the height.

cheers
greg

indy
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Greg if you like i can get you a piece of ally and cut to suit it you like, your idea should be ok with the couple of inches wider let me know measure it up and give me the dimensions and you can pick it up from my place at kallangur.

Angla
07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
As said by others, I would just go down if the bracket allows, but if you have to drill new holes you may as well get it into the right spot. The ducer cover are the go if you get a rooster tail. I had to use 1 and a half to fix my spray problems. I just pop riveted the 2 bits together.

Cheers
Chris

Seahorse
09-02-2010, 05:52 PM
indy.
thanks for the offer. i have put a piece of the real thick cutting board over bracket, cut to same shape, but just made a few inches wider towards the motor.
i bought a trans bracket to slide up and down.
The trans is now in the middle of the stakes.
I just have to get height right now.
thanks for ur help.
Those transd covers are worth a fortune.
Small piece of alley, shaped = $40.
Thanks to everyone else who helped.

cheers
greg