PDA

View Full Version : home made trailer rego question

gazza2006au
06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
i just brought a boat,trailer,motor from a boat shop they used the boat for personal uses the trailer is home made with no serial number how do i go about getting it registered again?

Kleyny
06-02-2010, 02:40 PM
go to Queensland Transport and they will give you a chassis number you stamp on it.

neil

oldboot
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
If you can get a coppy of a previous regestration certificate, life for you will be much easier, as you will be able to show a record of previous regestration.

If not you may have to jump thru a few hoops.

cheers

finga
06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Easiest thing is to say the trailer was built in 1972 and that solves a few headaches or you can just stamp a number on and say that's the chassis number.
But that's only between us here ;)
But it is not hard to register a home made trailer.
You have to get the little blue plate and fill that out and put the number they give you on the plate and trailer (not too sure about this bit).
But that's if it's in QLD and under 750kg capacity.
For more info...http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/index.aspx
and
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/Caravans_and_light_trailers/#NAME1

bob f 57
06-02-2010, 09:00 PM
thats between us on here;)

funny made me smile

chris_s
07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
If the trailer is rated above 750kg you need to get it weighed at a public weigh bridge and get cert, go to dept trans and get paperwork, a vin plate and they will issue you a vin #. Engrave the plate with the vin details and ALL others fix the plate to the trailer before taking it back to dept of transport to inspect. Wait in line for hors and they will eventually come and inspect, done.

gazza2006au
07-02-2010, 12:18 AM
im in nsw and trailer is only for a 12 foot tinny

Steeler
07-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Gaz

I'm in NSW and from memory you will need to have it weighed,if in Newcastle the recyclers at Teralba will do it $17.00 i think and then take the paperwork to a repairer who can do blue slips and he will check lights etc and stamp a number into it for you then off you go to the RTA to get ripped off.You will have to have the boat off the trailer when being weighed,that's the pain in the neck bit.

Cheers

Steve

Angla
07-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Gaz

I'm in NSW and from memory you will need to have it weighed,if in Newcastle the recyclers at Teralba will do it $17.00 i think and then take the paperwork to a repairer who can do blue slips and he will check lights etc and stamp a number into it for you then off you go to the RTA to get ripped off.You will have to have the boat off the trailer when being weighed,that's the pain in the neck bit.

Cheers

Steve

It's a 12 foot tinny. How hard would it really be?

Cheers
Chris

Steeler
07-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Didn't say it was hard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finga
07-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Gaz

You will have to have the boat off the trailer when being weighed,that's the pain in the neck bit.

Cheers

Steve
Easy solution....bung the boat in the briney with a line and kg of prawns and let the wife, or other significant other I should be saying I suppose...take the trailer and do all the rego bit and come and pick you up in the arvo on the way home.
Not hard at all really ::)

oldboot
07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I think in QLD they will require a weigh bridge cert regardless if it is a "home built".

You would be wise to gather some information.... because the form is a game of 20 questions for a self assessed trailer......you will need to state things like the axle capacity, spring capacity and a variety of dimensions.

The spring and axle capaities can be derived from trailer parts catalogues......an axle of a particular diameter, with particular bearings and wheels of a certain size... will be a certain rating....well close enough......same with springs.

a few measuring tools and the ATS trailer parts catalogue should have it sorted.

Hell with a 12" tinny just dump it off on the lawn...... most dumps / waste transfer stations have weigh bridges that can issue certificates these days.... there are some others in unusual places too.

cheers

gazza2006au
07-02-2010, 04:37 PM
i will call a mechanic tomorrow one that does blue slips and find out what the go is i will also take the trailer to a weigh bridge there is one locally and didnt cost more than $30 from memory took less than 10mins if all else fails i will just try to buy a new trailer for the time being if i can get a mate to go fishing i will just put the tinny on my box trailer :o ;)