PDA

View Full Version : HDS 5x Transducer location and type - skimmer or in hull?

stevet
06-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Gents

After saving pennies and with the help of the man in the red suit I can finally pitch the antiquated Eagle 128 for a Lowrance HDS 5X sounder.

the Eagle did have an in hull transducer

From the finish of the hole it looks like the boat was made with the hole in the hull. If put in after I suppose it really does not matter as it has been done very professionally Attached is a photo of it in the kill tank area.

The HDS 5X came with the usual skimmer transducer. The sounder is going into a Allison 175 Fisherman and attached is a photo of the bottom transom area.

I am hoping to get advice as to :

1. If I fit the skimmer transducer I am thinking of doing it about 300mm in from the centre of the hull which is about the same line as where the roller is. Would this be an appropriate position?
2. Would better results be gained by replacing the existing in hull transducer?
3. If an in hull transducer what transducer and approx cost. I fish in a maximum of 100mm of water.

All advice and thoughts gratefully acceoted

Thanks In advance
stevet

stevet
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
bump

Here's hoping for some guided wisdom

thanks
stevet

Bowser
10-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Mate, I would probably look for a thru hull transducer to replace the old one as the best option. They are expensive here but if you look around you can get very good transducers from the states very cheaply. Look for an Airmar brand as they are probably as good as any and you get them with the right connection there straight out of the box. Airmar trannies are the ones used on most Furono set ups. This way you don't need to drill holes in your transom for the skimmer. While waitng for the new tranny you can try to hook up the existing one to the HDS. They have the ability to use a wide range of trannies unlike the older models. The thru hull will give optimum results as you are sure to get clear water across it. As far as cost, I bought a skimmer Airmar for my aluminium boat and cost was less then $200 landed from memory. You will have to do some research for a supplier as I have lost my bookmarks of the places that I bought from. But just look around and compare prices, go to the Airmar website and you will get a lot of info about the various types available and you should be more then happy you did. With the HDS there is no need to go to a high power unit, the digital technology will more then make up for the lack of power. I would think something like the P319 would be suitable or better still the B60 which has a tilted element to allow for the deadrise..

If you decide to go with the skimmer, then the location you are talking of looks OK from the photo, although I would probably try to get it a bit further away from the rollers to ensure that it is never in a position to get damaged by the same thru some freak accident.

krazyfisher
10-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I could not get mine to read with a skimmer, but have been given a shoot thru to try ... just put it in and reads well at full noise. best I could do before was 25kph

honda900
16-02-2010, 01:45 PM
blue heron marine in the states, under 100.00 for the p79 in hulll dual frequency transducer and cable. good to deal with too.

Regards
HOnda.

stevet
16-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Gents

thanks for the great advice

Bruce Allison very kindly offered advice on their preferred location for a transom transducer

the idea of keeping the inhull really appeals - it just makes it simpler install certainly will check out the p79

thanks

spen

Dimmorz
17-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I run a skimmer on my HDS5. I ended up running it lower than suggested by Lowrance. I sikaflexed a HWM PE block (ie chopping board type plastic) to the transom so I could move the transducer around without turning my boat into swiss cheese.

Full sounding at full speed (approx 45kmh)

leelee
17-02-2010, 01:49 PM
My skimmer is epoxied into my hull and shoots through fine.

Cheers

Lee

stevet
20-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Gents

thanks for the thoughts and optiions

both setups sound interesting

any chance of some photo's

steve