PDA

View Full Version : Baby Flotation Devices

Daisy Burnett
05-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Guys
A quick but important question does anyone know the law pertaining to very young child to baby bouancy vests. I am expecting a new baby in about 2 weeks and a new Tabs 5.45 Ocean Series in about 2 months.
Safety being paramount I am trying to find out what flotation is available and good. Not to mention what the legal requirement is. As in is there a min age/wieght for kids in small craft.

Cheers
Daisy

FNQCairns
05-02-2010, 09:59 PM
We decided to leave our young one out of the boat until she had full and proper control of her head, I have heard of very young ones on boats with bean bags while held by and adult but here we considered the experience can hold nothing of value to them at the time or for the future so we waited.

cheers fnq

Horse
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
We decided to leave our young one out of the boat until she had full and proper control of her head,

Spot on FNQ.

We run Learn to Swim classes for children from 6mths. For the period up to 12 mths we take particular care of head orientation and support. I suggest you do the same

JEWIENEWIE
06-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I have a 4yr old and a 6mtn old. Both have been out in the boat from say the age of about 4 to 5 months. But the above comments are very important.
It is very imprtant as mentioned to give the head alot of support. So i only took them out if the river was like a sheet of glass and had the baby held by mum at all times while under way to control head movement.. Smallest lifejacket possible.
Before either of my kids even got in the boat, whenever i came home from a fishing with the boys, i would put the little one in the pram outside with me and let them watch me flush the motor, hose down etc, this way you are getting them familiar with the boat noise etc.
Remember this is ment to be fun so if he or she gets distressed, reassure them and remove them from the area, you dont want this to freak them out and put them off. I was lucky both of my kids didnt seem to be to worried about the noise and was happy to sit in the pram and watch.
For the first boat journey, it can pay to have a spare set of hands on board, take a mate or some one who the baby is familiar with if possible as well as mum of course, i just felt more comfortable doing this to help out if needed in case things got tricky or went wrong.
i started the boat first then put her in as so she was already use to the noise, instead of getting her in the boat then starting the motor and freaking her out.
Just take things easy and play it by ear, i just putted around at about 6 knots, for awhile to see her reaction, she was ok with it so slowly gathered speed, to my surprise she loved the thing, after about 10 mins i was able to get the boat up on the plane and beliveit or not she fell asleep to the sound of a 30merc two stroke in about 5 mins.
I did both if this with my 2 kids and they love every bit of going out in the boat. I am very lucky that they both feel comfortable with the whole thing.
Just keep if fun, SAFE, and enjoyable for everyone and se how you go.
Jewie

Apollo
06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Agree with everything mentioned above. My 5 & 3yr old was started out the same as Jewie. Both now love boats.

Steve

Daisy Burnett
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Guys
Thanks some really good points that I will take on board (no pun intended) The idea about having the baby in close vicinity of a running outboard and watching reactions is something I would not have thought of but I will be doing.

Thanks Again

Daisy:)

Steve B
06-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Daisy,

Like others have pointed out, I totally agree with. I have had the same experience as Jewie and Steve (apollo). I agree with FNQ, at the very early stages there is no benefit to the child to be out on the water. A rattle and set of car keys to play with is their entertainment!!

But, when you decide its the right time, the hutchwilco range of life jackets are pretty good. The littlest one (XXXXS0 from memory) has a extra flotation on the front, and around the back of the head. Essentially, if a child was to fall out, it would float belly up and head out of water. They have a comfortable strap with material around the bottom (so no wedgies!) and my kids were comfy wearing them. there are cheaper ones on the market, and I wouldn't touch them.

Cheers Steve

JEWIENEWIE
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The main reason for taking my young one out so young was not so much for his experience but more for the reason of still functioning and doing what me and the missus loved doing before they came along. To many people lock themselves away after having kids and stp enjoying the things they use to and can blame the kids.
A friend told me before i had mine that kids will enhance nearly everything you do and he was pretty well right.
Jewie

reilly
07-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I left it till they where around 2 to 3 Murphy's law worried me.

My first son was 2 he loved it and was happy to be there but my second son was to unpredictable even on a 1-1 basis I left it for a year and you know he's the one to come out now loves it

Mostly I worried if we ended up in the drink life jacket would save them, but hypothermia and shock would take its toll fast with baby's bad enough with older kids and adults

Just one thought to be considered.

SnapHead101
07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
PFD regulations do not go lower than a body weight of 10 kg. In QLD at least you are not required to have PFD for children of less than one year of age. Having said that we got lifejackets (not PFDs) that fit our kids when they were less than one year of age. It was five years ago we bought it, but pretty sure it was from ##### or BCF. It looks a bit like a waistcoat, was very comfortable, but wouldn't hold a child upright I should think.

I found the info at a www.qld.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/qld/downloads/MIB%20Safety/PDF%20Info.pdf (http://www.qld.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/qld/downloads/MIB%20Safety/PDF%20Info.pdf)

Hope this helps.

Daisy Burnett
07-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Daisy,

Like others have pointed out, I totally agree with. I have had the same experience as Jewie and Steve (apollo). I agree with FNQ, at the very early stages there is no benefit to the child to be out on the water. A rattle and set of car keys to play with is their entertainment!!

But, when you decide its the right time, the hutchwilco range of life jackets are pretty good. The littlest one (XXXXS0 from memory) has a extra flotation on the front, and around the back of the head. Essentially, if a child was to fall out, it would float belly up and head out of water. They have a comfortable strap with material around the bottom (so no wedgies!) and my kids were comfy wearing them. there are cheaper ones on the market, and I wouldn't touch them.

Cheers Steve

Steve
Thanks for that I was looking for that product name as I had heard it some time ago. On checking out the website I found an interesting point for anyone else reading this thread is the baby sized floatation device is not rated in Qld. Of course I am of course expecting to move to Townsville at the end of the year, so Murphy strikes again.

Cheers
Daisy