PDA

View Full Version : New update for all Lowrance HDS model

BlackArrow
05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
A new update has just been added to the Lowrance update site for all HDS models.

Blackarrow

What changes are made in this update?
This update with Application version 2.5.31.56 and Platform version 56.13-3 includes all the 2.5.31.56 functionality previously released and also enables HDS compatibility with micro SD cards.
2.5.31.56 regardless of Platform version includes the following enhancements:

SONAR/ECHOSOUNDER

Enhances Broadband Sounder automatic mode for optimum target detection and display without manual adjustment
Overall improvements in Broadband Sounder PerformanceCHARTPLOTTER

Adds radar overlay viewing option function for all Navionics® chart displays
Adds adjustable transparency feature to Navionics® satellite photo overlays (land and/or sea) with Platinum+ and Platinum chart displays
Resolves and improves media readability of Navionics® Platinum+, Platinum and Gold chartcards, with expanded support for other SD cards
Improves vessel positioning display accuracy while enhancing improved navigation to waypoints and navigating/retracing trailsIncorporates support REQUIRED for StructureScan™ Sonar Imaging functionality:

Unifies SideScan and DownScan Imaging™ display with 455/800 kHz imaging transducer soundings
Expands split-screen viewing to 3- and 4-window displays on HDS-8 and HDS-10 models
Enables new synchronized TrackBack™ feature for simultaneous scroll-back through sonar history and chartplotter trails in all displayed windows (DownScan Imaging™, SideScan, Broadband Sounder™, cartography) for waypoint marking
Activates new DownScan Overlay™ feature, merging Broadband Sounder and DownScan™ views in a single, adjustable display for the clearest structure and fish target interpretation ever achievedIncludes the following changes from previous updates:

Fixes issue displaying some lakes with Navionics Premium North and East charts.
Much faster loading time for all Lowrance charts.
Support for Navionics cartography up to Platinum+ via first release of Navionics Turboview® viewer
Tides and Currents feature now available for Nautic Insight™ and Nauticpath™ cards, including full-screen tide and current predictor
General improvements to user interface responsiveness and key-flow, and enhanced pop-up help
General improvements to chart zoom and pan redraw speed, including much faster drawing of shaded relief in Lake and Nautic Insight™
New “Steer” navigation panel with full highway display, compass rose overlay and digital route data presentation
Numeric entry and waypoint position edit mode now faster to operate
Improved access to waypoint, route and trail library functions
Improved import and export of waypoints, routes, and trails
Added ability to export and import user settings
Default waypoint names shortened to reduce display clutter with large numbers of waypoints
Added ability to enable & disable WAAS and select the active GPS antenna to the satellites page
New fast ping speed display settings for very deep water
Improvements to sonar bottom tracking in particularly difficult conditions
Improved presentation when networking sonar between HDS and LCX or LMS products
Both digital and analog gauges now update faster
Improved access and set-up of pages with new Pages system menu for access to overlay data and SIRIUS® audio controls
Repeated pressing of PAGES key now rotates the Pages carousel which retains split screen
selections for faster access to frequently used functions
Now possible to configure sensors directly from streamlined overlay data selection menu
Improved Info page layout options including navigation and tournament layouts including for split screen use
Now easier to set your local time
Automatic detection of multiple engine and tank data sources
New steer-to compass available on info page and as overlay data option
Trip log data items now available as an overlay data item
Improvements to fuel management user interface
Data overlays now display port or starboard label for sensors where appropriate
Now possible to set independent keel offsets for multiple depth transducers
New support for chart/radar overlay on all Lowrance charts only (including Nautic and Lake Insight™) with multiple palette choices and full transparency control
Now supports BR24 Broadband Radar close-in ranges down to 200ft or 50m
Improved radar update performance
Chart will now keep the vessel on screen when using the chart/sonar or chart/radar shadow cursor at high boat speeds
Waypoint arrival radius and course deviation indicator settings now accessible via new Navigation system menu
Chart boundaries now displayed on Lowrance charting
Trails settings moved to Chart system menu
DSC support added over NMEA 2000
Track-Your-Buddy support added for compatible VHF radios
Improved handling of NMEA 0183 input from some non-standard devices
Added full SIRIUS® weather transparency control
Added SIRIUS® weather history animation up to 12hrs (Lowrance charting only)
Added SIRIUS® marine zone warnings
Improvements to SIRIUS® audio channel selection
Support for new SIRIUS® subscription options
Now possible to upgrade other head units and network modules via the ethernet
SIRIUS® connection diagnostics moved to Networking system menu
Improvements to screen capture function interface including full screen preview
Ability to copy all sonar logs or screen captures to SD card simultaneously
Networked settings can now be restored to factory defaults
Added full support for German, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, Finnish, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Croatian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Slovakian and Ukrainian languages

battler1
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Blackarrow no dis repect mate but with all those changes you would need a 4G SD to load updates No electronics company could have so many changes if so it only shows that they have major issues .

Joe

BlackArrow
06-02-2010, 04:33 AM
At least they are fixing issues

battler1
06-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Blackarrow they know the problems before releasing but they release anyway cause they have created the hipe & cant with draw pretty sad state of affairs when this happens .

They should have a stable software before releasing but they get the end users to sort out the bug's.

I was in a store in Tingalpa this week & the guy said all he does its sort out warranties & the unit in mention have a bad problem which is they fill up with water.

You say at least they are fixing things HELLO over 50 Fixs for one product with one software up date Come on thats not good.

Joe

At least they are fixing issues

Trekka273
06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
They aren't all fixes. Looking at the list, a lot fo them are small changes to make things slightly easier to use, access, see, etc. True, there have been some problems with some of these units, but is it not better that they look to fix these problems and improve the usability of the units? I am pretty happy that they are still working on imporving them.

lee8sec
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
"Includes the following changes from previous updates:"

See the above sentence also, they are NOT all NEW updates, 10 are new.

And as Trekka said there not all fixes they are advances in what the unit can do.

ie: Track-Your-Buddy support added for compatible VHF radios
Added full SIRIUS® weather transparency control
Added SIRIUS® weather history animation up to 12hrs (Lowrance charting only)
Added SIRIUS® marine zone warnings
Added full support for German, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, Finnish, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Croatian, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Slovakian and Ukrainian languages
Now easier to set your local time( always there,just easier)
Automatic detection of multiple engine and tank data sources

How many other units on the market do this? The bitch use to be " cant update / upgrade soft ware, have to buy a new unit" now you can update people bitch about the updates available.:o

If you look at my other posts iam not a lowance lover by a long shot, but beleive in credit where its due.
Yes i own 2 of them. Leigh

BlackArrow
06-02-2010, 12:43 PM
HELLO battler1
I’m just a fisherman who buys products that are capable to being updated over the internet and am happy to continue to do updates to hopefully improve the product rather than have to buy a new sounder to get the latest changes.

So I am happy to update my HDS with my continually updated internet and supporting updated software and examine my sonar photos and (hopefully sonar logs soon) on my continually updating LDC or Plasma TV.

If you buy products that are so advanced that they don’t need updates then good luck to you.

As others have said “how many other products in this field update” In case you missed it we live in a world that continually updates.

leelee
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the link Blackarrow. I am already running this update, thanks Grand_Marlin, and everything works fine.

Blackarrow no dis repect mate but with all those changes you would need a 4G SD to load updates No electronics company could have so many changes if so it only shows that they have major issues .

Joe

Mate the file is only 332mb as an exe file and the unzipped files is around 350mb which fall well short of needing a 4g sd card.

Take a second look at the new release as not everything is a fix as previously suggested. I deal with releases like this everyday for software and out of the entire patch there is only 1 fix which resulted from a defect and that is -

Fixes issue displaying some lakes with Navionics Premium North and East charts.

The rest of the release is for new functionality and for improving existing functionality and making some functions easier to use. So I don't see how this is actually a big issue as the product is being refined for better end user experience.

Cheers

Lee

Scott Mitchell
08-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Joe

So Joe - what brand do you use ;)

I take it - Not Lowrance ?

Regards Scotto

battler1
08-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Hi Scotty funny you say that but ive used Lowrance for many years & still run a Global Map 2000 as a plotter & Furuno 620 in my Bar Crusher .Been happy with both & the Map 2000 ive had for over 12 years & the 620 i brought at the tackle & Tinny show last year off Bias Boating .

Joe

Pretzil
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Any fix that makes waypoint names not just orientate north, i.e upside down when moving south???

Pretzil
08-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Wait, this is old isnt it? I think I downloaded this one in December last year. And no, it doesnt fix my problem...

leelee
08-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Wait, this is old isnt it? I think I downloaded this one in December last year. And no, it doesnt fix my problem...

Did you end up contacting Lowrance about this?

Keen to find out the solution because I don't have that probelm with mine and it may just be a setting.

Do you want to post up the setting I have for the GPS regarding course etc?

Cheers

Lee

honda900
08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Firstly if you are happy with what you have and your unit is working as expected, you do not need to upgrade the software till you are ready.

As a few have alluded to, this update includes a bunch of product enhancements, changes to menu structures, easier ways to find configuration settings, new language support etc.

There are a few patches as well, bugs generally introduced during the software development cycle.

Pretzil,

I dont know that this addresses your issue, sound strange, I run mine configured to always have north up and the text rotates fine anyway;

it is an update from the 2.51.36 to version 2.5.31.56, it was release 01/02/2010, if you are not sure check version of software you have from the menu of the unit ;

How to see if your HDS is already using version 2.5.31.56 with micro SD support software:

From a chart or sonar page, press the MENU key twice to activate the Settings menu.
Select SYSTEM.
Select ABOUT from the SYSTEM menu.
The software version is displayed with the title "Application" and 2.5.31.56.
The platform version is displayed with the title “Platform” and 56.13-3
If your Application and Platform version are the same as listed in steps 4 and 5 above, there is no need to download the software.

Regards
HOnda.