PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird sounder

troy11
04-02-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi all

I have a humminbird matrix 17 sounder and in the past it would turn off if the boat smack a wave. yesterday the system turned off and now will not power back up. i have checked that it is getting 12v to the power input on the sounder. just wondering if any one has come across this and if so is the an easy fix, or do i have to take it and get it repaired or worse buy a new onw.

Cheers for any help
Troy :'( :'( :'(

leelee
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Find out where the power source comes from and check the following -

* Replace in line fuses as with salt water fishing they will carrode and lodge their way in the holder and make it hard to get out

* If they are wired to the battery then clean the terminals and the connection.

* Clean out the connections on the unit and the connectors themselves that plug into the unit

* Put a new battery in place if possible and test if it works as most sounders require a certain amount of volts to work or they will not switch on

You can take it the BLA and get them to look at it but I am not sure on cost etc when you take this path sorry

Cheers

Lee

troy11
04-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Cheers for that Lee

i have done all that and that seems fine taking it to a repair guy is my last resort as they tend to charge a fair bit just to look at it even if they are unable to fix the unit. traced out the voltage parth and the unit itself gets the voltage it just seems like there is something lose within the unit.

Cheers
Troy

Doug Vahrenberg
04-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Try spreading the pins in the power cable gently towards the sides to create more contact. It needs a little resistance when plugging in. Best way to test is remove power cable from Mount and plu in by itself. Another way to test would be to test another unit on your mount and your on another boat. THis will help trace where the concern is located in the power supply or unit.

troy11
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
cheers for that
went and done that this morning with a mate and his works fine on my boat and mine still fails to power up.
i have taken the cover off the unit and it get 12V at the connector on the inside but that is as far as i can go without the circuit wire diagrams.
which really sucks as i have the gear to test it just not the diagrams and everyone charges a heap for them.

Cheers
Troy

Daisy Burnett
04-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi all

I have a humminbird matrix 17 sounder and in the past it would turn off if the boat smack a wave. yesterday the system turned off and now will not power back up. i have checked that it is getting 12v to the power input on the sounder. just wondering if any one has come across this and if so is the an easy fix, or do i have to take it and get it repaired or worse buy a new onw.

Cheers for any help
Troy :'( :'( :'(
Troy,
Allways hard to track down but the earth may be the culprit. This may be offset by moisture and salt. Liberal amouts of Marine 66 may help.