PDA

View Full Version : Build up on Painted Hull

Bear001
03-02-2010, 05:22 PM
What product would you recommend to get the scum build up off my green painted hull?

Although the hornet gets a wash every couple of trips (freshwater only) I have a dull build up (probably from sitting in the dam overnight) that needs to come off!

Was told Eucalyptus oil - but bit reluctant to try it:-/

Cindy

marty+jojo
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Car polish???
Marty.

Blackened
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
G'day

Cindy, use a quality car/boat wash a bit more concentrated than normal and a soft broom/sponge. Failing that, a quality polish or wax.

Not sure why someone recommended eucalyptus oil, it's a solvent excellent for doing the work of acetone. It will not damage the paint on your hull but simply is not needed here.

Dave

toecutter
04-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Oxalic acid works a treat for water stains. You just wipe on with a rag and rinse straight off - it's amazing to see how it makes the stain just vanish instantly. I've heard they use this stuff in toilet cleaner but you can buy the acid from cleaning supply stores. One caveat, I use it on fibreglass so I don't know how or if it will affect unpainted aluminium. I do know it will chew through gal, so rinse any that spills on the trailer straight off.

I've also heard lemon juice works too, but never tried it.

Blackened
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Oxalic acid works a treat for water stains. You just wipe on with a rag and rinse straight off - it's amazing to see how it makes the stain just vanish instantly. I've heard they use this stuff in toilet cleaner but you can buy the acid from cleaning supply stores. One caveat, I use it on fibreglass so I don't know how or if it will affect unpainted aluminium. I do know it will chew through gal, so rinse any that spills on the trailer straight off.

I've also heard lemon juice works too, but never tried it.

G'day

Do not follow this advice. Cindy was referring to scum, not yellowing or water staining.

Dave

toecutter
04-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Oops, my apology. Mineral deposits and tannins stain my hull after an overnight or two on the dam - I just assumed that this would be the case on all dams and hence the same problem :-[

Bear001
04-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I will take a photo to clarify - thanks all for your input.

Whilst boat looks clean after a quick wash

this is the build-up Im talking about. Plus its getting a water stain from overnighters.
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/cindymeissner/hornet002Large.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/cindymeissner/hornet003Large.jpg

Bear001
05-02-2010, 10:43 AM
maybe I just need some wax and elbow grease?

Blackened
05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
maybe I just need some wax and elbow grease?

G'day

Try that first as it's the kindest method. Failing that, mix up some septone drifter if it is actual staining, it's a phosphoric based acid cleaner perfect for this. Follow the directions, and reseal it with a wax and you'll be right!

Dave

jighead
05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
G"day Bear001
I have a painted hull and find that after washing her down I then use a mixture of metho and water {50/50} to remove the scum. Use the mixture in a pump action bottle spray on wipe off and the metho wont affect the paint work

Cheers Mal