PDA

View Full Version : The time has come!

Kero
03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Well, the time has finally come... My boat needs a new transome.
It has just turned 20 so I suppose it is to be expected. I really love this boat, so I'm keen to keep it in good nick. If anyone else is contemplating the same sort of excercise, let me know and I'll keep you posted on the proceedings as they unfold. I'm hoping that all goes smoothly for the next few weeks.
In the meantime, I'll be climbing the walls at home, waiting to get out on the water again.8-)

dreemon
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
were you expecting to replace because of cracks, softness or for other reasons? hows your floor and I suppose you'll have to take a peek at the stringers too ,

Iv'e got a soft floor in the cuddy but the rest as far as I can tell seem really solid,

hope it goes all good for you with NO surprises,

Cheers

Kero
03-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Dreemon,
The floor feels good, but the transome is definitely soft. I can see movement when I move the motor up & down by hand. I've taken the drains (from the motor well) out and had a look/feel. There is definitley soft timber in there. I'm not really upset by the fact it needs doing (not thrilled either), but I'm excited that it's going to be back to new shortly. Hopefully no other surprises!

wilcara
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Leigh!

Hope it all goes well.

Kero
03-02-2010, 08:41 PM
G'day Chris (Aunty Wil ;D ),
That makes 2 of us.
Thanks mate!;)

Scalem
04-02-2010, 06:54 AM
I presume you are doing it yourself? I hate working with itchy glass, don't know how the professionals do it - which is partly the reason I had mine done professionally. Definetly worth doing in preference to buying another hull, which suited me at the time.

Scalem

Kero
04-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Scalem,
Nah... not doing it myself, I wouldn't know where to start!
I've done some research and shopping around. I have found a bloke north of Brisbane to look after it. The boat goes there on Monday.8-)

bigjimg
04-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I always allow for some surprises.If in the transom I would allow a 65% chance it is else where.Feels good when your wrong though.Hope all goes well.Jim

Kero
20-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Well, the old transom has been taken out & I got to go and have a look yesterday. Thankfully I will get away with just the transom being replaced. I was concerned about getting a call to say that my boat was buggered, but with that worry now behind me, all I have to do is wait :) .
Thankfully the weather has been less than perfect, it takes the edge off not being able to get out on the water. Mind you I'm still climbing the walls:D .
I was lucky in the fact that they have just finnished another Cruise Craft, so I got to see how the end product will look. I was really impressed with the result on the other boat.

Scalem
20-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Good news Leigh

I could never relax knowing the transom was suspicious, so once it is back on the water you will really enjoy boating again.

Keep an eye on the M&G section, you might bum a ride with another ausfisher while you boat is off the water, might keep you sane in the meantime.;)

Scalem

Kero
26-03-2010, 04:46 PM
She's done, well the transom anyway! I'm really happy with the work done and it looks great too. Next week the motor goes back on (just in time for Easter) and then I get to test it out... ye ha!;D