PDA

View Full Version : Camper trailer tent

robbo77
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Ive been looking at a camper trailer tent on ebay has anyone had anything to do with these??? They seem to look ok and real cheep but im unsure of there quality. Please help

dcoggo
03-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Hi, I looked around for a long time at camper trailers cheap and expensive. In the end in my opinion the best value camper was customline from beenleigh QLD. Instead of buying new we waited until a good second hand one came around and we bought it, had an awesome time at christmas. Just be careful with some of the cheaper ones on ebay as the quality may not be there and by the time you add all of the inclusions the price will get up there. Good luck

Heath
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Give Castle Campers a look.

Couldn't be happier with mine.

www.castlecampers.com.au

robbo77
03-02-2010, 07:15 PM
thanks. yeah i was looking at something i could take on and off my current trailer as i dont really want another trailer sitting around just another rego on top of all the others. do you know if they just sell the camper with out the trailer???

griz066
03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
My bro inlaw just bought the 6k ebay job ausie made trailer is good but the 14oz ripstop canvas is chinese junk the first bit of a blow over xmas and the eyelets are showing signs of tearing out, the fly is junk as well. I just bought a used one off ebay but it is all ausie made so good quality I believe. Its a built tough camper made in SA

http://www.builttough.com.au/camper.html

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=160188

Steve B
03-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Robbo,

I was going thru the same dillema about 2 months ago...I looked into these tents solo (no trailer) then getting an aussie built trailer.

EVERY trailer builder reckoned to steer clear of them. Aparrently the base is cheap ply, and the reinforcing steel frame under the ply and bed is weak, and needs more support. They also fold out the opposite to aussie ones (thats no big deal I spose)...but they often strike difficulties fitting them to their trailers. Poles are not as strong as HD ones with Aussie tents..ropes too. Not sure about the canvas and stitching, but I added up the 'extra changes' required to toughen one up a bit...and it worked out not much cheaper in the long run.....BUT this could just be marketing from the trailer co.

They certainly look good in the EBay pics...and at about $1800 or so, on an existing box trailer would be a good cheap option. I just got worried and paid for quality first time.

Cheers Steve

Heath
03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
yes they sell the bases only as well.

Took mine off when I used the trailer to go to Fraser.

3 blokes can lift it, 4 blokes do it easy.

thanks. yeah i was looking at something i could take on and off my current trailer as i dont really want another trailer sitting around just another rego on top of all the others. do you know if they just sell the camper with out the trailer???

dcoggo
04-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Roobo77 - mate they sell just the tent if you want and as I said really good set up and quality. Dean

Far side
05-02-2010, 07:25 AM
they are great untill it rains

Tunzafun
06-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Robbo,

Have alook at these guys page.

http://www.abetterlifestyle.com.au/

I bought one three years ago and havent looked back. Use at Inskip regularly and it has stood some mighty blows with comfort. We have the Deluxe light off-road model and it is easy towing, simple to erect, heavy canvas and great after sales service. Also replaced the foam mattress with a quality QS inner spring and it is just like sleeping at home :)

We decided on some minor modifications which thery incorporated when they built it. THey do hires so we took one for the weekend to see what suited our purposes and what things we would like to change. All tents are custom built and, by undoing a couple of bolts, it all comes off the trailer. I had a standard trailer tailgate made as well so that I can also use it just as a trailer.

Costs nothing to look and I am more than happy with it :)

hkconc
07-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I picked one from Grays online. Paid $4750 plus GST. They sell for around $7700 usually. I picked it up from Market Direct at Coopers Plains. I later found out that when they made the camper, the RHS under the camper didnt match the 7 x 4 trailer. I guess someone welded the RHS on the wrong side of the line. I just drilled out the panio hinges and moved it over 25mm, and presto, it seals perfectlly. It has a enclosed awning, tarp floor and sleeps 12. Good buying for around $5000

MEGA'bite
09-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Local bloke Brisbane ,dirks camper trailers/tops ph 0419888676 made with aussie canvas the right way. Custom to suit your needs. Have one of his and wouldnt look back, wags on the water has one as well, well worth the phone call.