PDA

View Full Version : Awoonga Deaming

Awoonga
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Maybe this should be in the reports section. But then again its only a dream ! Sunday it started. The rain that is. And as the totals increased so did my anticipation. 100 became 200 then 300.
As today unfolded the rain started to ease and the wind seemed to be blowing less or was it my mind playing tricks upon me.
Time to go for a drive up the Boyne valley check out Futter creek and the Boyne River .
First stop was a causeway with about a foot of water flowing across it
Was that a fish trying to get across the road Sure was ! l carried on. Futter was running quite nicely thank you. Its been at least three years since l saw that .
The Mighty Boyne river next on the list
Well it was once a mighty river until that wall was built to stop the flow to the sea .
So now it spills across the fields and becomes Lake Awoonga.
The lake of barramundi legends.
Where people come from far and wide to catch a legend..Its a place where dreams are made or shattered .Sorry l digress .
l talk to the very wet campers at the bush camp .They have nothing but tales of woe .

Time to return home and plan my own adventure.
Boat is hooked up lines, rods lures checked. But its still raining and the wind continues to blow.
l get asked the question Your not going out in that ?
Well tomorrow l have to be in Bundy.
Fishing the runoff only comes around maybe every five years. l reply l wont be long only a couple of hours. Lair pants on fire .She knows me well after thirty years of marriage.

Permission is given .But be bloody careful, Awoogee bound.Not a soul at the ramp How could this be ?
Maybe the rain and the wind has something to do with it..As l power away from the ramp l have a scare.
A rather large logadile try's to modify the skeeter.What did the old girl say ? be bloody careful.! For me there is only one place to head. Dude Ranch. or as its known when the fish are not on the chew Dud ranch.
As l bash my way through the wind, waves and rain l feel like l am the king of the castle in this wet wonderland .
This whole lake is mine all mine .
The area that l am fishing is just a fast flowing stream. No more than four meters wide .Timber on both sides .Somewhere where you don't take Skeeters !
The 24 volt Terrova is on power six. if l fall in l am history.Casting into the flow ahead of me waiting for the hit. It doesn't take long .The fight last all of 1.2 seconds. She treated me with distain. l cast again On. This fish is small about 70mm or so but powers toward the trees on the bank ....Gone. This trend continues until l finally get one to the boat.
After about 20 minutes of madness l take a breather and tie to one of the bankside trees and look on with amazement as barra after barra surge past me into the fast flowing stream. its getting dark time to end this madness The score ? Sorry l lost count its very hard to remember everything in a dream

BigChiefBarra
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
You lucky bugger. If only I had a skeeter to pound into that chop. Not game to take the tinny out just yet, but wait.

Those fish are going to love all that newly flooded country.

Cant wait to get at um.......

Gaz

BigChiefBarra
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
351 mm i heard for Calliope. Can picture those rapids now - flowing into the dam.

Obi _ Wan
02-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Very well written Trev, wish i was there with you, felt like i was.

Good stuff mate.

Cheers,
John.

NAGG
02-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Me thinks there is an element of truth in this dream ...... happy days Trev

Chris

DEANO68
03-02-2010, 06:30 AM
wakey , wakey hands off snakey..:P :P ...

Tropicaltrout
03-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Nice Trev

I reckon simular dreams are flooding the minds of many mate at the moment

but yours would have been 4D you lucky fella

Nath

BR65
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Cripes, Trev, almost poetic in the reading!
Im guessing that Dude Ranch is where you were telling me about up at M the other week?
Sounds like a great spot, enjoy the in-flow mate.

matt fraser
03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't know what to write to do that post justice? that was great writing, mesmerising! Inspirational stuff, fortune favours the brave!

Well done Trev!!

wheezer
03-02-2010, 10:22 AM
good to see we are not the only ones getting it...great stuff mate

Callop
03-02-2010, 11:47 AM
MAAAAGNIFICENT.
Although you are in the sh!t with my wife. She had to wake me up last night when I shouted "Get the net"
Dave

rc@hinze
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Didn't realize you were so eloquent with the keyboard Trev. You know they say dreams do come true.....good on you. - cheers Richard

Whitto
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
This is a side of you Trev we don't see at all........Eloquent Poetic Prose wordsmithed in such a fashion that without Photos we have infact been given a report.....Brilliant:D

BR65
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
........Eloquent Poetic Prose wordsmithed in such a fashion that without Photos we have infact been given a report.....Brilliant:D

Yep, a report with out giving a report, very well done.