PDA

View Full Version : what type of maps do you carry when offshore?

dinodog
02-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Hi Everyone.
A question about the maps or charts that you carry when offshore. This will probably have more to do with those in nsw, as the laws change for each state.

The current law states that you must have maps of the area that you intend to fish. The waterways maps that you can buy from waterways for about $6 each are good for a 3nm limit from the shore and a radius of 15nm from point of origin. If you have a look at those maps, it states it in red writing that this is the limit of these types of maps. If you travel further than 3nm offshore it says you must have one of those admiralty charts or Hydrology charts for the area you intend to fish.

Question, how many boats really carry one of the Hydrology or Admiralty charts for the area you are fishing? Do you carry charts at all? Have you been inspected by Waterways for the type of maps you are carrying onboard? The admiralty charts are about $35 each and I'm just wondering if everyone is carrying one or do you just use the waterways maps for $6.

Look forward to your replies. Heading to Coffs in a couple of weeks, do i need to get an admiralty chart for this area if I plan to go more than 3nm offshore?

cheers Dean

krazyfisher
02-02-2010, 06:08 AM
admiralty charts are the best to use and can also help finding some good fishing spots the cheap maps are just that cheap and I dont know how much they would help you if lost?? but as long as you have maps than it is legal. oh I have never been checked for maps ever

Hornet Rider
02-02-2010, 06:12 AM
dinodog,

my backup to the GPS/e-map if it goes down are laminated Australian Hydrographic Service charts, same as the RAN use. Store them rolled in PVC tube

Australian Hydrographic Service, 8 Station St, Wollongong NSW. 2500 (02-4221 8500) www.hydro.gov.au (http://www.hydro.gov.au) www.maritimeworld.net/sn.asp?PageNumber=182 ('Australian Hydrographic Service is responsible for the production and maintenance of navigational charts and associated products in Australia.')

Only been asked once by a delightful female Snr Const (Qld Water Police) to show what back-up nav/charts I had if the chart/plotter went down.

cheers, HR

rowanda
02-02-2010, 07:47 AM
yep, been asked for maps before off Port Stephens.
I have just the $6 type maps you are talking about. They were happy with that.
I keep them in a waterproof bag that the Maritime gave me on an inspection once.

dinodog
02-02-2010, 07:50 AM
yep, i have the $6 ones too, but I may need to get an admiralty chart too. Don't want the hassle of been asked for one and then not being able to produce it. cheers

rowanda
02-02-2010, 07:52 AM
give maritime a call and ask them?

Scott nthQld
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I just have the cheap one as well, though i don't go wide enough to require them anyway, just easier to keep them in the boat for the off chance that the weather might be just too good for me to ignore and I shoot out wide

Flex
02-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Even if you had a map, how many people here can honestly say that would be able to navigate from them?
Compass tells you which way home is, but what about actually navigating?

dinodog
03-02-2010, 06:48 AM
so true Flex, I'm no navigator so i just head west till i hit the coast.

lee8sec
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Always had correct admiralty chart when i was on the nsw central coast.In qld now, got a "beacon to beacon" for when i go to new areas & a maritime safety qld chart of hervey bay. Never been asked in either state. Leigh

PS: Laminated charts. I also carry a hand held GPS as backup / spare. Leigh

fatovich
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Same as HR, I have the laminated admiralty charts stored in a PVC tube, I use them for trip planning as they are heaps easier to read than a GPS screen if you have the room. I always carry a handheld GPS as well so navigating shouldn't be a problem if the main unit dies.

White Pointer
03-02-2010, 07:57 PM
G'day,

We might be spoilt up here in Queensland but Queensland Transport (MSQ) publish beacon to beacon which is handy for close to port, launching ramps, channel information and such as well as a complete range of coastal maps that see lots of us our to our favourite fishing spots well offshore. Their website also provides update information on channel closures, damaged marks, shifting sands, bridge construction hazards, etc. I have both MSQ and Naval charts and reckon the MSQ charts are more detailed and probably more up to date.

It's no good having a chart on board if you don't know how to use it. This means you need a parallel ruler to plot a course and some idea of how to judge the effect of wind and current. Some basic navigation skill is required as well as some local knowledge. I have practiced this running without GPS from Scarborough across to Bribie Island and also across to Moreton. It sounds easy because the destination can be seen but plotting a safe course to avoid sand banks and following it by compass brings those wind and current factors into play and they are not constants in either of these short crossings.

If you have charts because you have to have them, but don't know or remember how to use them, do a refresher course for a license and then practice what you learn until you are competent and then take it to sea and add in the two variables of wind and current and then practice that.

If that is all too hard put a back up GPS on your boat with separate wiring, power supply and antenna. If that sounds over the top. Consider what your life is worth and the lives on those on board. It's like the airbag in your car. It's insurance that you hope you never have to use.

I think I got off the point of the question. Sorry.

Regards,

White Pointer

clthere