PDA

View Full Version : Led trailer lights

marty+jojo
31-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Yesterday a mate and i replaced my trailer lights with leds.
I thought this was the way to go as i was always blowing bulbs and having bad contacts with the bulbs.
So we fitted the lights, they look the part and are way brighter than the old ones. The problem is, when the tail lights are on and i brake you can barely see any difference in them:-/ :-/ .
I am a not sure what to do.
Marty.

finga
31-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Just check your connections again making sure the clearance light goes to the clearance light and brake to brake.
Sounds like the wire to the trailer clearance lights are connected to the vehicle brake lights and vise versa .....ie your clearance lights and brake lights need to be swapped over.
Are your brake lights super bright when the clearance lights are not on??

Spaniard_King
31-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Check the earth circuit is up to scratch!!

Spin
31-01-2010, 10:32 AM
(tail lights are on and i brake you can barely see any difference)

You may have them wired wrong

(Brake light is on when you turn lights on) and when you hit the brakes taillight is coming on

thats what mine was doing.

Kero
31-01-2010, 03:41 PM
(tail lights are on and i brake you can barely see any difference)

You may have them wired wrong

(Brake light is on when you turn lights on) and when you hit the brakes taillight is coming on

thats what mine was doing.

You're on the money here!;)
Swap your tail & brake wires at the plug.

Hornet Rider
31-01-2010, 04:01 PM
marty+jojo,

you using a standard round 7 pin small? If so:

Pin 1 - Left indicator - Yellow
Pin 2 - Aux or reverse signal - Black
Pin 3 - Earth - White
Pin 4 - Right indicator - Green
Pin 5 - Electric brakes - Blue
Pin 6 - Stop light - Red
Pin 7 - Tail light, number plate light - Brown

wrxhoon
31-01-2010, 05:46 PM
As others have said you have conected them wrong . You have the brake light wire conected to the parking light .
Don't forget LEDS don't have built in reflectors so you need 2 reflectors at the rear.

Spin
31-01-2010, 07:48 PM
There is one other thing everybody knows im sure ?
Is that led lights have a mini circuit board on them
and have a positive and negative side.
not like a normal light bulb.
damage may result if ?

marty+jojo
01-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Double checked and triple checked everything twice over. All connections were striped, twisted, soldered and then covered in a heat shrink that lets out a silicone sealant when heated.
I have spoken with my mate that got the lights from his work, he is going to talk to his boss tomorrow. Looks like the LED's are dodgy, they are ADR approved (apparently), made in Taiwan.
Marty.

webbc
01-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I recently did the same but seem to blow the car fuse everytime I use the tail lights.
Have checked the wiring but still can't see a problem. Any suggestions?

wiz
02-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Webbc
Your tail light wire (brown) is short cct to eth somewhere, you will have to trace that wire out to check where the wire is touching the chasis. Also make sure the s/c is not in the plug. No 7 (Brown) s/c to No 3 (white)

PQQ1950
02-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't know if this applies in this case but I just tried putting LED lights on my trailer and found that my car won't allow it unless there is a resistor added into the circuit - according to an auto electrician. Something to do with whether the feed for the trailer socket comes from the lighting circuit or direct from the battery - if it's the latter then you've got problems. Apparently it can be tested by putting a straightened paper clip into sockets 6 & 7 and turning on the ignition. If an indicator comes on (without activating it) then you're okay. My car is 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander and the auto elec said that he has dozens of current model cars in with the same problem.
Phil

stickbender
02-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I have led lights on my trailer that are only 2 years old and are so called water proof but they have drain holes in the bottom of them and have stopped working I have checked to see if I have power to them right at the light and I have. But unable to pull the lights apart to check inside the lights so I have now gone to a light board I don't think that led lights are as good as they are made out tobe.

My question is if the led lights are water proof why do they have drain holes

bigjimg
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Brightlight Auto Parts or ledautolamps Autralian made up to 5yrs warranty.Don't go with cheap Sh#t Chinese or Taiwanese rip offs.PQQ1950 I read that go to Bright Lights Auto Parts and search ,you will find what you are looking for there.So far to date 6yrs and never had problems with LED lamps.Always submerged.The only problem i have had is when inexperienced mates wipeout street signs with the guard and destroy the clearance lights.Jim
.Jim

Donny Boy
02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
My question is if the led lights are water proof why do they have drain holes

Mate...those holes are to let the water IN..................;)

White Pointer
04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
G'day,

The earlier problems with blowing globes may be explained by the behaviour of the LED lights. Sounds like corrosion and shorts circuits at the trailer plug.

Time to see an auto electrician, I think.

Regards,

White Pointer

finga
05-02-2010, 06:09 AM
G'day,

The earlier problems with blowing globes may be explained by the behaviour of the LED lights. Sounds like corrosion and shorts circuits at the trailer plug.

Time to see an auto electrician, I think.

Regards,

White Pointer
And that could be explained by Spaniard Kings suggestion of crook earth.

marty+jojo
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Today we removed the new LED's and tested them on a battery, they worked fine:-/ , hmmmm. We fitted another set of Led's, these ones are larger and have 25 led's per indicator / brake light, we connected them up and they work;D .
We think the reason they were not working is because they only have 8 led's per lamp and it was not drawing enough amps from the car (VE Commodore) so the car was tripping out.
Relieved
Marty.

nicko233
06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
have just built new fully rollered trailer with leds witch have a five year warranty.the leds come pre wired with about 200 mm to a plug then another plug on 200mm of wire, witch i heat shrinked. then soldered and heat shrinked to the end of that wire then run forward to plug.