PDA

View Full Version : 9.5 kg handline cobia

trueblue
31-01-2010, 12:40 AM
just for the bloke who told me today that it is not possible to catch a cobia on a handline, I went out and did it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not comfortable, but lots of fun

cheers

Mick

SWANY22
31-01-2010, 07:00 AM
nice effort on a hand line he would of went hard id be happy with that on a rod.congratz swanny

stonecold
31-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Cant catch em on a handline?...jeez when I was growing up on the central coast thats all we use to use. 30lb hand line on a plastic caster. Sanpper, jew, kings, cobia, trag...actually nothing much you cant catch with the trusty old handline...not good for the fingers but when you get onto a goodun.

BayDog
31-01-2010, 09:03 AM
nice, whats with the photo, you ugly or something?

trueblue
31-01-2010, 09:15 AM
just some stuff blacked out

deepfried
31-01-2010, 09:29 AM

now thats cagey. you got drug shipment in there or something haha.

nice cobe btw.

trueblue
31-01-2010, 10:03 AM
nah, just catching cobes at work....................

good passtime when off duty

-spiro-
31-01-2010, 10:36 AM
another one bites the dust Mick........waitting for tomorrow 20 kilo hand jobby..lol

trueblue
31-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I've seen lots of big ones over here, but never landed one over about 18 kg's here

the snodgers that bust us up blow us away because they always manage to get the line wrapped around obstructions

finding_time
31-01-2010, 04:55 PM

You nude fishing again Mick??

Ian

Ps Have you tried floating a livie und a balloon a 100m out from the platform? Be interesting to see what you would hook? maybe even something with a stick on it's face;)

trueblue
31-01-2010, 05:19 PM
LOL, don't tell anyone Ian

I've seen sail fish here, free swimming and harassing bait schools, sail half out of the water etc. even saw a baby one a couple of years ago, no more than 3 feet long, perfect little miniature. Its only 70 to 90 m deep most places here so i don't think there would be any blues, but blacks would have to be around.

I have tried using baloons etc to get out away from the structure, but every time we have had a hookup is has been monstered, and then promptly busted off by the structure, or our anchor lines (we have multiple anchors on all corners, and each one is nearly a 3/4 of a mile long, so shallow for a long way out). nothing about the construction here is fishing friendly.

check out these bait schools................. beakies have to be somewhere!

cheers

Mick