PDA

View Full Version : '73 Chrysler 130hp - Fuel Problems

Eric03
30-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Currently going through the process of restoring a 5m Bertram-Caribbean runabout with a '73 Chrysler 130hp outboard on the back.

Whilst im pretty handy with a car, boat engines are completly new to me (luckily the chrysler doesnt look anywhere near as complicated as my old '95 evinrude).

Anyway... im asuming the part pictured below is an inline fuel filter?
A fuel line connects to it from the fuel tank and primer bulb... and on the other end two fuel lines go out to the 2 carbs.

Mine is leaking out from where the glass bulb pushes up into the rubber seals... so with every squeeze of the primer bulb, fuel overflows out the top/side.

Now im guessing its going to be pretty difficult to find an identical replacement part, especially one in good condition... is it possible to use some other universal fuel filter in its place?

Marlin_Mike
30-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Put it where all chryslers should be................. HArry Atkinson Artificial reef. Or the Curtin, then buy a new motor.

Hope DERM doesnt read that LOL

Mike

Chimo
30-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Have you checked the US web sites?

They probably still can get the stuff over there and a seal should be easy enough assuming the size isn't already available here which it could easily be.

Good luck with it, good to see old stuff still being used, i have a 73 Auto Celica and its being used as a daily driver at present as its A/C makes it attractive in our current weather.

Cheers
Chimo

STUIE63
30-01-2010, 06:31 PM
by rubber seals are they a specific seal or just an o-ring because an o-ring should be readily available
Stuie

davo
30-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm with the first idea. There's good reason why they are no longer made.

Catweb
30-01-2010, 06:41 PM
Good luck with it Eric. Once you get it going can I suggest you make sure you carry a spare dissycap, handful of spare HT leads and a set of points?

Steeler
30-01-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm with the first idea. There's good reason why they are no longer made.

What would that be ????????????.

Eric03
30-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Whilst a new engine would be great finances most certainly wont allow it (single income family with a 4 month old).

Thanks Chimo, actually didnt even occur to me to just try and replace the seal, will have to pull it apart and take it to a few shops. And nothing wrong with old stuff... i actually love the simplicity of this engine.

Stuie: Not an o-ring, but a very simple seal so i doubt it will be hard to find a suitable replacement.

Catweb: Actually pulled apart the dissy cap today and i already have to replace the HT leads. Is the whole dissycap assembly really that problematic?

Steeler
30-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Eric

Good on ya mate for seeing the potential in something with a bit of vintage about it.You are correct in that there is something appealing about the simplicity.

Chimo is 100% spot on regarding re-searching US sites for " helpful " info and sourcing parts. Don't know about your location but where i live there is a dealer with ample Chrysler bits both new and old but believe me he makes your eyes bleed with his pricing.

When i was coming in from a days fishing a couple of days ago there was a fella with one of the last of the Chryslers and i got to tell you the thing sounded and looked schmick.

Good luck with it all buddy.

Steve

DAVE_S
30-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Eric
Is it a rubber gasket or a cork gasket ? . Witch ever it would be quite easy to make a new gasket .

gone_fishing
30-01-2010, 07:38 PM
if its only a fuel filter /water trap
you should be able to by pass it and fit another water trap probably away from the motor ..not that ive ever seen a chysler set up. but if you can source a kit without a bank loan prob rebuild it
best to strip iy and see what is wrong first cheers

Angla
30-01-2010, 08:04 PM
My advice would be to find a good motor workshop manual that tells you what the parts are and will give disassembly and inspection as well as specifications to torque settings on bolts etc.

Keeping some spares sounds like a good start point too.

I ran a 78 evinrude for a couple of years and found it to be interesting at the least. It convinced me to buy a brand boat with a complete fit out of motor and electronics when I was able

Cheers
Chris

Eric03
30-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Dave_s: Its made of rubber, i was actually thinking the same thing whilst getting dinner. Ill prob attempt to make the seal first. It that fails ill just get an aftermarket filter.

Actually found a decent informative (US) forum... didnt actually realise Chrysler was forced to sell its outboard division which eventually became Force (or something along those lines).

Personal opinion with this engine (and most things mechanical) is provided all the mechanics are in good condition it should run strong... also have the extra advantage that theirs allot of experience and knowledge available.

Thanks everyone for the help, greatly appreciated ;D

Steeler
30-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Eric

Yep Chrysler made the mistake of not discriminating between there various product groups and as such it was the actual revenue from the marine sales that was carrying the automotive side of there business.

At one point Chrysler's sales of marine power were equal to any of the other leading manufactures in the states.

Keep us posted please with your progress and even some pics of the whole set up once done would be great.

Steve

Eric03
30-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks Steve. Once the whole project is complete ill post it all up.

I've just finished repairing rot in the floor (thankfully stringers were all fine). Next week its sanding and painting the top of the hull. Then just have to install some new carpet, rewire everything and get the motor up and running :-/
Should be an interesting few weeks ;D

Damned67
30-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Dave_s: Its made of rubber, i was actually thinking the same thing whilst getting dinner. Ill prob attempt to make the seal first. It that fails ill just get an aftermarket filter.

I'm sure you've thought of it already, but don't forget that the rubber you'll need to make the gasket will need to be fuel resistant.

And I'm all for the ol' Chryslers... Particularly the cars! That's my '67 Plymouth (a division of Chrysler) in my avatar. A stroked big block of course!
I'd tell you the displacement, but I'm sure the EPA would arrest me ;D

BM
30-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Eric,

Chrysler Marine were the record holders for the most hp per cubic inch of a normally aspirated engine for many years (probably still retain that title).

Chrysler engines were the cutting edge of technology and a Vice President of Mercury Marine in an email to me about 4 yrs ago admitted that there was "a lot to be said about the technology of those Chrysler engines".

And by the way, most Chrysler parts are still available today through Mercury. Brunswick Corp (Mercury's parent company) bought out Bayliner/US Marine, which in turn had bought out Chrysler Corp's Marine Division.

As was menitoned earlier, Chrysler's marine division was actually making very good money but it only represented approximately 2% of the company's "as a whole" income. Therefore, whilst its profits were great, they mattered not to a company going into receivership.

Chrysler Marine was only shut down because the US Government bail out agreement stated that all "neo-nate" business (ie: not the core automotive business) had to go and would not be supported by the Gov bailout.

Chrysler Marine was amoung the last "section" to be let go...

Cheers

Catweb
31-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Eric, I can only go on my experience. Many years ago had a mate who had a 75hp on a boat and I know cracks in dissy cap was an issue as were points. In the end he was just replacing them every 6 months to be safe after being caught out a couple of times.

Believe or not he he decided to change over the motor after about 4 years and guess what he bought? Yep a new 75hp Chrysler!! He loved it?!

big moose
03-02-2010, 07:13 AM
hey eric
I agree with bm most of your servicing parts will be available through quicksilver and not too badly priced. apart from them being butt ugly and heavy once they are going they are usually very reliable, at least my old sixty was
regds gary

WalrusLike
04-02-2010, 07:19 PM
I had a long leg little one on my sail boat 25 years ago. Maybe 15hp?

It was a classic... totally reliable to start, would run forever without hiccup, but couldn't stand to be throttled down to idle... died every time then wouldn't easily start.

It meant every anchorage was a first pass to look, second pass approach to certain point, down throttle on the off chance it would do so... it MIGHT work... then when it died, drift up to selected point, drop anchor, drift back to finish position.

It actually trains you to anchor correctly... you must lay anchor and chain correctly first time because you wouldnt get a chance to dig it in or redo... :)

Same thing for approaching mooring.... :)