PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions???

PinHead
30-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I will be looking for a GPS/sounder combo in the very near future.
Must be colour and must have internal GPS antenna..any suggestions?

frankgrimes
30-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Screen size and budget?

PinHead
31-01-2010, 07:49 AM
nothing over the top..only putting it in a tinny.

ozbee
31-01-2010, 09:48 AM
out of interest many dealerships are now fitting external gps on the side be it CC OR NOT.. while the inside of the gunnel may seem odd my engineering telecommunications son says the reason it works is gps signals are a rounded swirl pattern and also being close to the equator you have a large cone of satellites to connect to . i find it hard to accept but many tinnies are doing it up here because of the limited places to fix to.

Grand_Marlin
31-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Personally, I would choose either the Lowrance HDS or a Raymarine A series.

Both waterproof, both internal aerials work exceptionally well.

Raymarine is a lot more expensive - add an extra $1000 per unit as compared to the Lowrance.

Do you like your existing Humminbird unit for quality of picture and ease of use?

Cheers

Pete

PinHead
31-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Both the Humminbird and the Navman were easy enough to use Pete. The Humminbird screen was better for pic quality than the Navman

bugman
31-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Greg,

I run a Lowrance 757 internal antenna combo unit in my brooker Greg. Run it off a little ram from the plate where your tacho will be. I assume you've got a similar set-up to mine. The 757 has been replaced by the HDS system now.

Bear in mind that your unit will get wet, either from spray or condensation as it will have direct sunlight. Open boats are fun aren't they. It also needs to be easy to get on and off as I take mine out always when not using a lot. If I'm using it again tomorrow or later that night I've set up the ram arm so it can fold down and under the gunnels and be a little protected.

Did you go the wide gunnels? They are handy.

Probably doesn't help your selection much but just a few things to bear in mind.

Brett

Malcolm W
31-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Standard Horizon CPF 180i GPS/Sounder combo, 5 inch screen, 600 watt sounder, takes a C-Map card.
$477 + shipping (approx $70) US and a 3 year warranty.
Only downside is the pixels are average until you get up to the CPF 300.

I bought the GPS only from fishon Marine.

PinHead
31-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Brett..yes ..it has the wide gunwhales..no tacho..just getting a tiller steer...can soon make up a bracket to support or swivel it.