PDA

View Full Version : pro's and con's of centre console

gone_fishing
30-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Opinions and experince of the pro's ans con's of a centre console against a runabout around the 5m mark ..
going to be used in a varity of places creeks to open water
cheers

cormorant
30-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Pro - no need to wash blood off decks as they are so wet you just take em for a run to wash.

Con - Knee surgery happens earlier but can put off back surgery for a few years but you see a lot more surface action standing and also all the debri in the water

Love the bigger ones that are dry but in small ones I have been very wet passenger but they do have great access around the boat when hooked up. They are fishing friendly but not family friendly in the small sizes and need to be well set out to keep radios etc dry

wags on the water
30-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Pros - great for chasing fish around the boat either at anchor or drifting.

Cons - you can only hide 1 person behind the screen in winter when flying around the bay.

There are times when I wish I still had my center console, then times where I'm happy to have a 1/4 or 1/2 cabin.
Center consoles aren't really considered a family boat, so choose a boat that will fit your purpose.

Cheers,
Wags

Hornet Rider
30-01-2010, 10:08 AM
gone_fishing,

I'd second cormorant's comments. Have a 5m cc & unless it's a glassy day everyone on board is going to get wet to varying degrees if you want to maintain a reasonable speed underway, otherwise to stay dry or less wet which ever, you may have to just plod along, which can be time consuming & impractical. The width & height of the console & whether it's fitted with a perspex shield or not determines how wet you might get, subject to sea conditions & your speed underway. I'd avoid tinted or coloured shields if you intend to get one - clear is the most useful in low visibility or night.

Pros - good all round vision for safety & situational awareness for the skipper & passengers which is a big plus in marginal weather, chop and reduced visibility & night. Excellent fishing platform for 360 degree access, if there's no bimini rails attached to the side decks. A T-top with supports anchored to the console sides is a workable arrangement. Overall, a cc can be set-up as an efficient and effective work platform for trolling, bottom bashing, crab potting, movement around the boat when underway or at stop.

Cons - wet more often then not

but they are a lot of fun....after my cc I'm getting a Whittley Cruisemaster::)

cheers, HR

screaming reels
30-01-2010, 10:11 AM
G'day gone fishing, c/c usually have a better ride by console being further midship, easier at ramps and to fish from also for anchoring, seems to add to the thrill more standing up behind a console and driving a boat plus they are great if doing mostly day fishing, but have had a few times the decks completly washed down so you must have your gear stored correctly. runabouts ride not as good sitting on the bow and driving in wind chop, better wind protection when sitting at anchor,canopy set ups can be easier(cheaper) to have with side curtains for better wind and weather protection, fishability is usually quite good aswell, anchoring can be a hassle if having to get up onto the bow in some good chop definantly want bow rails, but alot can vary on types, sizes, materials and makes etc cheers brent

Flex
30-01-2010, 12:50 PM
a 5m cc will have more fishing room than a 7m half cab.

Also, if your an avid lure caster or like drifting reef edges with plastics or snags in creeks etc. Then a CC is miles infront. Almost impossible to do effectively with a half cab.
Anchoring is heaps easier in a CC aswell.

If your a hardcore fisherman, that likes to fish with a few others, a CC is best.(I've tried fishing 4 out of a 2400Kevlacat half cab and it was a nightmare with line tangles!) 4 blokes spinning for pelagics is also impossible in a halfcab.

If you like being on the water with the family and fish a bit aswell, then a halfcab is better.

STUIE63
30-01-2010, 01:20 PM
as the other boys have said
pros - all that fishing room
ease of anchoring and moving about the boat
cons - exposed to the weather
Stuie

Marlin_Mike
30-01-2010, 04:10 PM
gone_fishing,

but they are a lot of fun....after my cc I'm getting a Whittley Cruisemaster::)

cheers, HR

You buying a Collins Class Submarine HR :P ;) ...........i mean a Whittley??????????????;D ;D

Mike

NAGG
30-01-2010, 04:48 PM
If you want a fishing platform ...... there is simply no better configuration ( center cab :P) .
A well set up CC ..... is just a pleasure to fish out of ! ...... tonnes of space / easy anchoring / visibility .

As mentioned the downside is that they can be wet when riding in a cross wind ( though with some thought and good console / screen design they can be made drier and able to keep electronics / valuable dry ).
Exposure to the sun ( solved with a T Top)
They really aren't a family boat .

Chris

ozbee
30-01-2010, 05:24 PM
most people own one in there life time but never two .

GBC
30-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Speak for yourself - I'm on my 3rd and have had cabin boats in between - I just keep coming back.

5m runabout nice for cold rainy winter's night down the pin, and will not compare with a cc anywhere else.

The ability to stand and move to trim a 5m boat whilst underway is very important.

Punched my 5.4m cc out to and home from Hutchies in that SE blow this morning no worries, and was thinking about being in a seat 3ft forward and off to one side (ouch).

If inshore is more your go, then a runabout is good.

If you tear around after pelagics in summer then head offshore during winter, then get a centre console and a spray jacket.

Catweb
30-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I have had 2. Both Stacers, 525 and 444. The 444 was a better riding boat than the 525. Bit narrower, and did not seem to want to broach as much.

Both hellishin' wet though. But I was young and stupid....

Now I never go out unless I am behind a high screen and front and side clears. Got soft in my oldness.

Catweb
30-01-2010, 06:33 PM
GBC, you are up North aren't you? I can tell....

Black_Rat
30-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Pro's

More fishing room and room for eskys/tackle boxes
Easy to fight fish by moving around the boat
More room for the deckies to spead there crap around ;D
Better allround visabilaty
Easier acces to the anchor
Easier to fish 4 on board 2 back 2 up front

Con's

No escape from the elements Sun, rain, wind only for the skipper in winter ;D
All electronics/gear are exposed to the elements
Overnighter trips not possible unless perfect weather
Having to stand up on long trips (especially hard on the knees and back in Moreton Bay 2 ft chop ;D )
Can be wet in the wrong wind conditions (although a certain 685 CC was a bit wet once :P )

I'd happily own a C/C for day trips but for overnighters/extended trips a 1/2 cab would be the way to go

Damo

frankgrimes
30-01-2010, 07:32 PM
GBC, you are up North aren't you? I can tell....

edit - saw your from SA

Mick

FNQCairns
30-01-2010, 07:59 PM
Unless really big or really small I like the rear CC best, will be quite wet if pushing it but the ride is exquisite! almost like a tiller steer but better because your standing.

CC not the best for the family or little ones, will take more water over the bow if driven badly than a cabin.

Wouldn't like to own one if it got rough or rainy and the hottest part of the day was less than 20deg but I have in the past.

cheers fnq

GBC
30-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah, Brissy Catweb.

Funny you should mention stacers - I had a Stacer seamaster 4.76 (or something). Holy mother of God was that thing wet and uncomfortable.
But I got it cheap though ;).

cormorant
30-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Get one that was designed as a CC . Plenty get modified and the floors and mountings are never strong enough and are always a problem. Saying that some from the factory wouldn't want my weight hanging on to the CC

The other con is if they don't have a selfdraining deck ( won't in that size ) but the stabi goes close) then when you get one over the bow it all comes in and can very easily capsize. Make sure water can get to the back as you don't want them nose heave for teh next swell

Hint big bilge pumps and keep the nose up and use the better vision to time the swells as it is scary with 20cm or water around your ankles. Mount battery for bilge high .

Think seriously about above deck storage options, fold down targa with rod holders as you tend to have passengers grab for cc and get a rod - that gets expensive

Steering - cable need to be run on tight radius turns in CC ( well a lot of em) and they don't last as long - expensive in a small boat to go hydraulic

Due to wetness all electrics, harness for motor , batteries everything really does get a hard time.

Had fun in em and loved them but like others the fun wore off especially for passengers

Marlin_Mike
30-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Had my CC for 4 years. For fishing wouldnt have any other style. Wet? Half the fun of going fishing

MIke

Matt_F
30-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Getting wet is a definite down side to a CC and any open boat for that matter. But what is wrong with having clears that role down half or all the way to the deck from a targa canopy? That's what I'm planning for my next rig. That with a wide enough wind screen and there should be plenty of shelter.

Matt.

deckie
31-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Dont like CC's much at all. The only advantage i've seen in 5m CC's is the better access forward but u cop downside for this. Never found that to make up for the lack of comfort/ride. Maybe just me but they always seem to slap and jump about off even small chop.... and in most of the 5m ones it doesnt take much slop and breeze to send half the ocean into your face so i've always steered clear of them.
As far as runabouts go i am biased because i truly hate 99% of boat seats and 5m runabouts in particular give me the uno wots. Cant really drive standing up without being a pain and cant see a damn thing ...so u end up plonking your bum on the top of the seats in most of them but at least there's a windscreen.

Best boat around 5m for my money has always been a well designed cuddy type arrangement with a nice high front and a stand up drive position. Who the heck wants to sit down to drive anyway...all boat seats are a pain till you;re up into 6m+ rigs. More storage, versatility plus seem much dryer tho there are still wet boats in the same arrangement. Easy to fit a bimini/hardtop at a good stand up height and u also get somewhere to have a snooze.
No surprise the modern glass builders have this as the basis of most designs around the 4.7-5.5m range...they dont use the word cuddy much these days but they're based on that principle...small/med cabin + high front stand to drive. It just works well.
Mind you i hate boat seats so much i'll rip out brand new pedestal seats from a 5.5m glass boat anyway if they're a pain to stand in front of. If they dont collapse i dont want them at all.

I reckon around 5m:
CC....Bream/Flatty Boat
Cuddy....Snapper/Kingfish Boat
Runaboat....Ski boat ;D

Axl
31-01-2010, 05:22 AM
[quote=Marlin_Mike;1125225]Had my CC for 4 years. For fishing wouldnt have any other style. Wet? Half the fun of going fishing

Marlin_Mike you hit the nail right on the head mate.

MackerelMan
31-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Like mentioned above it depends on what you do, what you like and probably what your mates fish out of. I have a 5.5 Run about. Modern, larger RA's are much more than "ski boats". They are basically all deck space and are great to fish from, just as good as a CC in my opinion. Depending on Bimini's etc you can fight fish (with a rod that is) right around but if anchored the rope is a problem, same as any boat. The small forward wind screen provides a surprising amount of protection. I have a bimini and clears as well but rarely use the clears. It is no fun to be in during a storm but neither is a CC. Granted the helm is at the rough end but the kids are on the hinge and happy. I only drive standing so chop does not bother me. I regularly over night on mine, just like swagging it really. RA's may not have as much storage as some but mine seems to have enough that it accumulates all sort of useless cr-p. I river fish, bottom bounce the reef, troll for pelagics and hit the Islands for picnics with the kids in mine. I am happy to go as far off shore as the conditions and fuel allow.

So my boat suits what I do. Not perfectly but good enough. I am not for one minute suggesting a RA is for you but they are much more versatile than suggested. If you are considering a CC, think about what each offers you.

Ninja
31-01-2010, 09:55 AM
<P>I think the wrong question is being asked. I would take a <U>well setup</U> and designed CC over a cabin any day as with thought the cc downsides can be drastically reduced but it's hard to improve on the cabin downsides eg. space. I have owned from cabin to runabouts to open tinnies but have now gone back to and will stick with CC. Giving Hooker boats a wrap......their 6.7 CC is seriously dryer then most half cabs. A few from the site have fish on it and would like to see their comments. A custom roof and huge forward eskie which turns into kids containment area keeps the family happy. Seating everywhere but full room to fight 360'. It is not a bedroom on the water but I go fishing to be part of nature....not hide from it. If that means sleeping on the floor and copping a rain at times.....then that's what it takes. It is ideally used from chasing marlin off the shelf to bream in the canals.
Join the club mate:)

Catweb
31-01-2010, 10:28 AM
The main attraction for me about a C/C was the fact I could drive the boat from a centre postion. Very important when fishing one out and you weigh over 110 kgs!!

cormorant
31-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Getting wet is a definite down side to a CC and any open boat for that matter. But what is wrong with having clears that role down half or all the way to the deck from a targa canopy? That's what I'm planning for my next rig. That with a wide enough wind screen and there should be plenty of shelter.

Matt.

The only downside in a 5.5m boat is all the windage and depending where the CC is mounted you can end up with the boat veering at anchor anfd always drifting odd angles if you don't have a properly positioned drogue out. The CC acts like a sail the more covers , hardtop etc it has on it.

A t-top in 5m boat can catch a lot of wind from the side and off the top of waves and it being 7 foot above water has a lot of leverage on what is usually a thin beam - bit of care needed in lots of gusty wind but you get use to the way it reacts. More angle more of a sail. Nearly needed trim tabs on a mates with the clears up even with my fat bum on the windward gunnel

Clears and infills on a small CC and position of the CC in the boat or other storage does as well as for the weight distrubution of batteries and fuel tanks

After owning boats with glass it wold take a lot to go back to clears for me as I hate not being able to see especially in busty seaways when it chops up. I must be getting old!!

Definately test ride a couple with full and empty tanks as trim can only do so much

A lot of the issues come down to the weight of teh rig. Some CC plates ride well , have enough beam and other don't.

Part of the fatigue with a CC is that we used to travel faster as we could read the water better standing up so we got places faster but got wet so I can suggest a quality sailing offshore jacket for when on the move . Travelling faster means a lot harder ride for knees and everything in the boat especially what passangers hold onto. If passengers and family don't have safe hanholds and a bit iof protection fast travel can wear them down fast as we found with friends kids- tried to get em to stand tight between us at the console if running fast.

Solo fishing and the safety of anchoring may be a bit overstated offshore as we found in a smaller CC that the fat bloke in the bow to set the anchor made it nose down and in chop and wet

We used the clear kayak wet bags ( you could see if phone had messages through teh bag) for all wallets , keys and phones as they were the only things that worked, salt mist all the time kills phones in a pocket faster than water splashes I reckon.

A few custom set ups have done fold out wings on the CC so when on the move it gives more protection as it is teh misting fron the side spray that used to soak us in a cross wind. same spray in a cuddy you are just further forward I guess so miss half of it.

I like them but would want to pick my days and where to fish for my own comfort as I must be getting soft and remember just how sore we were the next day after a long hammer home. Yeah yeah -I'll take a cup of cement and harden up !!!

Ah well all boats have pros and cons

Hornet Rider
31-01-2010, 11:51 AM
You buying a Collins Class Submarine HR :P ;) ...........i mean a Whittley??????????????;D ;D

Mike

lmao Mike - yes, it's my next boat, I've been bashed around enough chasing fish that I thought I could catch, but didn't. Grey hair is getting more grey, need a boat that I can get away from the rat race in for a few days/nights, with a bit of comfort & pretend I'm in control of my world ;D

cheers, HR

Matt_F
31-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Some informative comments there Cormorant and some good food for thought. Thanks for that.

You get mobile phone reception when you go fishing? Man you got to get out of the metro areas...... The fishing is usually a lot better in my experience.

Thanks again,
Matt.

cormorant
31-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Some informative comments there Cormorant and some good food for thought. Thanks for that.

You get mobile phone reception when you go fishing? Man you got to get out of the metro areas...... The fishing is usually a lot better in my experience.

Thanks again,
Matt.

Ahh you don't get it - That is my second office desk and when working from "home " need to be in contact for that special hour of early knock off!!!! Shsss but I know what you mean. Silly me with telstra means I gets reception where others don't as well except when it is turned oFF!!!!!!!!

Hornet Rider
31-01-2010, 01:15 PM
someone mentioned hydraulic steering in an earlier post and fatigue was also mentioned, and one of the biggest cons I find is fatigue from cable steering. My cable steer makes 6 separate turns from helm to motor & runs thru a pvc conduit along the centre of the boat under the floor. In a medium to heavy sea, with any cross wind I find I am working consistently hard at the helm. Last trip to hutchies & out to the 80m line from Bribie showed 5.2hr on the trip meter for a 12hr day of fishing. Glad my two sons were onboard to take over from time to time. Convinced me to shout myself hydraulic steering - just looking around now for the set-up I want.

cheers, HR

cormorant
31-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Hornet

The newer teflon cables make a huge difference and worth a try if you haven't already as they are cheaper and save teh hassle of new instalation. They have a tighter radius tutn ability and wear less as they age and of course rerouting it if you can is better.

With all stuff under the decks and lots of water even slight damage on steering and electrical leads to quicker failure

Hornet Rider
31-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Hornet

The newer teflon cables make a huge difference and worth a try if you haven't already as they are cheaper and save teh hassle of new instalation. They have a tighter radius tutn ability and wear less as they age and of course rerouting it if you can is better.

With all stuff under the decks and lots of water even slight damage on steering and electrical leads to quicker failure

cormorant,

Thanks for that, & it's always in the back of my mind about water damage of elec harness, cables etc under the floor. The are all run thru a pvc tube from aft to the console & are reasonably protected from water under the floor. Replaced the floor Dec 07 & rewired everything so they should be in reasonable shape but intend to replace the ply floor with ally & re-foam under the floor. That's when I was planning to fit the hydraulic steering. Was unaware of teflon steering cable - mine has a genuine 1998 Johno steering cable. Makes the helm gears work hard with those 6 separate bends from helm to motor, small bends, but bends just the same, so not straight. My biggest concern was stripping the helm gears when outside, could always get a tow in but don't want to deliberately rely on that option.

cheers, HR

Lovey80
01-02-2010, 04:08 AM
Who says you can't get out of the elements in a centre console ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Won't beat the ride either... this is a 4.3m I bet the 4.9 would be a cracker!;)

cormorant
01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
If the steering is that heavy it may be worth checking your trim tab behind the prop as small changes make a huge difference on weight of steering at cruise. Takes a lot os stress off the cable and helm as well. Check motor is moving freely as you may also have stiff pivot bearings when under load?

All easy to check before you hand over any $

suzygs1000
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Current boat is 5.8CC.

Three years old, and first CC.

Has a 3m x 2m bimini (or whatever they're called) fitted, so sun no probs even in the tropics.

Great ride from further towards the stern then all my previous runabouts and cc's.

Not all CC's are wet boats, mine certainly isn't.

Great access to anchor well.

Twice as much fishing room as other styles for a given size.

The only con's are that they're not really a family overniter, altho I do sleep in mine up the front on occasions.

Luv em, never own any other sort, unless of course, it's a Bertram 25!!

Dave.

devendiva
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
My current boat is a 6.3 meter centre console. The console on it is about 1200 wide. So there is plenty of room behind it for two or three adults. It has a cockpit length hardtop too. It is also a very dry boat. My last boat was a 6.25 meter cuddy cabin. This new one has so much more space than the cuddy its not funny. Took myself and 4 other guys (5 all up) 65 Nm offshore a few weeks ago for its maiden voyage and we had room to burn. Could have easily fitted another couple of fisherman with ease. With the old boat, we were constantly tripping over each other and eskies etc., all packed into the little cockpit when there was another half a boats length in the cabin that was useful for storing gear but that's about it.

So I think it definitely depends on the particular boat, rather than CC vs Cuddy cabin etc.

BTW, not that I have fitted them, but I could easily put clears on the CC also, and it would offer every bit as much weather protection as an cabin boat.

Cheers

Chris

Pretzil
01-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Con: Most centre consoles about that size seem to have a step up towards the front that you will fall over or kick when fighting a fish around the boat.

Pro: You can actually fight a fish around the boat if you need to.

Hornet Rider
02-02-2010, 05:53 AM
If the steering is that heavy it may be worth checking your trim tab behind the prop as small changes make a huge difference on weight of steering at cruise. Takes a lot os stress off the cable and helm as well. Check motor is moving freely as you may also have stiff pivot bearings when under load?

All easy to check before you hand over any $

cormorant,

I hear what you're saying & appreciate your thought process - prop trim tab was fine tuned almost to the point of distraction when I raised the motor. I use the mini grease gun (marine grease) on the vertical pivot nipple after each outing - as a cross check when the steering cable is disconnected the motor swings freely

cheers, HR

nickstock
02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
<P>I think the wrong question is being asked. I would take a <U>well setup</U> and designed CC over a cabin any day as with thought the cc downsides can be drastically reduced but it's hard to improve on the cabin downsides eg. space. I have owned from cabin to runabouts to open tinnies but have now gone back to and will stick with CC. Giving Hooker boats a wrap......their 6.7 CC is seriously dryer then most half cabs. A few from the site have fish on it and would like to see their comments.

Ninja,
The 6.7 Hookers are a sexy bit of gear. Pure sports fishing porn!;D

I have owned 5 boats of completely different styles in the last 3 years that I have lived back up in Far North Queensland. The best all rounder that I have had was a 5.1 meter Javelin.

I have come to the conclusion that all boats are a comprimise and you need to find a boat that will cover MOST options in the best way to suit your fishing.

In my situation (no kids, fishing solo often) an ideal boat for me needs to be under 55K brand new, fast, dry (dry enough anyway) oodles of under floor storage, huge fuel capacity, large kill pens and full walk around capabillities.....................

In my situation, only one FACTORY boat tick all of those boxes, Hooker 6 meter Pro fisherman with 140 Suzi.

If I was to buy second hand I would be looking at a Hooker 6 meter Pro fisher or a 542 Signature like GBC's from this site. You should be able to pick both up for under 35K and will run rings around most similar sized boats.

Cheers,
Nick

business class
02-02-2010, 08:27 AM
C/C are a good boat to fish out off no doubt, but in my opinion you cant beat the Cabin boats when looking for a boat over 6m...... Under 6m the cabin boats have little room unless you chase a multihull...... Above 6m cabins are the way to go, for lack of room in a cabin boat you obviously have not seen a decent 6m cabin boat.... plenty of room to fish 4 people even when chasing the anchor rope lovers(mackrel) Yes harder to get the anchor but a anchor yanker fixes that in 2 seconds. In bad weather a C/C your drenched or your deckies are, limited to day trips only unless you are a fish and water doesnt worry you, Now if it gets rough and u need to use your tabs to keep nose down and your in a C/C you might as well jump in the water, all your electronics are open to weather, and also all your tackle unless u have a great dry strogae compartment. For pros about them yes they are good to run around the boat and i have hurd the hookers are awesome but you barely need to run around the boat unless anchored and chaseing mackrel, and even then its not often. The faults about a cabin boat is you need a decent car tow with........ So my opinion is a 1/4 cab or half cab is the best choice out of these two boats.

Cheers
Matty

chop duster
02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
You can generally fish 1 or 2 more people on a centre console then a cabin boat.

The step up at the front is a 'Gee-up'. You get used to it and don't even notice it is there. The yanks seem to have real issues with it, but unless your a fool, you only kick it once ;-)

When the weather gets bad, it deffinently is a major plus to have that cabin to part the green ones. Have turned our 7.4m CC into a giant spoon a couple of times, when the seas are right.

For cold climates, I would think the +'s for the cabin far outway the +'s for the CC. Up here in the tropics the table is turned I think, apart from when a rain sqaull comes thru....

Malcolm W
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
CCs do have distinct pros and cons probably more than most other configurations.

The seating position, ride, ease of anchoring (keen diver) and being able to fish 3-4 from the same side in a 5.6m boat are the main things I like about mine.

Yes it can get wet but its a trade off for a good back.

Wife hates it.

You dont have as much protection from the sun in a lot of CCs. Make sure your electronics are well protected and shaded as its a pain looking at a sounder in direct sunlight.

The other thing i have noticed is my CC drifts slower than my mates 5.5 forward cab, as the forward cab acts a big sail. If both boats have sea anchors out he races past me. In my area a slower drift bottom bouncing means more fish.

business class
02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
CCs do have distinct pros and cons probably more than most other configurations.

The seating position, ride, ease of anchoring (keen diver) and being able to fish 3-4 from the same side in a 5.6m boat are the main things I like about mine.

Yes it can get wet but its a trade off for a good back.

Wife hates it.

You dont have as much protection from the sun in a lot of CCs. Make sure your electronics are well protected and shaded as its a pain looking at a sounder in direct sunlight.

The other thing i have noticed is my CC drifts slower than my mates 5.5 forward cab, as the forward cab acts a big sail. If both boats have sea anchors out he races past me. In my area a slower drift bottom bouncing means more fish.

tell ur mate to get the next size up sea anchor;) . As for 4 people one side in a Centre console, is it calm water as in a sea you would nearly role in swell.......:-[ Ride:o i dont understand why people are sayin C/C ride better:-/ They must be terible cabin boats u guys go in:-/ . Up north yeah the C/C for the heat i guess.
But what about overnighters or the poor crew in a crap day;D . Not haven a go at you at all just dont understand your post.......

samson
02-02-2010, 04:08 PM
If you want a fishing boat you go a centre concole if you want some where to shag the missus go a cabin but i guess if you get a half cab you can shag and fish at the same time.

Malcolm W
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
tell ur mate to get the next size up sea anchor;) . As for 4 people one side in a Centre console, is it calm water as in a sea you would nearly role in swell.......:-[

4 people fish out of one side, not over one side, they can fish from mostly the centre but evenly spaced out of one side.

Ride:o i dont understand why people are sayin C/C ride better:-/ They must be terible cabin boats u guys go in:-/ .

Simply that the front of a boat moves further up and down. if you sit at the fulcrum of a see saw you hardly move, on the outside you you move up and down heaps. The rear of the boat tends to be the fulcrum.

Up north yeah the C/C for the heat i guess.
But what about overnighters or the poor crew in a crap day;D .

Yep, crap protection for the winter.

Not haven a go at you at all just dont understand your post.......

Thats ok just giving the reasons what I like and dislike about CC. I do agree a quality cabin boat is probably a better boat for most. :)

supa29
02-02-2010, 07:06 PM
dont listen to them mate had both half cab and centre consuls and i can tell you with out a doubt the CC has miles of more positives. i have a 6.5m allycraft CC with twin 50 4 strokes, i would suggest anyone getting a larger CC to look at twin motors i know it cost abit more but the ride is awesome with very little roll and great stability when traveling. i have put clears in front of the console and half blue and half clear sides that i can put up in weather so i got the best of both worlds. half cab when needed and CC when chasing billfish and casting for tuna. Dont let the fact of wet CC get to you, it makes up for it in practical fishing room.

kel....

Marlin_Mike
02-02-2010, 07:27 PM
If you want a fishing boat you go a centre concole if you want some where to shag the missus go a cabin but i guess if you get a half cab you can shag and fish at the same time.

Umm.......yeah.............well.........yeah ummm...........nicely put samson ;D :P ;)

Mike

FNQCairns
02-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Lower centre of gravity does make for a better boat, I dont think they ride better from the hulls point of view but the further back the steering/standing position the better the ride for the driver...that's a given as long as the hull can still be trimmed properly and the driver doesn't decide to just go that bit faster because he can compared the an identical hulled cabin boat, i am guilty of this sometimes in my boat.

cheers fnq

business class
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM

You must own a centre console i take it, especially considering u are a pro......... Have you ever thought of getting a cab:-X :-X or thats right you got one:P ;) ;D .

he he he he
Cheers
Matty

hakuna
03-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Split the difference, look at a centre or island cab. If designed correct then you can have the best of both worlds. I have had both and now a centre cab for me is better than either the half/ cuddie cab or the cc. Misses is happy too.

cheers

gone_fishing
16-02-2010, 08:23 AM
thanks all for the great options in both directions .......after doing a bit of leg work and a few test runs im startining to lean towards a cuddy cabin ...mainly for the shelter ..so its back to the start of the search again
cheers again

ospery888
16-02-2010, 10:06 AM
hi , as supa29 says they are great for fishing just bought a new 5.4 mtr allyplate cc take it to the hards a lot ,you be suprised how dry this boat is ,unless its blowing 20 plus knots of you quarters when coming back but take one for a run if you can mike

Snapper88
15-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I'll take a centre anytime

TJ Bear
15-03-2010, 06:28 PM
If fishing is your thing than its a CC every time unless you live in Tassie of course, in SEQ or futher north its a no brainer for a sports fishing boat.

Horse
16-03-2010, 07:15 AM
It all depends on how you fish. As a 5m or so sportsfishing platform in the SEQ area there is no doubt in my mind that a CC ticks a lot more boxes. If you are the sort of guy who doesn't like a slash of water in the face every now and then you should look for more shelter but be aware that it impacts on flexibility and functionality. My CC is at home up a creek as it is offshore. If you are into chucking slugs at pelagics or lure casting then there is only one choice

MattyDucati
16-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Centre consoles are great allrounders, Cab boats are great blue water fishing boats. If you have young kids you might be better off with the cab boats.
I have a quiny 6.2 CC and its a great fishing platform, the 1year old dont like the wind blowing when were on the move the 2 year old dont fancy it ether. cant take the family over night but its a awesome fish boat:)

TJ Bear
16-03-2010, 02:16 PM
The fact that the wife and kids don't like is a huge advantage, get some piece and quite. Lucky the wife does not read the forum :-)

bert
16-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I have just bought a bluefin wrangler 4.75 m cc the console is mounted at the rear so hopefully it will be a bit drier.Have not had it out yet so heres hoping.

soates
16-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Have you thought about a bow rider or twin conole set up (keeps the mrs happy when they come out). I have had CC, open tinny, Pollycraft front runner and quintrex bowrider. For all round use bowrider is great for good fishing, is dry, esp with front/side clears, easy to handle. Depends on your ind needs. good luck