PDA

View Full Version : handline cobe

trueblue
29-01-2010, 11:49 PM
scored a smallish but well over legal sized cobe on a handline tonight, maybe around 6 kg's, didn't weight it

only rates a mention from being caught on a handline, and went like a cut snake - got sore hands and fingers now

cheers

Mick

sleepygreg
30-01-2010, 12:15 AM
OUCH!!!!.....well done

Greg

Benno1
30-01-2010, 12:45 AM
what bait did you catch him on Mick???...good eating size :D...where abouts are you fishing???
Cheers for the pic and report.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

-spiro-
30-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Lol Mick you must be a tough @#$% to hold onto a cobe with a handline even at that size.... Was it enough to feed the blokes on the rig?
Cheers Chris

trueblue
30-01-2010, 09:34 AM
what bait did you catch him on Mick???...good eating size :D...where abouts are you fishing???
Cheers for the pic and report.

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

setup was a double paternoster

70 m water depth

bait was cubes of trevally flesh

location is South China Sea

100 lb line

was actually fishing for pan sized table fish with rod / reel and just chucked a handline in to sit unattended while I fished with the rod

cheers

Mick

trueblue
30-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Lol Mick you must be a tough @#$% to hold onto a cobe with a handline even at that size.... Was it enough to feed the blokes on the rig?
Cheers Chris

yeah, it will feed quite a few today..............

surprisingly, its not as hard as one might think to get a cobe that size on a handline IF, and only IF, it comes from deep water. You must also have a stretchy line, and take your time bringing them up to tire them out. If they want to go for a burn while deep, a couple of wraps on a handrail does the trick till they tire a bit

bringing them up quickly and letting them go for a burn with not much line out is all pain - so not advisable

cheers

Mick

Spot82
30-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Thats only a baby, back when i was a younger chap we used to regularly get them 25kgs with the biggest we ever landed on a handline being 37kg at Rooneys at the top of fraser in about 30m of water. Oh how i dont miss the cut fingers and the whiplash on my legs!!!

Anthony

trueblue
30-01-2010, 12:38 PM
agreed, its only a small one, and agreed, it wasn't all that hard to catch

vertico
30-01-2010, 12:43 PM
mick got a 15kg job on some 80lb braid i had to handline in and yerh i was wrapping it around the rod holders on my boat to get it to the boat, was a few braid cuts tho!

top fish to keep you out of trouble at work though mate
sean

Angla
30-01-2010, 09:23 PM
"Don't try that at home" I say

Good chewing for sure though

Cheers
Chris

trueblue
30-01-2010, 09:45 PM
nah, lets give it a crack up at our Sunny Coast cobe spot Chris............

just for laughs

you can drive the boat and take the photos mate! I'll play silly buggers with the handline just for kicks

only got one small cut from the line

cheers

Mick

longone
31-01-2010, 02:33 PM
I destroyed a Saltiga Z6000 jigging for AJs off the Sunshine Coast and had to handline it in. Had the drag cranked and fell forward in the swell with the force of the initial run smashing the reel against the rail and ripping the bail arm assembly off. Replaced the bail arm for $90, got all the braid back and boated the fish:-)