PDA

View Full Version : Creek to Coast TV Shoot

Smithy
29-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Had Scotty Hillier and cameraman Punky out today to film a show. We ended up with 3 nice spanish mackerel and 2 school mackerel for the few hours we tried. Each fish took a while once in the boat filming them all different angles and Scotty running over different segment breaks and intros etc. They didn't really start to come on until mid-morning with a bit of tide working. The change of the tide was a bit quiet. Should end up a good segment.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/Pics041s.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/Pics043s.jpg

kitty_cat
29-01-2010, 06:50 PM
always good fun with the boys from creek to coast smithy
cant wait to see the show let us know when its on.

fishfreak01
29-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Hey smithy,

Good to see that they are still around, Did you get them live baiting?

fishfreak

Angla
29-01-2010, 08:07 PM
You have to be successful to be able to take a TV crew out and catch good fish.

Good on you Smithy

Cheers
Chris

-spiro-
29-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Geez Rob you must be getting popular whats that your 2nd shootting with them?
Good one

Smithy
29-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Chris,

had to cancel one time before Christmas too due to the weather.

Alex,

All caught on live yakkas. Couldn't get any bonito or slimey mackerel today. On my best days on live bait the mackerel pros from here would still do better on slow trolled pillies. The Mooloolaba mackerel pros are the guns of the game. Funny how we can still get the spotties up here on the troll or casting at schools but by the time they hit you guys down there you have to be super cagey with super light wire and half pillies on cubes of coolite and all that Gold Coast style. Bit of a sign of how they react once the get hit by people pressure. CQ and NQ guys can probably get away with using Bowden cable for them!

Adam_G
29-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I was working on another charter when Scotty was filming a segment a few years ago, I wish I could have seen the out takes;D . What goes on and what the public sees are two different things hey Rob;).

Adam

Scott nthQld
29-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Chris,

had to cancel one time before Christmas too due to the weather.

Alex,

All caught on live yakkas. Couldn't get any bonito or slimey mackerel today. On my best days on live bait the mackerel pros from here would still do better on slow trolled pillies. The Mooloolaba mackerel pros are the guns of the game. Funny how we can still get the spotties up here on the troll or casting at schools but by the time they hit you guys down there you have to be super cagey with super light wire and half pillies on cubes of coolite and all that Gold Coast style. Bit of a sign of how they react once the get hit by people pressure. CQ and NQ guys can probably get away with using Bowden cable for them!

Nah its not quite that easy Smithy, infact I rarely use wire when chasing mackeral, usually only on expensive lures and even then it's no longer than 20cm or so I usually go with 3-4m of 80lb mono for a bit of stretch when trolling with braid and about 1.5m of 60lb when drifting pillies or floating livies under a balloon, but that only happens when we don't accidently gaff the hooked fish's totally green mates that come up with it!

Smithy
30-01-2010, 03:54 AM
Nah its not quite that easy Smithy, infact I rarely use wire when chasing mackeral, usually only on expensive lures and even then it's no longer than 20cm or so I usually go with 3-4m of 80lb mono for a bit of stretch when trolling with braid and about 1.5m of 60lb when drifting pillies or floating livies under a balloon, but that only happens when we don't accidently gaff the hooked fish's totally green mates that come up with it!

I bet the pros up there on the spawning aggregations off Lucinda and Cardwell still use spoons and wogs on Bowden cable and get away with it along with some of the commercial guys fishing the reef and Torres Strait. Like shooting fish in a barrel and that is where Scotty is from, Lucinda. You fish smarter than that Scott so your results are probably heaps in front of the average mackerel fisho up there.

fishandchips
30-01-2010, 09:31 AM
nice work smithy will see you out there soon in my new boat luke:D :D

Liberty
30-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice Smithy!

Spaniard_King
30-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Hows that new Donk Smithy, an Improvement I bet:)

Scott nthQld
30-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I bet the pros up there on the spawning aggregations off Lucinda and Cardwell still use spoons and wogs on Bowden cable and get away with it along with some of the commercial guys fishing the reef and Torres Strait. Like shooting fish in a barrel and that is where Scotty is from, Lucinda. You fish smarter than that Scott so your results are probably heaps in front of the average mackerel fisho up there.

yeah when in migrate and spawn mode they will eat just about anything, but avoiding using wire will see more strikes and hook ups and overall more fish, I might lose more, and the batting average will be worse but I'd rather have the 5-10 spaniards boatside fishing without wire than be the bloke standing next to me getting 1 or 2 with wire in the same period.

But I'd much rather leave them well enough alone this time of year, a local fishing identity got one the other week that went about 14-15kg, so not big, and gave a (un)healthy dose of cigutera to his whole family, including his 2 young boys....not good. I think from now on though, for consumption, I might limit myself to a 10kg fish, tastes better anyway

GBC
30-01-2010, 08:21 PM
RRRRRRing a ding ding, Smithy's the King ;D.

Never wasted money on catching spannos up North. Off Weipa a bit of frayed rope and some folded coke can as a flasher brought them on thick and fast.

Trolled all morning off Cape Moreton today and couldn't buy a bite. Maybe I should've gone to.......nah not even a little bit funny.

rogerb
30-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Look forward to seeing the show, let us know when it's on.

Well done, Rog

Jono_SS
30-01-2010, 09:15 PM
hmmm, I was wondering what all that noise was coming from the blue stabicraft...;D

dad and i ended up with "just the spotties", plus lost 2 jelly beans - 1 with all it's associated jewellry and the other just lost its propulsion system. I will seriously consider spending time to get smaller livies next time - ones I can keep alive in the bait tank. Meanwhile, Horse, can you please PM me some plans for PVC tuna tubes!

I wonder how things will shape up after this next week of interesting weather???

see you round Smithy.

Jono SS

Awesome
31-01-2010, 08:08 AM
You got two bananas in your tub..............oh no

Jono_SS
31-01-2010, 08:54 AM
2 bananas and 6 spotted mackerel....bananas are welcome onboard Hodad - in my opinion they're too good a food to leave behind based on superstition.

seawind8
31-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Yer i am the same no wire just 80/100 lb leader and i wont keep any spanish over about a meter, just releas the bigger ones
Cheers

jtpython
31-01-2010, 10:12 PM
I was working on another charter when Scotty was filming a segment a few years ago, I wish I could have seen the out takes;D . What goes on and what the public sees are two different things hey Rob;).

Adam
I'm hearing ya seen them at the Hook Up one year seems one of the crew had way to much to drink got some good photoage of it
JT

blueline
01-02-2010, 08:22 PM
good stuff smithy, im sure i seen an Ifish episode with you in it.

Smithy
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM
The day after I struggled a bit compared to a few guys on here I know but eventually they came good once the tide started to run a bit.

Quee and her fish.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/IMG_0032_800.jpg

Chuong and his fish.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/IMG_0046_800.jpg

And Brad fighting a schooly during a squall. They got too much and we headed in then.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x197/blackfin15/Charters/2010/January/IMG_0050_800.jpg

Blueline,

yep we were catching Cobes.

Roger,

will let everyone know when I know.

Gary,

there is a post in boating chat.

Luke,

you will love the 4 banger on the back.