PDA

View Full Version : Central QLD business to modify my boat?

rumy1
29-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Hi all

I want to convert my Quintrex 4.2m tinnie from a tiller steer to a side console. I asked a local business in Gladstone to give me a quote, he said he would ring me this Friday with the quote. That was three weeks ago, I have rang each Friday and he always says " sorry mate, been busy, make it next Friday". Enough is enough after the same response today ! If this is how long it takes to get a quote, how long would it to actually take to get the job done. I am pissed off with the local service in Gladstone so if any one can recommend a business in either Bundaberg or Rockhampton for this mod to happen please let me know their details !!
Shop locally they say !!! What a joke, I will happily spend my money out of this town and I was born here.

comfortably numb
29-01-2010, 07:41 PM
I reckon i know who you were supposed to get a quote from, based on previous experience.

Have you tried rambla in the marine centre (behind yamaha)?

rumy1
29-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I reckon i know who you were supposed to get a quote from, based on previous experience.

Have you tried rambla in the marine centre (behind yamaha)?

I have been told not to go there as they are way too dear. Might go and get a quote anyways.
Thanks for the advice.

Member101
29-01-2010, 11:41 PM
There is a boat repair joint just up from the kingdon st boat ramp (behind the old harvey norman, about 200m up auckland creek from VMR boat ramp). Not sure what they do but might pay to call them.

Steve

Damned67
30-01-2010, 12:38 AM
I have been told not to go there as they are way too dear. Might go and get a quote anyways.
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, but sometimes you get what you pay for......
If nothing else, it's worth asking for a quote.

mitch92
30-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Do you need someone to do the whole lot i.e run the cables and all up to the console, or do you just want console put it? If you were able to do the cable side of things then perhaps look at fabrication places (Connor's Welding Works type places).

rumy1
30-01-2010, 01:30 PM
I am a Homer Simpson when it comes to doing hands on things so I just pay for the whole lot to be done.
I have been to that place behind the old Harvey Normans for the last three weeks. Not naming any business !!!
He mustn't want the work.
Will give Gladstone Marine Centre a go next week.

warti
30-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Try Rambla-Blaise Ramsey. You will get what you pay for.

comfortably numb
30-01-2010, 02:31 PM
I had Blaise (Rambla) make me up a tank reasonable price and top job

jtpython
30-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Brent Riley Riflen Boats In parkhurst Rockhampton he is awesome
Makes his own Plate boats and will look after you

mangomick
30-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd try Rambla .I've only heard good stuff about him and geez he builds a really nice craft as well. Its going to cost you $50 in fuel if you have to drag it to Rocky or Bundy and another $50 to pick it up when they are finished.

noboatyet
31-01-2010, 12:53 AM
As others have said go and talk to Blaise at Rambla boats. You do do get what you pay for, the quality of his his work is spot on. Just check out his latest boat that he built for himself!! But you are right about customer service in Gladstone, it can leave a bit to be desired.
Good luck
Muzz

rumy1
31-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks fellas, will wait till the rain disappears then I will go and see Rambla ... will let you all know how I got on !

rumy1
03-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Looked on Ebay and found a pre fabricated side console for $385 + $35 postage. I bought it, thought this was a good price and good layout. Will hopefully see Rambla in the next day or two.

swift
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
If it doesn't work out for you with Rambla, RMD fabrications in Bundaberg can definitely do what ever you want. Russell has been building / modifying pressed and plate boats for well over 15years and does a terrific job.

Sorry but I don't have his phone number off hand but if your interested, just let me know and I will find it for you.

White Pointer
04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
G'day,

At the risk of giving a few free plugs to people I don't know, I've just read F&B magazine (Feb-2010) and on page 80 and 81 Neil Dunstan has just done what you want to do and achieved success.

He names the people who did the work around Sarina and it would seem they are pretty efficient and apparently reasonable. That's a bit of a hike for you so I suggest you (a) buy the mag and read the article (b) make contact and get a quote (c) decide if it's worth the trip, and (d) work out how much fun you can have in that part of the world trialing the conversion ... hee hee.

Regards,

White Pointer

rumy1
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
If it doesn't work out for you with Rambla, RMD fabrications in Bundaberg can definitely do what ever you want. Russell has been building / modifying pressed and plate boats for well over 15years and does a terrific job.

Sorry but I don't have his phone number off hand but if your interested, just let me know and I will find it for you.

Thanks Swift !!

rumy1
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
G'day,

At the risk of giving a few free plugs to people I don't know, I've just read F&B magazine (Feb-2010) and on page 80 and 81 Neil Dunstan has just done what you want to do and achieved success.

He names the people who did the work around Sarina and it would seem they are pretty efficient and apparently reasonable. That's a bit of a hike for you so I suggest you (a) buy the mag and read the article (b) make contact and get a quote (c) decide if it's worth the trip, and (d) work out how much fun you can have in that part of the world trialing the conversion ... hee hee.

Regards,

White Pointer

Thanks White Pointer, will be buying that magazine am tomorrow !!!

rumy1
10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Just been to Gladstone Marine Centre and got terrific service. They first quoted me for supplying and fitting forward control, steering cables, steering wheel, hour meter and a full service. I bought my own side console from Ebay and have now fitted this, good looking unit. ($380 + $40 postage.) I was happy with this quote but the service guys said I should talk to the boat/motor sales man about a new motor.
So I did ! He quoted me a new Yammy 30hp ETO (better model than the CV Yammy motor I have now) oil injected, trim & tilt, forward control, steering cables, steering wheel and hour meter - all with a three year warranty, fully fitted for $750 more than the about lot.
Sign me up I said. The next surprise was when he said would next Tuesday suit - hell yeah !!!
I was thinking of getting trim & tilt anyways so this is a bonus. Looking forward to next week now. Will let you all know how it all goes !!!